2012 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
New Car, Bad Transmission
By mitchelld on 07/16/13 18:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This was our 3rd new Escape (2005, 2007, & 2012). We have always liked the 'box' for use ability. However, our 2012 XLT V6 Escape developed transmission problems at about 10,000 miles. Ford adjusted trans and slipping seemed to disappear ... initially. Over time it got worse with terrible slipping, hunting for gears, & loud clunks as it found 1st & 2nd gears. At 20,000 miles Ford now tells us the transmission will need "several new parts" (which they have to order). No, they will not replace the trans ... just fix it as they tried before. Our goal now is to get the car running and dump it. We are the 3rd generation of loyal Ford customers and, we are the LAST.

My FIRST SUV - Loving it !
By gwsmith on 10/18/12 17:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

First off, this is my first new car in 30 years, and have been a Saturn owner for the last 10... I needed something to transport my keyboard gear to the shows. Now, there is plenty of room for all the equipment now. Owned for only 6 weeks and the OD just turned 1800 miles and it has been 100% problem free thus far!

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR IN A 4 CYL
By ewalker2 on 09/25/12 20:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car is terrible in a 4cyl. It has no pick up and go from a stopping position. A honda civic can accelerate faster then this SUV. Not to mention this car hold no value. I went to trade it in and I bought this car brand new, it has 9000 something miles, great shape its a 2012 and the dealership offered me 13500. even though i just bought it 9 months ago for 23500. Waste of time and money now I'm stuck with a horrible vehicle.

Ford Escape 3.0 ~~Great Vehicle
By Den5276 on 05/03/12 13:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I've had the 2012 Escape XLT FWD 3.0 engine since Early April. We just drove it from NYC to Knoxville, TN & back again. It was a pleasure to drive. Got gas mileage around 22 miles a gal but I had a load in the vehicle and had a Thule Roof carrier which no doubt affected the mileage. I was amazed to see so many Escapes on the Road. A winner !!

XLT is a great buy
By jaytee on 02/15/12 07:44 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My company just delivered to me, an Escape in Steel Blue with the 2.5L and 6 speed automatic. I must say that after 3 weeks I really really like this vehicle. Not sure what Edmunds is talking about in their CONS. The rear seat takes like 2 seconds to fold it flat. Plenty of power but it is a 4 cylinder after all. Still better than my V6 Avenger. Automatic shifts smoothly and quietly. Brakes are perfectly fine.

Great SUV For The Price So Far
By bman27 on 11/23/11 12:04 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 05 escape so i am used to how the handle and drive. I got the car for about 21,900 for the sxt with no other features like the sun package etc.. The 4 cyl accelerates well and the handling is nice. I do agree that the brakes need to catch up with the times and go to all wheel disc brakes. If you are looking for a american car without want to spend 30k this is a nice one to try. I am tall and i fit well. The sticker did not say anything about wheel tilt but it is on all of them. No telescoping adjust but who uses that move your seat up then!

Paint problems!!!
By norm444 on 11/11/11 05:39 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My new 2012 Escape has been into the body shop now twice for paint contamination!!! Also found on the back tail gate ford did not paint the edges on the 4 lower corners!! Yes I have seen other 2012 the same way!!!!!

great truck
By misterbaker on 09/10/11 05:15 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Just traded my Nissan Pathfinder that was too big and used too much gas as well as being awful on a long trip. The Escape handles well and is very comfortable. Fits 4 adult males comfortably and the 4 cylinder still has plenty of power to move you around. Of course the interior isn't as snazzy as my wife's F-150 Lariat, but hey what do you expect for 25K less?! Overall it's my favorite of any vehicle I've ever owned.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Escape in VA is:

$123 per month*