2013 Ford Escape S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2013 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

2013 Ford Escape SEL 2.0L Turbo
By thelaw

2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just bought this car, has under 200 miles on it. Opted for the tow package with the 2.0 liter engine. Smaller than the mid-size SUV that I traded in but I love the handling and extra horsepower of the 2 liter engine. If you have a big family this car may NOT be for you. Skip the pricy options such as Nav, Park Assist, Back Up sensors, BLIS, Cross Traffic, and Power Lift Gate. Dealer included installation of the roof rack in the price. This car has many of the luxury items that my wife's new Volvo S80 has. I guess Ford learned something when they owned Volvo way back when. Highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Leather Panoramic roof Technology Handling Styling Towing Capacity

Suggested Improvements

Rear Seat comfort Rear visibility Pricy options

First Ford in 40 years
By docwalleye1

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Replaced wife's 2005 Rav-4 with a new Escape. First Ford I bought since my Mach 1 Mustang back in 1970 (wish I still had that one). Love the car! Test drove several SUV's and it was love at first drive with the Escape. Had it all. Comfort, performance, and style all great. Especially like the interior design. It is so smoooooth and quiet to drive that I leave my car and take hers when I can. Got basic SE model and added leather seats in the aftermarket for $950, for a total of $24,600, plus TTL. I agree with one magazine review I read that said the new Escape puts the "Sport" back in SUV! Am getting 28 mpg in combined, mostly rural driving. Got 32 on a trip down I-90.

Favorite Features

Electronic assist steering. Like the no gas cap, just a fuel port.

New Escape
By rtp_owner

2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased a brand new Escape - for mileage - went from 07 Suburban to 09 Mariner (slightly better MPG but no go) to 11 Edge (about same MPG but more go) to $4.00 gas and hence the Escape. Very cool car. Did NOT get nav - $800 - did NOT get park assist (miss rear radar though) $1000 and did not get sunroof ($1 zillion). Consequently ended up with leather my ford touch (much improved over 2011) heated seats dual climate control etc for $26K. Seats much firmer than the edge - videos on ford website actually discussed seat design. Rear air is great. Rear passengers however had no control over their reading lights. Car handles very very well - surprisingly so.

Favorite Features

Handling and braking - first rate Fordtouch - much improved and not at all difficult to use. Still not speaking much to it - have to read the manual and learn how to talk to it. Little bitty teeny motor is peppy. All city driving so far - rated for 23 and we get about 25 - we can get 26 if we annoy everyone and go the speed limit and accelerate gently from stops lol. Controls are contemporary - I'm not much into pods but that's a style question. The little readout between the speedo and tach is fun to watch - little lights appear when you turn on headlights - fun to put on brights or fogs and watch display change. Four weeks into this car - so far - very pleased - good choice for us.

Suggested Improvements

Rear view radar was standard on 2011 Edge SE. Why not standard on a 2013 Escape SEL without having to spring for park assist. Huge windshield - just a comment - not a criticism. Old style wipers = takes a few mins getting used to the first time. Most controls can be run by manual buttons and by the my ford touch - good call on their part. But the manual tuning function via buttons isn't that great - how about a rotary knob - they have one for volume. That's about the best I can for criticisms. Overall for our family a really good choice.

Escape much improved in 2013
By gassendi

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded up from my 2007 Legacy sedan - needed more room and better mileage, and I found both at Ford. We have a 2005 Mazda Tribute (rebadged Ford Escape) and we have really liked it, when the Subaru proved unreliable, we looked at the new Escape and chose it over the Forester and Mazda CX-5. Exterior styling is excellent - much more like BMW than Ford's traditionally blocky lines. Interior is very comfortable for extended rides, roomy and functional, too. One lever fold-down rear seats give a flat floor for loading cargo; back seat is roomy enough for a 6-ft adult to sit comfortably. Still learning My Ford Touch system, but voice command works reasonably well.

Favorite Features

1.6L Eco-Boost is peppy and very good on gas - currently averaging 26.5 mpg in mixed driving. Interior is very roomy and comfortable for 4 adults and luggage. Rear luggage floor can be flat for easy loading or drop 4 inches for extra cargo room. MyFordTouch works better than expected. Sync works flawlessly with my Droid Razr phone - excellent audio all around. Exterior styling is superb!

Suggested Improvements

I would really like a reasonably priced navigation system on a car with this much tech. Ford wants an upgrade to SEL and $1000 for this option, Tom-Tom or Garmin will do it for $2-300 tops. Also would like a power moonroof option for the SE level of trim - not willing to add 7K to go up to a Titanium edition to get this.

2013 Escape Not Ready for Prime Time
By ggbear

2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned a 2013 Ford Escape SEL AWD with the 2.0L engine for nearly three months and have driven it for about 4,300 miles. I have had multiple issues with the vehicle since the day of delivery. We chose this vehicle over several others based on reviews, the perception that Ford has turned the corner on quality and seeing at an auto show. We ordered it before any were available for a test drive. Sadly, a potentially great vehicle has been one bad experience after another.

Favorite Features

On the plus side, ride quality, handling, acceleration, audio system sound quality and styling are great.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality control and gas mileage. A trim panel on the center console had a paint run in the clearcoat and had to be replaced. The interior handle on the driver side rear door was not seated properly in the door panel, resulting in the entire interior door panel needing replacement. The interior clock does not consistently keep time. The exterior temperature reading tends to freeze--sometimes taking a few hrs of driving before it registers the correct time. Two of the rubber bumpers, one on a door and one on the underside of the hood, fell off and had to be replaced. The gas mileage is nowhere near the EPA estimate--more like 17-18 city and 22 highway--and I don't drive aggressively.

A good first effort...
By southtx

2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

... but room for improvement. 1.6L Ecoboost is plenty of go for everyday use, but doesn't achieve anywhere near the advertised fuel economy. Transmission is smooth. Interior appointment is nice in the front seating area with soft-touch material, but cheap with hard plastic in the back. MyFordTouch and SYNC are still buggy and seem to do whatever they want, with no rhyme or reason. 'Wave your foot' liftgate is a neat gimmick that doesn't work reliably. Much easier to find the key fob and hit the button twice.

Favorite Features

The center stack design is very nice to look at. Giant windshield, great sight. MyFordTouch is very cool when it works as advertised (which, unfortunately, it doesn't very often). Memory seats/mirrors are a very nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

Seats look to be the same as what's been put in Escapes since the 2008 model year. They're not UNcomfortable, but they could be better. The telescoping wheel is nice, but doesn't have much 'travel'. The steering wheeel has waaaay to many 'functional' controls on and around it. You'll spend a lot of time looking to make sure you're doing what you're trying to do. The windshield wiper controls are very hard to get used to, especially if you're in an area where it doesn't rain often. And the 'opposing' wiper movement is just odd.

The wait is finally over
By dentond1

2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

A few weeks I made the final decision on the Escape. I have been tracking it for more than a year through its design and testing cycles and liked all the reviews that I had read on it. Ford had no reason to update the Escape but they did, and I like it! When compared to similiar compact SUV's it stands on top. The 1.6 Eco has plenty of power but the 2.0 Ecoboost doesnt have to be pushed much to get in and out of traffic quickly. The Tech features make the drive easier and My Ford Touch is 1000X's better than first generation Synch models.

Favorite Features

Leather My Ford Touch with Navi Ecoboost 2.0 - rocket with a high quality feel Power Liftgate Single Lever Seat Folding operation second row 1 Touch up and Down on ALL windows Vista Roof Option Very Large Cabin Area with plenty of head/leg room

Suggested Improvements

Switch to defeat handsfree liftgate so Tow Pkg can be added. Add Larger softkeys on My Ford Touch for Climate/Nav/Audio/Phone Quadrants

Lovel our Escape
By jslpal69

2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We traded a top end CR-V for our new Escape about 2 months ago. While we enjoyed our CR-V and felt it was an excellent vehicle, we really love our new Escape even more. While the CR-V was efficient for getting from point A to point B, the 2013 does the same thing with lots of class and pizzaz. It is peppy, handles like a go cart on rails and has lots of quality features as well as "bells and whistles" that make it fun to drive. Everyone who sees it raves about what a sharp vehicle it is. Being a retired couple, we are not terribly "tech savey" but we have been able to figure out most features of MyFord Touch with no problem. Glad we bought the Escape instead of others we drove.

Favorite Features

Our favorite features would be the engine/transmission operation and smoothness, the style both inside and out, and the many technology features, as well as ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

The Escape needs an "instant fuel economy" readout that informs the driver of curent economy. An "average economy" readout is not sufficient. Also need a readout of % of oil life left. Need more than just a message that it is time for oil change. Even with its many features, the Escape is over priced compared to the competition.

New Escape Rocks!
By rf9928

2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Fantastic vehicle! Acceleration is quick and very responsive, leather seats are very comfortable, has every feature one could ever want in a car right now and also has good gas mileage. Ford Touch has worked great for the moment and I haven't had any issues like I read about. Hopefully that will continue. I really don't have any complaints at the moment.

Favorite Features

Ecoboost engine, leather interior, blindspot monitoring, My Ford Touch.

Suggested Improvements

Brake pedal and accelerator are a bit close like other people have mentioned, but it's really not a huge deal to me.

Very solid
By sven7

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After a week of mostly 2 lane highway driving, I offer the following observations. The cabin is very quiet and the ride quality in the front seats is excellent. It handles choppy pavement quite well. In my opinion, it continues Ford's recent unfortunate trend of being overly "tech-happy" even when the benefits appear slim. I was able to find one without FordTouch. Sync will only partially connect with my older Bluetooth phone, making but not receiving calls, a problem the salesperson says is common. I strongly suspect the buyer demographic for this car will be much older than for the Focus/Fiesta and simpler would be appreciated.

Favorite Features

Quiet, smooth ride. Predictable handling. Driver seating position.

Suggested Improvements

Offer option of power seats and perhaps even leather on the SE. The power liftgate absent the hands free feature turns out to be rather inconvenient. The reception range for FM stations is barely 30 miles (compared to 100 in my other car), possibly due to the windshield antenna design or possibly due to a deal with Sirius to make the radio bad enough that subscribers will stay on after the trial period.