2013 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Nice to look at, but that's it.
By ondemand26 on 08/29/14 17:51 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this car in Oct '13. Very beautiful and a little out of my price range, but I decided to get it since it had every possible option on it. That was a mistake! This car has been out of service almost 2 weeks total and started having issues at 1,100 miles. Rattling in the front, wheel thumping and loud noise in strut sounds like it's coming off after a sharp turn, hatch won't shut correctly, sync system randomly shuts off, blind spot monitoring system doesn't work sometimes or it's incorrect. I have to second guess it constantly. The only nice thing is the way it looks inside and out. Interior storage space is virtually nonexistent and legroom up front isn't great.

Long road trip
By explorerx4 on 08/12/14 18:26 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Back from a 2500 mile road trip with our 2013 AWD Titanium. It's a good road trip vehicle. Fuel mileage is pretty good, about 26-27 mpg overall, and it has plenty of power. Handles the PA hills on I-80 with ease. Both front seats are ok for spending some hours in.

Be Warned
By ken117 on 07/20/14 01:58 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Had a 2013 Ford Escape since April 2103. Got rid of it in July 2014. I was fooled by the seemingly positive reviews which swayed me over past experiences with Ford. Five recalls and a seemingly endless list series of issues. Some small like defective trim to some not so small. Things like the radio volumn which was never satisfactory or an issue with the cooling system which took three days to fix. Thankfully, the thing was still under warranty. Knowing Ford, I owned three previous Ford mistakes, better to trade. Seriously, my BMW had way fewer issues than this Ford. Ford, never again!

Our last Ford
By southtx on 07/07/14 12:51 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just traded off our '13 1.6L Ecoboost with 28k miles after finally losing confidence in the vehicle. The stylish interior and Ford loyalty sold us to begin with, but the several recalls and follow-up notifications that the recall work might not have been done correctly took a toll (nine documented service events, and a handful of 'quick fix' visits). While we had no problems at all with the navigation, the rest of the MyFordTouch system was even 'buggier' than what's prominently mentioned in reviews. It never worked properly (or with any pattern of consistency) from the day the vehicle was new. Fuel economy was never anything near what's advertised. Wind noise was very bad.

Good Vehicle
By lee169 on 07/06/14 05:06 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I did a lot of research on the 2013 Escape before buying and found lots of negative comments. I was seriously considering buying something else until I found a forum and found 300% more positive comments. I bought mine recently and here's some positive reviews. - MPG: go easy on the gas petal and you will get or exceed the EPA MPG. I drove mine around Houston then to Ft Worth and avg 30.3 and that was using turbo 2-3 times. - Recalls: Ford is trying to fix problems...recalls are good. Yes, they are annoying, but better fixed than nothing. - Everything else: Interior/Exterior trim is great. Seats CAN be comfortable, take the time to set them up properly. Overall great car!

Never Again
By sarahh2 on 05/21/14 20:47 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had previously purchased a 2007 Mariner that I loved, but the new model Escapes are nothing like the old version. Between test driving the car and having it delivered from the dealership, the brakes warped, so I was back at the dealership within the first week of owning it. In the 7 months that I owned this vehicle, I also had it serviced for the driver's side window that wouldn't go up when it was cold out, the rear drivers side door wouldn't latch when it was cold, the computer had to be reset b/c the transmission delayed after depressing gas. Final straw was failure of the restraint control module, which activated 3 warning lights (traction control, airbag and hillside assist failure).

Disappointed in my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium
By kellyg511 on 05/17/14 09:35 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium in November, 2012. Since then, I have had numerous mechanical/electronic problems. Faulty door hands, a power lift gate that didn't work, a bluetooth phone system that no one could hear me on, a radio with no sound, a defroster that didn't work secondary to radio issues, steering issues, and most recently a blown transmission. My last trip to the repair shop lasted 51 days. I am left with nothing but aggravation and what I believe to be an unreliable/unsafe vehicle. Have an ongoing case with Ford Motor Company, which has been passed through nine people - none of which have given me any support. Asking ford to repurchase my vehicle. I've had enough.

Too Many Safety Issues and Recalls
By walk_the_walk2 on 05/12/14 14:35 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car had a major mechanical breakdown involving cam phazors at 730 miles, which required a major engine rebuild. Then the recalls started... there are 10 all total for 2013 Escapes; 4 affect my car - two related to the engine catching on fire, one for air bag (RSM) module programming and one for "door latch problems that can lead to doors flying open while driving". The airbag RSM failed at 8600 mi. Asked FORD to BUY BACK this vehicle, after the 2nd recall (engine fire). They REJECTED our request. Today I was told they would "NEVER buy back our car". Shocked to learn of 2 new recall issues 2 days ago, 5 days after the BB denial. Our FORD rep knew of safety issues but didn't tell us!!

Tried hard to like my Escape
By bvarga1749 on 04/27/14 17:19 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my 2013 Ford Escape SE AWD 1.6 EcoBoost used October 2013. Received a great deal from Ford dealer, this was preowned with 18,000 miles. Two months after I had to fight to get my rear tail lamps replaced due to water leaking in. Ford requires 50% condensation and then pictures sent in. This was unacceptable, Ford replaced. Overall, this was fun vehicle to drive. Good pickup with Ecoboost but very hard shift jolting points with transmission. Also the transmission seemed to lag when pressing pedal. Center console is not long enough or big enough, along with glove compartment. Long trips, seats feel hard. Luckily I had $1800 equity, traded for 2014 Toyota Rav4 XLE.

2013 Eco Boost
By topsee on 04/21/14 18:12 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my Escape in the fall of 2012 and it presently has less than 12k in miles on it. Four recalls on this model. Sync system failed and the dealer reset it and said they could not provide the replacement part unless the system failed completely. I would not purchase an Escape until the problems are remedied on the factory level. for the Eco Boost engine. Presently back at the dealer with a low coolant/service warning, which I suspect has something to do with the last recall work not done correctly. I am contemplating trading as I am now uncertain of the vehicle's future.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Ford Escape Suv in VA is:

$142 per month*