Used 2013 Ford Escape S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Very happy w/ my new scape
By es314

2013 Ford Escape S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I love this suv , good on gas

6 speed transmission

3rd row seat

Think about your decision carefully
By chevylover229

2013 Ford Escape S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My family purchased the 2013 Ford Escape S about three months ago (This is July of 2013) and at first we were SO happy, but about a week past and we had a sync problem, then a lift gate problem and so on and so on. Though this is a very NICE (Key word) car. I still have a few years to go before saying i like ford... Cause at the moment; I don't. The low base price and High MPG, mixed with the design of this car make it a real catch. So if you can afford slightly higher priced car, I strongly hope you do. Another car that might suit your fancy would be a Chevy Equinox that we also own and love three times more. With a spacious 2nd row and quiet interior make a better choice by a long shot.

The interior and exterior are of high quality and the materials used make you feel better about yourself. The fact that it has a sport mode and a Standard mode... Well lets just say i might have been pulled over... also there are a few cool secret compartments for hiding things you don't want your kids seeing. The base stereo is pretty good!

The problem is that Ford still has a problem with build quality; if you live on a dirt road like us, DO NOT BUY IT! It gets dirty so fast you can't even make it out of the car wash; the rear seat is a bit snug; the low trim is the only compact crossover/SUV in America besides the Mitsubishi Outlander sport that comes with hubcaps, and though the hubcaps are pretty; against competitors like the GMC Terrain, Chevy Equinox Toyota RAV 4 and Honda CR-V. the low trim standard features are low.

Very Loud Knocking! After Cold Start.
By maniac4

2013 Ford Escape S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I got a 2.5 liter S model, I do believe it has engine damage. It has 700 miles on it. Extremely loud lifters as well as lower end knocks. cold But after about 20 minutes of driving it gets somewhat less noisy. I think I might have low oil pressure. But of course the dealer says its normal. Without even listening or checking.. But other than that is ok I guess. No other complaints, I got synch but why bother. I don't use it. I just hope this motor smoothes out or blows. I stayed away from the turbo cause I figured Id be keeping it for a long time. Aint much for high tech. But the motor worries me a bit. but hey. A motor can be replaced. I hope it smoothes out though . Anyone have any input?

Everything but the motor! Everything else works as it should.

R and R motor. Its hard to rate this wagon with the engine noises I have. I made a video of it to show the dummies at the dealer how it sounds in the cold start mode. Why do we have to diagnose our vehicles. seems to me Nobody cares anymore! They claim a 5-60 warrantee but the dealers are very difficult to work with.

falling apart
By strssed

2013 Ford Escape S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

my 4wheel drive 2013 escape has 50000 miles on it.My air quit working and I've been told it has a problem in the line somewhere also was getting new tires told the front bearings are bad.My suv also clunks when I apply the brakes who knows what the nexy problem will be. I traded a 2004 toyota with 130000 miles on it with no problems.Should have bought the 4 runner.I won't be keeping this car much longer.

sunroof.traction control in the snow.

Love it!
By gijanetexas

2013 Ford Escape S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After having my 2003 Ford F-150 truck for ten years I got this Escape in Nov. 2012. They had the black and steek gray colors $2000.00 cheaper at my dealer so I decided I could live for a dark color to save money (I live in Texas where it is hot). It is the base model but it is FWD, has the basic Sync, remote start (dealer choice to install on all their cars), and door edge coating protection. The first few oil changes were included with special coupons as well as other couponds for discounts on services. Lots of cupholders. It has places for your umbrella and a big glove box. Plenty of storage for small items in the tire storage area. City driving has me getting 21.4 to 21.5 MPG.

My truck had roll up manual windows, a regular key, and nothing extra but a CD player. So I love this basic S model because it has all the electronic doors, windows, mirrors, etc. I love talking to friends through the Syncing of the phone with the car so you can talk on speaker. I would like to try the Sync subscription but they charge $60 for a year. No free trial with the S model and I'm not sure I would us it enough to justify the $60. The radio you can plug your phone or ipod into to listen through the car speakers. It comes with front floor mats, you have to buy the back ones. There is a compartment in the floor in the back seat to put your valuables (wallet, electronics, small purse).

I agree with most critics that the Sync radio/CD/phone panel is too complicated. Less buttons please. The climate control vents are next to the audio controls and they are kind of squished in there kind of weird. I bought a storage cover accessory and it doesn't cover the whole back storage area. About an inch you can see in which I can live with but for $130.00 you would think it would cover everything. I caution you if you take the great interest rate they find you that you ask the bank/CU some questions first. The one I ended up with (EECU) charges you $11.00 to pay your bill online. I ranted and raved to them in an e-mail about it and basically they don't care at all about that.