Used 2012 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great SUV
By brendino140

2012 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This was my first ford vehicle and probably will not be my last. I got the 2012 model because of the big changes for the 2013 crossover model. The escape provides a nice ride and great handling. I feel very safe driving in poor weather conditions. The interior design is great and provides great visibility. But, I recommend the V6 model for the best driving experience.

Ford Sync and bluetooth. The Ford sync bluetooth is the best I have seen in the market. Similar vehicles do not match to the quality of the phone functions. And, the blind spot mirrors are GREAT.

The exterior needs some improvements to the rear bumper. Also, the headlights are just 'ok'.

A solid value
By ripdaddy

2012 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Leased the 4-cyl Escape and took a 1500 mile trip. The four cylinder is adequate. Passing power on the highway was pretty good. The only problem would be long steep grades. The 6 speed auto shifted smoothly. It didn't hesitate to downshift when needed. The engine only turns over 1700 RPM at 60 MPH. The first leg of the trip was mostly interstate with about 100 miles of Ozark hills and twisties at the end. I have an easy foot and averaged 30MPG going and 28MPG returning against a 20mph head wind, lightly loaded. This is a great around town vehicle. I wouldn't want to take on the Rockies, though.

Smooth auto. Steering has excellent feel. Very comfortable seats. easy folding rear seats for a perfectly flat cargo area. Road noise well controlled. Good heating and A/C controls. Good side mirrors and good outward visibility in all directions. Easy to enter and exit.

Button to scroll through information center awkward to reach. The cruise doesn't indicate it is on until you hit the set button. The fuel door doesn't lock, and I don't like the capless fuel filler tube.

Near perfect SUV
By billf5

2012 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my 2012 Escape Limited with the V6 engine for 10 months and 10,000 miles. There has been no reason to bring it back to the dealer since purchase. I am getting 19 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. I love the looks and features of this well proportioned SUV. With full time 4 wheel drive it handles great in rain and snow. Never any slipping or sliding. For the money I think you get a lot of vehicle.

I love the blue tooth and voice commands.

The vehicle is noisy. Engine and wind noise is pronounced. Extra insulation and thicker glass would make a big difference. The radio doesn't sound premium as advertised. I weigh 225 and the seats aren't as supportive as I would like. The fonts on the GPS are too small for me to easily read as I drive. Memory seats are surprisingly not available. The faux Crome and shiny interior plastics appear cheap.

My FIRST SUV - Loving it !
By gwsmith

2012 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

First off, this is my first new car in 30 years, and have been a Saturn owner for the last 10... I needed something to transport my keyboard gear to the shows. Now, there is plenty of room for all the equipment now. Owned for only 6 weeks and the OD just turned 1800 miles and it has been 100% problem free thus far!

Car is QUIET and very smooth. This one is a FWD (lighter) model with the 3.0 V6 and very quick for its 240 HP. You can toast up the front tires if you start from a traffic light too aggressively (O: My average MPG is hanging right at 25.4 according to the display, and I can't complain about it.. I am enjoying a GOOD audio system (Premium) where I don't have to change - cutup or ADD stuff... I have been doing that with too many cars in the past. Love the SYNC voice command and built in satellite receiver, USB connection. The added turn by turn GPS system works very well too. I can go on and on.. PWR seat - Mirrors - cruise control, conveniences I've missed for a long time!

Only thing I can think of is DISC brakes for the rear wheels.........but, alas, the 2013 model has changed all that... 2012 being the final year for THIS generation means that it has seen many improvements over time. The drive train has proven itself since 2009 one would think.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR IN A 4 CYL
By ewalker2

2012 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car is terrible in a 4cyl. It has no pick up and go from a stopping position. A honda civic can accelerate faster then this SUV. Not to mention this car hold no value. I went to trade it in and I bought this car brand new, it has 9000 something miles, great shape its a 2012 and the dealership offered me 13500. even though i just bought it 9 months ago for 23500. Waste of time and money now I'm stuck with a horrible vehicle.

• SUV