Used 2013 Ford Escape Titanium SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Never Again
By sarahh2

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had previously purchased a 2007 Mariner that I loved, but the new model Escapes are nothing like the old version. Between test driving the car and having it delivered from the dealership, the brakes warped, so I was back at the dealership within the first week of owning it. In the 7 months that I owned this vehicle, I also had it serviced for the driver's side window that wouldn't go up when it was cold out, the rear drivers side door wouldn't latch when it was cold, the computer had to be reset b/c the transmission delayed after depressing gas. Final straw was failure of the restraint control module, which activated 3 warning lights (traction control, airbag and hillside assist failure).

Favorite Features

The model I owned was actually a 2.0L SE model, which had great pickup and horsepower, thanks to the bigger engine. Luckily, that engine has not yet been recalled, like the 1.6L. I liked the 2-tone interior and the blindspot mirrors... and that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to make drastic changes to improve the safety and reliability of this car. The biggest frustration was the MySync feature, which only worked about 1/2 the time and was so difficult to get Bluetooth Audio to work that most of the time I just listened to the radio (which completely defeats the purpose of BT Audio). I only received max 22 MPG on the highway, a far cry from the 29 MPG they boast from the EcoBoost engine. Just recently unloaded the Escape for a VW Jetta Sportwagen (at a loss, but worth it for added peace of mind).

Escape SEL FWD 2.0 Excellent Small SUV
By happymotor

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love the body style, with the 2.0 turbo engine, powerful, fuel efficient on regular fuel and quiet. Quality materials throughout and workmanship appears to be first class. Blue tooth, navigation, Sony sound system (awesome!) with Ford "My Touch" and "Sync" is well integrated, user friendly and works flawlessly. The Escape has a firm sporty ride but is not harsh and can carve up twisty turns and curves better than most cars with exhilarating fun and confident authority. Heated leather seats are supportive and comfortable even on long drives. Storage space is pretty generous and can haul 3500 pounds with optional towing package with ease. Absolutely enjoy driving it every day.

Favorite Features

Sporty body style, 2.0 Engine, My Touch/Sync, Navigation, Sony Stereo, Blue Tooth, Leather Seats, Panoramic sunroof, practically everything.

Suggested Improvements

Optional towing package should also accommodate backup camera and hands free power lift gate, this an unacceptable tradeoff that should not exist! Wireless charging "pad" for cell phone. Convenient storage space for coins or other small items, cooled/ventilated front seats.

Very pleased with SEL 2.0 FWD
By automelon48

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Coming from a slightly larger SUV with a 4.0L engine, I was anxious to keep the power but improve on fuel economy. I also do some trailer towing in the summer, so I really needed the power. I ordered a 2013 Escape SEL 2.0 FWD, with towing package. Great choice! Even though Canadian winters are snowy, I did not want the extra expense, weight, or fuel economy of an AWD system. I am achieving the EPA mileage (22/30) as long as I drive sensibly. (have kept mileage records for 12,500 miles) I have the latest release of the My Ford Touch system and it works quite well. Vehicle looks and rides great with 18" wheels. Tows trailer without a thought. First Ford in a long time and I am very pleased.

Favorite Features

Voice commands with MFT work well. Listening to and responding to text messages via MFT is great. Power of 2.0 Turbo is awesome. Great handling for this type of vehicle. (very car-like, almost sports car like) Sony stereo has GREAT bass, but is not as strong in the upper range. (still good) Memory seats/mirrors that sync with a key-fob. Memory opening-position on tailgate. The list goes on. No recalls and no warranty issues for my vehicle. (just a couple of free MFT upgrades) 120VAC outlet built-in. Backup camera is great on a nice big screen. Blind-spot monitoring is surprisingly useful. Self parking works well, but I only use it to entertain passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Cabin storage is not great. I am always looking for a place to put some coins etc. There is none. I would love a manual gearbox, but I may be in the minority. I have seen a Ford Kuga Diesel with a manual 6-speed in Europe. That would be nice!!!

Gas mileage
By paigemc

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car in March 2013. The gas mileage I have gotten is 15 mpg city and 19 mpg highway. This has been verified with the dealership. They can find nothing wrong with the car and Ford advises this is within the normal range. If you are looking for a car that is economical, this is not the car for you.

Glad I waited to review my Escape
By kahunaman

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My last vechicle was a great car, a VW CC Turbo, it ran like the wind and handled great while getting 22 city and 32 hwy, however it only seated 4 and had very little room. I was pleased by the Escapes Turbo, handling, cargo, 5 passenger seating and all of the great features on my Titanium however The EPA rating of 22 and 30 just wasnt to be. The city millage was meeting and or exceeding the estimates but despite driving very conservatively I was only getting 24 hwy on my first real road trips. Then after 5 months and 3800 miles I am proud to say my Escape just got 29.5mpg fully loaded with 5 passengers and luggage on a family vacation. I ran premium gas and the AC at about 65-70. Awesome!

Favorite Features

The Sync is much better than reported. The my touch offers loads of info and the non-GPS information system is very accurate. The handling is exceptional and the turbo is spunky. To quote my 14 year old sun, its like driving a space craft. More space in back than I had realized.

Suggested Improvements

More storage in front.