2012 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Worth it..
By ry_american26 on 07/07/14 21:20 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I got my 2012 Escape used, about 2 months ago. $21,500 I've put almost 5,000 miles on as I drive a lot. Its almost fully loaded, Sunroof, Premium sound, heated leather, microsoft sync. This is my second Ford, and I was hesitant about this, because I had a 2008 Ford Fusion I purchased brand new for $23,000, and it was a total lemon, it was serviced a million times & had transmission issues, thats for another review though, the escape handles beautifully, is good on long trips, Sync really comes in handy because I tend to talk and drive and it allows my iPhone to play my playlists directly off the radio. I reccomond this vehicle %100

Great Car for the money
By roadrunner00 on 05/06/14 20:08 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the 4 cylinder limited model to get better gas mileage than we were getting with out 8 cylinder. Having said that you can definitely tell its a 4 cylinder. it definitely doesn't have the get up and go that Ive become accustomed to but thats a trade I was willing to make. It feels luxurious and comfortable inside which was surprising to me since I am tall and I thought it was going to be too small. But for the money you can't beat it and I am happy with my purchase.

Terrible brakes and awful safety features
By deekay18 on 08/17/13 22:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Safety: The brakes on this SUV is notorious to be the worst braking system in it's class. It takes 154 feet to stop this SUV from 60MPH and brake fade is expected, which adds on more footage. This means that it takes a minimum of 11 lengths of Ford Focus' to stop the Escape at the best without brake fade. Also, the Escape uses drum brakes on the rear. What is this 1990? The brakes also lock up frequently and this is a known problem all over the internet. The IIHS crash test ratings are not great either.

Ford Certified and after sales service- Awful processes and follow through
By sajuedmunds on 07/21/13 12:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been a big fan of Ford and GM cars with all their warts and issues, so this was a curious experience with Ford and its dealer at Lawrenceville, New Jersey. A car is really a sum of experiences. I bought a pre -owned Ford Escape Certified by Ford. Shocking gaps at all stages. 1. Ford Pre certified. Was given a gar with broken bumpers and mechanicals. The dealer refused to change it the bumper and I also decide to focus on other transmission issues. After 4 weeks, car called in for a day. I got it after nearly 2 week. No loaner or rental. 2. Service - the words dripped with honey but you know when you are spun. Ford directs you to dealer 3. Its car - rough and cheap though functional

New Car, Bad Transmission
By mitchelld on 07/16/13 18:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This was our 3rd new Escape (2005, 2007, & 2012). We have always liked the 'box' for use ability. However, our 2012 XLT V6 Escape developed transmission problems at about 10,000 miles. Ford adjusted trans and slipping seemed to disappear ... initially. Over time it got worse with terrible slipping, hunting for gears, & loud clunks as it found 1st & 2nd gears. At 20,000 miles Ford now tells us the transmission will need "several new parts" (which they have to order). No, they will not replace the trans ... just fix it as they tried before. Our goal now is to get the car running and dump it. We are the 3rd generation of loyal Ford customers and, we are the LAST.

Reliable and good gas mileage
By forager7 on 02/09/13 18:59 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had this vehicle for 100K miles plus with no problems and great gas mileage.

Great SUV
By brendino140 on 01/05/13 13:44 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This was my first ford vehicle and probably will not be my last. I got the 2012 model because of the big changes for the 2013 crossover model. The escape provides a nice ride and great handling. I feel very safe driving in poor weather conditions. The interior design is great and provides great visibility. But, I recommend the V6 model for the best driving experience.

A solid value
By ripdaddy on 12/16/12 01:13 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Leased the 4-cyl Escape and took a 1500 mile trip. The four cylinder is adequate. Passing power on the highway was pretty good. The only problem would be long steep grades. The 6 speed auto shifted smoothly. It didn't hesitate to downshift when needed. The engine only turns over 1700 RPM at 60 MPH. The first leg of the trip was mostly interstate with about 100 miles of Ozark hills and twisties at the end. I have an easy foot and averaged 30MPG going and 28MPG returning against a 20mph head wind, lightly loaded. This is a great around town vehicle. I wouldn't want to take on the Rockies, though.

Near perfect SUV
By billf5 on 10/21/12 12:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my 2012 Escape Limited with the V6 engine for 10 months and 10,000 miles. There has been no reason to bring it back to the dealer since purchase. I am getting 19 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. I love the looks and features of this well proportioned SUV. With full time 4 wheel drive it handles great in rain and snow. Never any slipping or sliding. For the money I think you get a lot of vehicle.

My FIRST SUV - Loving it !
By gwsmith on 10/18/12 17:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

First off, this is my first new car in 30 years, and have been a Saturn owner for the last 10... I needed something to transport my keyboard gear to the shows. Now, there is plenty of room for all the equipment now. Owned for only 6 weeks and the OD just turned 1800 miles and it has been 100% problem free thus far!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Escape in VA is:

$133 per month*