Used 2012 Ford Escape XLT Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love Our 2012 Escape
By Jackie

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The only choices on "trim" were for Hybrids, which ours is not, but I wanted to write a review because we're so happy with our 2012 Ford Escape XLT. Now that we own a 2012 Ford Escape, I look for them on the road so I can admire the smart design, which is sporty and fun, from the metallic paint, the cargo carrier on the roof, the side runners, and the rugged looking grille, our 2012 is the best looking year for the Escape, IMHO. We had a checklist of things we wanted in our next vehicle and the 2012 Escape has it all and I love everything about it. We're very happy with the cabin size, not too big, yet we have enjoyed all the room we've ever needed and then some. The headlamps are clear and bright and I appreciate the way the car stays lit until I can get out and to the house at night. We took a long trip shortly after purchase and had plenty of space and comfortable seating. Both of us are tall people and the driver's side can be a knee bumper until you learn the car's geography, and my 6'4" husband has to duck his head to keep from bumping it upon entering the car but he says that it's still the easiest car he's ever gotten in or out of. We've had our Escape for nine months and had no problems, mechanical or otherwise. Since up-sizing from our Ford Escort, we've noticed a huge difference in comfort and sound reduction from the road. We were fortunate to find our Escape with low mileage, so we expect to enjoy many years of ownership. I read a complaint about the back seat being a pain to put down (the headrests have to come off), but for us this is not a problem since we'll probably never have to utilize the entire back of the car. And if we have to take those measures to lower the back seat, then we'll just do what we have to do. It's a back saver to easily load and unload groceries and have plenty of room to accommodate a days' worth of shopping or a long trip. We felt we got a great deal on this SUV. I adore this car and if this is the last car I ever own, I'm happy to have it be our 2012 Escape!

Great car!
By Teresa Martin

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car has been on the VIP program at Sheehy Ford since 2012.

New Car, Bad Transmission
By mitchelld

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This was our 3rd new Escape (2005, 2007, & 2012).
We have always liked the 'box' for use ability.
However, our 2012 XLT V6 Escape developed transmission problems at about 10,000 miles.
Ford adjusted trans and slipping seemed to disappear ... initially.
Over time it got worse with terrible slipping, hunting for gears, & loud clunks as it found 1st & 2nd gears.
At 20,000 miles Ford now tells us the transmission will need "several new parts" (which they have to order).
No, they will not replace the trans ... just fix it as they tried before.
Our goal now is to get the car running and dump it.
We are the 3rd generation of loyal Ford customers and, we are the LAST.

Design, size, and comfort.

Ford needs to fix their transmission problems.

My FIRST SUV - Loving it !
By gwsmith

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

First off, this is my first new car in 30 years, and have been a Saturn owner for the last 10...
I needed something to transport my keyboard gear to the shows.
Now, there is plenty of room for all the equipment now.

Owned for only 6 weeks and the OD just turned 1800 miles and it has been 100%
problem free thus far!

Car is QUIET and very smooth. This one is a FWD (lighter) model with the 3.0 V6 and very quick for its 240 HP. You can toast up the front tires if you start from a traffic light too aggressively (O: My average MPG is hanging right at 25.4 according to the display, and I can't complain about it.. I am enjoying a GOOD audio system (Premium) where I don't have to change - cutup or ADD stuff... I have been doing that with too many cars in the past. Love the SYNC voice command and built in satellite receiver, USB connection. The added turn by turn GPS system works very well too. I can go on and on.. PWR seat - Mirrors - cruise control, conveniences I've missed for a long time!

Only thing I can think of is DISC brakes for the rear wheels.........but, alas, the 2013 model has changed all that... 2012 being the final year for THIS generation means that it has seen many improvements over time. The drive train has proven itself since 2009 one would think.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR IN A 4 CYL
By ewalker2

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car is terrible in a 4cyl. It has no pick up and go from a stopping position. A honda civic can accelerate faster then this SUV. Not to mention this car hold no value. I went to trade it in and I bought this car brand new, it has 9000 something miles, great shape its a 2012 and the dealership offered me 13500. even though i just bought it 9 months ago for 23500. Waste of time and money now I'm stuck with a horrible vehicle.