Free Vibration Included :-(
By vikings2417 on
2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I purchase a new 2012 Ford Escape 3 weeks ago and have been dealing with a strong and annoying vibration while the vehicle idles in drive, reverse, and low. It's fine in park and neutral. If you want to have the new car look with the 30 yr old junker feel, buy this vehicle. Per Ford, "this is a charateristic of the vehicle" and there is nothing wrong. The two techs that sat in it, agreed that it was very noticable but since there weren't any service lights or codes, there must not be anything wrong. Buy a Rav4 or CRV (I've owned both) if you're looking for a small SVU. Skip the Escape!
Favorite Features
Ford Sync
Suggested Improvements
Fix the vibration please! If this was fixed, I would love my Escape. But as it is, I will never buy a Ford again for fear all Fords vibrate like an old exercise machine.
By jh719
on 01/04/12 17:42 PM (PST)

I also purchased a 2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A) - it was FWD. Purchased it in August. Same problem; vibration at idle when in drive after the car is warm. The dealer looked at the car and said there is a bulletin on this problem but they do not have a fix yet. The bulletin was issued in October 2011, which does not make me feel confident they will fix it.

By angiek1
on 05/22/12 17:40 PM (PDT)

Did either of you ever figure out anything on the vibration problems with your Escape? We also have a 2012 and have had it at the dealership 3 times for the same issue. They agree that there is a problem, but no fix! I just wondered if you ever got a fix!!!

By vikings2417
on 02/20/12 21:56 PM (PST)

Update on my vibration issue. I brought it back in (2nd visit) and the service manager saw it this time. Again, agreed there was a strong vibration throughout the vehicle. We set another appt to have them take a look at. The next day I get a call saying that Ford has finally issued a repair bulletin on this issue. I bring the vehicle in and unfortunately, there is no improvement. It may even be a little worse. I spoke to the service manager again and was told that Ford has told them not to make any more attempts to fix this issue. "Just a waste of their time and money." He said Ford is still working on a fix but since they haven't given the dealership a date, not to expect anything in the near future. We're talking years, not months. The V6 model does not have the vibration so I asked the dealership what if they would work with me by trading my 2.5L for a 3.0L V6. Their response was it will cost me $6500 to get the exact same vehicle except the engine upgrade which only costs $1195 per the window sticker. My 3 month old, 2000 mile vehicle has depreciated $3300 below what I paid for it. I will never, ever buy a Ford again! I've contacted a lemon law attorney just to see if they can give me any suggestions on how to proceed.

By jh719
on 06/11/12 06:47 AM (PDT)

Had my 2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A) back to the dealer 3 times now and it has not been fixed. Ford states that the vibration is just "the nature of the vehicle". Started to follow the New Jersey "lemon law" process. Sent Ford an offcial letter and Ford sent a tech to look at the vihicle one more time - same result - he said it is just "the nature of the vehicle". Now I have contacted an attorney. By law the attorney fees are covered by FORD. Will see what happens. PS - Don't by a FORD!

By sweetmeli
on 07/12/12 14:54 PM (PDT)

by the way this car does not deserve 4 stars, I would give it a 2 or 3.

By sweetmeli
on 07/12/12 14:52 PM (PDT)

I bought mine back in March and that vibration is quite annoying. Wish I could just take it back. The dealer said there are a lot of people complaining and I asked so are they going to do anything about it? They said probably not, it is the size of the motor....

By escapeford
on 07/13/12 07:48 AM (PDT)

It looks like several people have commented on this vibration problem. I am considering buying a Ford Escape and would like to know if the vibration problem is with all Escapes or only with the 4 cyclinder model. I think I have seen one review that said they heard of this vibration problem but they did not have it on their V6 mode. Can anyone tell me if the vibration, noise occurs on the V6 model?

By campmulli
on 07/20/12 15:42 PM (PDT)

I have the V6 and it still vibrates and I am quite unhappy with this car truthfully and will not purchase another one.

By frdrang03
on 08/14/12 14:51 PM (PDT)

Wow I surprised I have a 2012 v-6 and have none of these issue and think you all are just looking for issues I'm a Mechanic and firmly believe that ford makes a great vehicle and we rarely see this issue at your dealership my Wife have own both CRV and Rav-4 . her CRV caught fire after take our kids into the daycare building she walked out to her car on fire, the insurance co investigated and found the fuel line cracked leaked all over the engine we then bought a Rav-4 cause of Toyota's rep and we where wrong or bought a lemon cause on an average per month we where spending twice the amount of our monthly payment in the end the engine went at 104233 miles we installed and new one and sold the car and are very happy with the Escape. Before you guys ask why didn't we buy a Ford to begin with, I have to say I advised my Wife of what I thought, it was up to her and she bought what she wanted. Now She told me to Buy her vehicles for her. My drawn out point is anything can can break its all in how your drive it and take care of it and nothing is Maintenance free. I will agree that the 4 cyl vibrates but all do, its normal every manufacture has its issue and if its the nature of the car then there is nothing they can do other then take the car back. But look at it this way Toyota has the world largest Recall ever with there throttle issue and they argue with Customers for over 10 years saying that its was the floor mats, so at leaset Ford is trying to please and provide customer service rather then blaming the Customer.

By dense1
on 10/26/12 05:41 AM (PDT)

I have a 2010 4 cyl escape and had the same vibration. Ford also told me it's a "normal characteristic". I took the car to an independent mechanic and he FIXED the problem!!! :) He replaced the rear transaxle mount that he said was defective. It was worth it to pay him $175 to now have a smooth ride. That vibration was so annoying that I would put the car into neutral at every stop light! I know you all are talking about the redesigned 2012 model, but maybe this information will help you all. Good luck!

By campmulli
on 07/20/12 15:43 PM (PDT)

Don't put the back windows down and plan to be able to hear well either, the vibration only is maginfied at that point and it is horrible. In fact it almost feels as if ear drums could rupture from the vibration.

By dense1
on 10/26/12 05:43 AM (PDT)

I just noticed it's actually the 2013 model that is redesigned, so hopefully replacing the transaxle mount on the 2012's really will help!