Used 2013 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Never Again
By sarahh2

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had previously purchased a 2007 Mariner that I loved, but the new model Escapes are nothing like the old version. Between test driving the car and having it delivered from the dealership, the brakes warped, so I was back at the dealership within the first week of owning it. In the 7 months that I owned this vehicle, I also had it serviced for the driver's side window that wouldn't go up when it was cold out, the rear drivers side door wouldn't latch when it was cold, the computer had to be reset b/c the transmission delayed after depressing gas. Final straw was failure of the restraint control module, which activated 3 warning lights (traction control, airbag and hillside assist failure).

The model I owned was actually a 2.0L SE model, which had great pickup and horsepower, thanks to the bigger engine. Luckily, that engine has not yet been recalled, like the 1.6L. I liked the 2-tone interior and the blindspot mirrors... and that's about it.

Ford needs to make drastic changes to improve the safety and reliability of this car. The biggest frustration was the MySync feature, which only worked about 1/2 the time and was so difficult to get Bluetooth Audio to work that most of the time I just listened to the radio (which completely defeats the purpose of BT Audio). I only received max 22 MPG on the highway, a far cry from the 29 MPG they boast from the EcoBoost engine. Just recently unloaded the Escape for a VW Jetta Sportwagen (at a loss, but worth it for added peace of mind).

Disappointed in my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium
By kellyg511

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium in November, 2012. Since then, I have had numerous mechanical/electronic problems. Faulty door hands, a power lift gate that didn't work, a bluetooth phone system that no one could hear me on, a radio with no sound, a defroster that didn't work secondary to radio issues, steering issues, and most recently a blown transmission. My last trip to the repair shop lasted 51 days. I am left with nothing but aggravation and what I believe to be an unreliable/unsafe vehicle. Have an ongoing case with Ford Motor Company, which has been passed through nine people - none of which have given me any support. Asking ford to repurchase my vehicle. I've had enough.

Nothing at this point. Such a disappointment.

Ford Motor Company should not be okay with customers paying close to 40K for a vehicle that has so many issues. My main suggested improvement is better customer service. Having my case passed through so many representatives does not make me feel like you care - it conveys the message of the complete opposite. That they do not care. Very sad. My father has worked for Ford for almost 35 years and is devastated by the trouble I have been having...and the lack of assistance available.

Too Many Safety Issues and Recalls
By walk_the_walk2

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car had a major mechanical breakdown involving cam phazors at 730 miles, which required a major engine rebuild. Then the recalls started... there are 10 all total for 2013 Escapes; 4 affect my car - two related to the engine catching on fire, one for air bag (RSM) module programming and one for "door latch problems that can lead to doors flying open while driving". The airbag RSM failed at 8600 mi. Asked FORD to BUY BACK this vehicle, after the 2nd recall (engine fire). They REJECTED our request. Today I was told they would "NEVER buy back our car". Shocked to learn of 2 new recall issues 2 days ago, 5 days after the BB denial. Our FORD rep knew of safety issues but didn't tell us!!

Nice exterior design, comfy seats, very peppy and fun to drive, lots of high tech features.

Make the car safe! THIS CAR IS "UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED". Stand behind your design and RECALL THE ONES THAT ARE NOT SAFE. FMC is working the lemon laws depending on which state you buy the car in, and they are not going to do the right thing and buy back your car unless you sue them in court. At least, this is the message I got from FORD today. So, we feel stuck with an unsafe deathtrap and lemon vehicle. WE WERE GOING TO BUY A 2014 FORD EXPLORER BUT WILL NEVER BUY FORD AGAIN.

Tried hard to like my Escape
By bvarga1749

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my 2013 Ford Escape SE AWD 1.6 EcoBoost used October 2013. Received a great deal from Ford dealer, this was preowned with 18,000 miles. Two months after I had to fight to get my rear tail lamps replaced due to water leaking in. Ford requires 50% condensation and then pictures sent in. This was unacceptable, Ford replaced. Overall, this was fun vehicle to drive. Good pickup with Ecoboost but very hard shift jolting points with transmission. Also the transmission seemed to lag when pressing pedal. Center console is not long enough or big enough, along with glove compartment. Long trips, seats feel hard. Luckily I had $1800 equity, traded for 2014 Toyota Rav4 XLE.

EcoBoost engine, sporty feeling to drive around corners. Fairly did well in deep snow over the winter. Had several big storms over the 2013-2014 winter months and the Escape did not hesitate in the deep snow. Soft touch dash materials.

Small gas tank, this became annoying weekly and on long trips. City driving I could only get 220 max on one tank. I am good on the gas pedal, coast up to stop lights, stop signs. Mixed city and highway I was getting 17.8 MPG, far off from what Ford states. Highway was 24.6 MPG cruising at 70 MPH, again far away from what Ford claims. This was also with my dash stating I was an "ECO Champion" with my driving. Rav4-24.6MPG mixed.Ford customer service, rep I spoke to was rude when I could originally not come to terms with a resolution to tail lights being replaced. Overall, I encourage to test drive all the competition. I was lucky to not roll over money when trading for my 2014 Toyota Rav4.

2013 Eco Boost
By topsee

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my Escape in the fall of 2012 and it presently has less than 12k in miles on it. Four recalls on this model. Sync system failed and the dealer reset it and said they could not provide the replacement part unless the system failed completely. I would not purchase an Escape until the problems are remedied on the factory level. for the Eco Boost engine. Presently back at the dealer with a low coolant/service warning, which I suspect has something to do with the last recall work not done correctly. I am contemplating trading as I am now uncertain of the vehicle's future.

Fun to drive, very nimble, Sync system, has more room for taller people than others in the same class, comfortable seats, excellent highway mileage

correct problems with the Eco Boost engines