2013 Ford Escape SEL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Love my SUV
By rgtstylist on 09/02/14 19:05 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned my Escape SEL almost a year. Yes I have had recalls, 4 in fact. But recalls are not unusual in the industry. Toyota Honda GM Hyundai etc have all had recalls. I love my SUV and the service Department at my Ford dealership is fantastic. Most of the gas mileage complaints seem to be coming from AWD models as I have read thru the reviews. My SUV is FWD and I have gotten over 30mpg with cruise control set on a highway ride. for the price of my SEL model that is really loaded I think it is a great choice for a smaller SUV. Power and handling with exceptional style.

Our last Ford
By southtx on 07/07/14 12:51 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just traded off our '13 1.6L Ecoboost with 28k miles after finally losing confidence in the vehicle. The stylish interior and Ford loyalty sold us to begin with, but the several recalls and follow-up notifications that the recall work might not have been done correctly took a toll (nine documented service events, and a handful of 'quick fix' visits). While we had no problems at all with the navigation, the rest of the MyFordTouch system was even 'buggier' than what's prominently mentioned in reviews. It never worked properly (or with any pattern of consistency) from the day the vehicle was new. Fuel economy was never anything near what's advertised. Wind noise was very bad.

Good Vehicle
By lee169 on 07/06/14 05:06 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I did a lot of research on the 2013 Escape before buying and found lots of negative comments. I was seriously considering buying something else until I found a forum and found 300% more positive comments. I bought mine recently and here's some positive reviews. - MPG: go easy on the gas petal and you will get or exceed the EPA MPG. I drove mine around Houston then to Ft Worth and avg 30.3 and that was using turbo 2-3 times. - Recalls: Ford is trying to fix problems...recalls are good. Yes, they are annoying, but better fixed than nothing. - Everything else: Interior/Exterior trim is great. Seats CAN be comfortable, take the time to set them up properly. Overall great car!

Fords Poor Customer service & Warantee
By jfrender on 08/19/13 06:09 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2013 Ford Escape 10 months ago and have replaced the engine air filter on my echo boost engine with a k&n air filter. The plastic housing is cracking by the metal screws and 1 screw housing was stripped when purchased. I did not over tighten screws but the service mgr at Gaudin says I did because that wa his unintelligent response. Ford Motor Co. Regional Customer Service Mgr. Nikki out of Phoenix is going by what Gaudin Said. Ford will not honor Warrantee and the filter housing is thin plastic which is deteriating from heat and vibrations. A future problem could exist on all 2013 and 2014 Escapes and cause accelerated engine failure. After purchasing Fords since 1955 the serv

2.0 L FWD SEL - After 6 months & 3000 miles
By lsw74 on 05/05/13 14:02 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am aware of quite a few negative reviews and am often 2nd guessing myself on the purchase of my 1st new car (at nearly 40 yrs old). I don't have to drive as much as I used to because I work from home so my driving experience with this vehicle is not as extensive. Overall I love it. There are things I would change but the ride is great, the power is great (2.0 L but not an option here for SEL), and it's very comfortable. It feels like a sports sedan. I average 25 mpg, spot on the EPA est. People need to remember that highway rating is not highway/interstate slow & go driving. My mpg drops when my husband drives it so how you drive really does affect mpg.

Multitude of Flaws... And Ford has been making cars for 110 years?!
By monroviaguy on 04/05/13 16:48 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Always a Honda owner, I switched to the Escape because of cool gadgetry and improved reputation. Incentives sealed the deal, but it's been downhill since the purchase. It's been recalled for a potential fire issue. Fuel economy is horrible!! My previous V6 Honda got 20 mpg driving the exact same daily commute, but my Escape only gets 21 (should be closer to 27)! The Sync MyTouch (upgraded) system is terribly glitchy, sometimes freezing up, telling me the wrong time (by hours), losing all audio... infuriating!! Ford doesn't know why. Apps (as advertised) aren't available on the more expensive system, only the base Sync! I had high hopes, but Ford will never earn my business again.

Happy to buy American...
By sfneal on 03/09/13 16:39 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall am very happy with my purchase. Quiet, high quality cabin. Sync voice commands work most of the time and are very convenient. Engine is very responsive and ride is smooth.

Really regretting my purchase
By adolle on 01/08/13 11:14 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned the Escape for only 3 months now and regret it! The microsoft sync touch system is failing miserably. Some of the functions on it freeze making things like the phone and ipod unusable all together. The navigation system can drive you in circles, literally, then just fix itself a few minutes into the drive and now the screen has just gone black, completely turned off, while driving. A few minutes after it goes black a message comes up saying "updating". I've been reading these things happening to many people but because it's not an issue with the car itself, but with the computer, the dealer just "updates" it, which fixes nothing then sends you back on your way.

Lessons from KIA
By buddyn on 12/02/12 12:03 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Ford advertized mpg on this vehicle is a joke. On flat AZ hwy at 75 mph, with ac off you get 25 mpg. No way near the advertized 33mpg . The EPA went after KIA & Hyundai why don't they go after ford. Don,t buy this car if you expect good milage you'll be very dissapointed.

New Escape
By rtp_owner on 10/24/12 01:48 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased a brand new Escape - for mileage - went from 07 Suburban to 09 Mariner (slightly better MPG but no go) to 11 Edge (about same MPG but more go) to $4.00 gas and hence the Escape. Very cool car. Did NOT get nav - $800 - did NOT get park assist (miss rear radar though) $1000 and did not get sunroof ($1 zillion). Consequently ended up with leather my ford touch (much improved over 2011) heated seats dual climate control etc for $26K. Seats much firmer than the edge - videos on ford website actually discussed seat design. Rear air is great. Rear passengers however had no control over their reading lights. Car handles very very well - surprisingly so.