Used 2012 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

New Car, Bad Transmission
By mitchelld

2012 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This was our 3rd new Escape (2005, 2007, & 2012). We have always liked the 'box' for use ability. However, our 2012 XLT V6 Escape developed transmission problems at about 10,000 miles. Ford adjusted trans and slipping seemed to disappear ... initially. Over time it got worse with terrible slipping, hunting for gears, & loud clunks as it found 1st & 2nd gears. At 20,000 miles Ford now tells us the transmission will need "several new parts" (which they have to order). No, they will not replace the trans ... just fix it as they tried before. Our goal now is to get the car running and dump it. We are the 3rd generation of loyal Ford customers and, we are the LAST.

Favorite Features

Design, size, and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to fix their transmission problems.

My FIRST SUV - Loving it !
By gwsmith

2012 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

First off, this is my first new car in 30 years, and have been a Saturn owner for the last 10... I needed something to transport my keyboard gear to the shows. Now, there is plenty of room for all the equipment now. Owned for only 6 weeks and the OD just turned 1800 miles and it has been 100% problem free thus far!

Favorite Features

Car is QUIET and very smooth. This one is a FWD (lighter) model with the 3.0 V6 and very quick for its 240 HP. You can toast up the front tires if you start from a traffic light too aggressively (O: My average MPG is hanging right at 25.4 according to the display, and I can't complain about it.. I am enjoying a GOOD audio system (Premium) where I don't have to change - cutup or ADD stuff... I have been doing that with too many cars in the past. Love the SYNC voice command and built in satellite receiver, USB connection. The added turn by turn GPS system works very well too. I can go on and on.. PWR seat - Mirrors - cruise control, conveniences I've missed for a long time!

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I can think of is DISC brakes for the rear wheels.........but, alas, the 2013 model has changed all that... 2012 being the final year for THIS generation means that it has seen many improvements over time. The drive train has proven itself since 2009 one would think.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR IN A 4 CYL
By ewalker2

2012 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car is terrible in a 4cyl. It has no pick up and go from a stopping position. A honda civic can accelerate faster then this SUV. Not to mention this car hold no value. I went to trade it in and I bought this car brand new, it has 9000 something miles, great shape its a 2012 and the dealership offered me 13500. even though i just bought it 9 months ago for 23500. Waste of time and money now I'm stuck with a horrible vehicle.

Ford Escape 3.0 ~~Great Vehicle
By Den5276

2012 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I've had the 2012 Escape XLT FWD 3.0 engine since Early April. We just drove it from NYC to Knoxville, TN & back again. It was a pleasure to drive. Got gas mileage around 22 miles a gal but I had a load in the vehicle and had a Thule Roof carrier which no doubt affected the mileage. I was amazed to see so many Escapes on the Road. A winner !!

Favorite Features

Radio was excellent. The rear seats fold down very easily providing a large space to carry luggage and all the stuff we needed to bring with us. Seats are comfortable to ride on for long trip. Excellent visibility all around.Quiet cabin, comfortable ride. . Plenty of space makes the Escape comfortable for the passengers in the cabin. Plenty of power from the 3.0 engine, getting out into traffic on the Interstates

Suggested Improvements

I thought the 3.0 Engine was a little noisey while it idled. Not as quiet as other 6 cyl engines I've had. (Ex~~2008 Chev Malibu 3.8. Quiet as a mouse) Engine had 'tapping noise'. Other that that, no problem so far.

XLT is a great buy
By jaytee

2012 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My company just delivered to me, an Escape in Steel Blue with the 2.5L and 6 speed automatic. I must say that after 3 weeks I really really like this vehicle. Not sure what Edmunds is talking about in their CONS. The rear seat takes like 2 seconds to fold it flat. Plenty of power but it is a 4 cylinder after all. Still better than my V6 Avenger. Automatic shifts smoothly and quietly. Brakes are perfectly fine.

Favorite Features

Room, driving position, very quiet generally and rides great! The Sync feature hooked up right away to my phone for hands free calls. Works like a charm. Folks looking for a real value need look no further. This car has it. The price was under 20K. Interior is a bit plastic-y but most cars are nowadays. Fit and finish is excellent. Cruises the interstate wonderfully.

Suggested Improvements

Some engine throb at highway speed when going uphill. Not enough cubbie holes for stuff. Power adjust seats would be nice as would a telescoping steering wheel.