2013 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Terrible Car
By thumper055 on 03/12/14 11:23 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Nothing But problems with this car. it has just over 51,000 km on it and has been through 4 fuel pumps, 2 water pumps, a transmission rebuild and all engine gaskets have been replaced. It recently bogged down on the highway with foot to the floor and only being able to maintain 70 km/hr. Luckily got it home and parked it before it shut off on its own. When brought to the dealership they could not find any problems and couldn't do anything to help solve the problem. It was purchased new off the lot and have had nothing but problems since. Over 3 years of owning there has been around $20,000.00 of warranty work done. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Horrible gas mileage and resale is horrendous
By stack2 on 02/22/14 21:05 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Escape Titanium not even a year ago. It was the first Ford I had purchased and liked it enough to buy my wife an Explorer. Overall fit and finish is descent and the performance has been good. However the gas mileage has been horrendous! I am averaging 19 MPG in mostly highway miles when the car is supposed to get 21 city, 28 highway, 24 combined. It doesn’t matter how you drive it, the absolute best I have seen is 21 on the highway. I have also had numerous issues with the parking sensors going off on their own, and the BLIS popping up warning alerts and the navigation freezing. When I take it to the dealer they state they can’t find anything wrong.

2013 Ford Escape AWD
By gailgwen on 02/03/14 15:26 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car when it first came out. It handles well and is peppy. My biggest complaint is the gas miles: 17 miles in town (worse than my 2003 Explore) and if I am lucky I get 23 miles on the highway. I can barely get 200 miles on a full tank highway driving. Also, I have the towing package, the kicking the leg under the rear bumper is not possible. Finally, the seats front seats are small.

Terrible MPG, Bad Interior Design
By roadkingmi on 01/18/14 07:53 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have owned our Escape for 1 year and 13,000 miles, and it has been very disappointing. We bought the car because it was great looking with great "advertised" gas mileage... and have been disappointed ever since! The gas Mileage is not even close to advertised, more like 18-20 city, 24-26 hwy (on 2400 mile trip with cruise control) and 21=22 avg. The interior design is at first comfortable, until you realize that other than a coffee mug there is no place to put any thing except the very narrow and deep center console storage (once down there forget about finding it again) also all the electronic plug ins are in there under the arm rest very inconvenient

One of my all time least favorite cars
By thorpaj on 01/04/14 14:57 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has been in my possession for 9 months. I drive a lot of company vehicles and rentals through my job, and this is just not a very good vehicle. It is noisy, does not handle well, has very hard gear shifts at times, absolutely terrible rear view site lines, gets about 22.5 mpg with almost all highway driving (cruise control mostly). For the price get a way better sedan, there really is not all that much more room it he trunk to warrant getting this over a good sedan. Heck I had the fusion hybrid as my previous vehicle and it was great. Oh, one last thing, the acceleration is inadequate, sometimes I need a quick burst for highway driving and there is a dangerous 2 second lag.

High style. Zippy and Fun to Drive
By albyg on 12/29/13 08:52 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I recently bought a 2013 Escape SEL with 13,900 miles on it. We have only had it for a week, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. But, the time I have had driving it has been rewarding. Compared to the archaic, Jeep Cherokee Limited which it replaced, it is a little larger, yet drives like a sports car. The 1.6 liter EcoBoost is powerful and responsive. The handling of this little SUV is really nice, the steering is quick and extremely responsive while the suspension provides a firm, nimble ride. The brakes are very good, although touchy - requiring a light, controlled foot. Our average gas mileage, for mixed city-highway is 26MPG, but includes 2 70 mile trips.

Buyer Beware
By srghmn on 12/27/13 11:46 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Trouble almost from day one. Car pulls to the side during acceleration, it shifts very hard like it is having transmission problems. Had it recalled 3 different times leaving me with a rental car for weeks. The radio does not always turn off when I open the door to exit the vehicle, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. The rear lift gate doesn't always lock, it allows you to open it but then the alarm goes off. You never know if the blue tooth system will connect to my phone thru the speakers or thru privacy mode. Turning radius is horrible, and visibility is the worst in any vehicle I have ever had. Trading it ASAP.

Great Compact SUV!
By ykolettis on 12/20/13 23:21 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Got this as a second car to spare my '11 M3 winter wear and tear in the Midwest. Test drove the Santa Fe, RAV4, CR-V and CX-5 before settling on the Escape. Have had the car for five months and still very much enjoy driving it daily.

good suv bad seats
By billho94 on 12/11/13 12:11 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First thing i would like to say is I'm a Nissan car salesman. I have no bias with domestic vehicles. The escape rides beautifully. I drove a rental from Atlanta, Ga to Green Bay, Wi through a major storm. No problems at all. The seats are the problem. Nissan has the zero gravity seats which are 100% more comfortable than the Ford seat. The engine and transmission work together just fine. Great visibility

Disappointed
By huskymomma on 10/25/13 07:04 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded in a Rav4 lease for this 2013 Escape. On the plus side the power is fantastic and it looks great. On the neg side less room than the Rav, milege is no where near the 30 highway even after reaching the 5K mile break in period. Controls are difficult to reach. Everything falls out of the glove box when you open it and it is very small. It doesn't feel as solid. This is my first American car in a long time. I will go for the Honda CRV next time. Very disappointed.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford Escape Suv in VA is:

$142 per month*