Used 2013 Ford Escape Titanium SUV Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

2 years old & I've spent $7,000 in Repairs
By Bruce Reasoner

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I own 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 L ecoboost AWD I bought new in 2013 It has 77,000 miles almost all freeway.. This year I've spent $7,000 in out of warranty repairs.
Faulty injector and faulty BCM (body control module) $2,500.
New transmission $4,500
I am so disgusted with the quality of the Ford Escape
This is worst car I've ever owned and I think I would rather be hung by my toes than purchase a Ford Escape.
HEED THIS WARNING.. FORD ESCAPES ARE ENDLESS MONEY PIT.

Never Again
By sarahh2

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had previously purchased a 2007 Mariner that I loved, but the new model Escapes are nothing like the old version. Between test driving the car and having it delivered from the dealership, the brakes warped, so I was back at the dealership within the first week of owning it. In the 7 months that I owned this vehicle, I also had it serviced for the driver's side window that wouldn't go up when it was cold out, the rear drivers side door wouldn't latch when it was cold, the computer had to be reset b/c the transmission delayed after depressing gas. Final straw was failure of the restraint control module, which activated 3 warning lights (traction control, airbag and hillside assist failure).

The model I owned was actually a 2.0L SE model, which had great pickup and horsepower, thanks to the bigger engine. Luckily, that engine has not yet been recalled, like the 1.6L. I liked the 2-tone interior and the blindspot mirrors... and that's about it.

Ford needs to make drastic changes to improve the safety and reliability of this car. The biggest frustration was the MySync feature, which only worked about 1/2 the time and was so difficult to get Bluetooth Audio to work that most of the time I just listened to the radio (which completely defeats the purpose of BT Audio). I only received max 22 MPG on the highway, a far cry from the 29 MPG they boast from the EcoBoost engine. Just recently unloaded the Escape for a VW Jetta Sportwagen (at a loss, but worth it for added peace of mind).

Escape SEL FWD 2.0 Excellent Small SUV
By happymotor

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love the body style, with the 2.0 turbo engine, powerful, fuel efficient on regular fuel and quiet. Quality materials throughout and workmanship appears to be first class. Blue tooth, navigation, Sony sound system (awesome!) with Ford "My Touch" and "Sync" is well integrated, user friendly and works flawlessly. The Escape has a firm sporty ride but is not harsh and can carve up twisty turns and curves better than most cars with exhilarating fun and confident authority. Heated leather seats are supportive and comfortable even on long drives. Storage space is pretty generous and can haul 3500 pounds with optional towing package with ease. Absolutely enjoy driving it every day.

Sporty body style, 2.0 Engine, My Touch/Sync, Navigation, Sony Stereo, Blue Tooth, Leather Seats, Panoramic sunroof, practically everything.

Optional towing package should also accommodate backup camera and hands free power lift gate, this an unacceptable tradeoff that should not exist! Wireless charging "pad" for cell phone. Convenient storage space for coins or other small items, cooled/ventilated front seats.

Very pleased with SEL 2.0 FWD
By automelon48

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Coming from a slightly larger SUV with a 4.0L engine, I was anxious to keep the power but improve on fuel economy. I also do some trailer towing in the summer, so I really needed the power. I ordered a 2013 Escape SEL 2.0 FWD, with towing package.
Great choice!
Even though Canadian winters are snowy, I did not want the extra expense, weight, or fuel economy of an AWD system. I am achieving the EPA mileage (22/30) as long as I drive sensibly. (have kept mileage records for 12,500 miles) I have the latest release of the My Ford Touch system and it works quite well. Vehicle looks and rides great with 18" wheels. Tows trailer without a thought. First Ford in a long time and I am very pleased.

Update 3+ years of ownership 51Kmiles, (81K km). Still happy with my purchase. Gas mileage (hand calculated) is 25.3MPG without trailer towing. Dashboard display is close to that. It has an average error of 2.1% on the optimistic side. (dash display would be 25.8MPG) Very few recalls or problems. Low maintenance costs. Air filter is very hard to change. (Poor design.) Battery reserve seemed to diminish after 3 years, so I replaced that. (also hard to change, with very awkward placement) Let the dealer change your battery and your air filter. Still happy with my choice of FWD. Even in Canada AWD is not required for most people. Seems to be more marketing hype than anything. Generally very pleased. Bought out the lease after 3 years were up.

Gas mileage
By paigemc

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car in March 2013.
The gas mileage I have gotten is 15 mpg city and 19 mpg highway.
This has been verified with the dealership.
They can find nothing wrong with the car and Ford advises this is within the normal range.
If you are looking for a car that is economical, this is not the car for you.