2013 Escape Not Ready for Prime Time
By ggbear on
2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I have owned a 2013 Ford Escape SEL AWD with the 2.0L engine for nearly three months and have driven it for about 4,300 miles. I have had multiple issues with the vehicle since the day of delivery. We chose this vehicle over several others based on reviews, the perception that Ford has turned the corner on quality and seeing at an auto show. We ordered it before any were available for a test drive. Sadly, a potentially great vehicle has been one bad experience after another.
Favorite Features
On the plus side, ride quality, handling, acceleration, audio system sound quality and styling are great.
Suggested Improvements
Interior quality control and gas mileage. A trim panel on the center console had a paint run in the clearcoat and had to be replaced. The interior handle on the driver side rear door was not seated properly in the door panel, resulting in the entire interior door panel needing replacement. The interior clock does not consistently keep time. The exterior temperature reading tends to freeze--sometimes taking a few hrs of driving before it registers the correct time. Two of the rubber bumpers, one on a door and one on the underside of the hood, fell off and had to be replaced. The gas mileage is nowhere near the EPA estimate--more like 17-18 city and 22 highway--and I don't drive aggressively.
By mary1cakes
on 09/24/12 14:24 PM (PDT)

I agree every thing that is happening to you is happing to me, Now i;m having troubles with breaking, the care will pull to one side eather the right or left and i have almost hit someone twice. I have brought it in 5 time to be looked at for several differant things and they keep telling me there is nothing they can find and to bring it back when i can make it do this, I'm afraid to drive it that it pull me into someone and hit someone or go into the ditch. and the sync not good with touch screen , lose the radio stations al lot and clock dont work right and they tell me they cant do anything till the new updates come in a few months, I said what a few months, I was not happy. I was so excited to get this new car and now i have nothing but troubles. HELP!!!!!!!

By btatr
on 10/07/12 09:37 AM (PDT)

I just rented an SEL version from Budget for a very long trip, and despite some very annoying problems, I loved the vehicle. Let's start with the good news. It handles well, is extremely comfortable, there's plenty of storage room for a small SUV, acceleration is excellent, it's fun to drive, and it looks great. Now let's move onto the negatives. Please keep in mind there was no user manual in the glove box to help me out. There are so many controls and buttons, especially on the steering wheel, so I couldn't figure out how to do certain things. The Ford My Sync system was very confusing and more complicated than it should be. Maybe if I had a user manual, it would have helped but it certainly wasn't intuitive. On the plus side, the audio was very good. One other aspect drove me crazy and that was the A/C fan speed which blasted away the entire trip. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to moderate the fan speed so cold air was blasting away the cabin. The only setting that seemed to work was AUTO but it wouldn't allow me to control fan speed. I directed the cold air at the floor which seemed to slow down the volume of air a little. But come on Ford, you have to make things easier for drivers to figure out. It shouldn't be so complicated. Don't you test these things out with potential customers?