Used 2012 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

A good purchase
By Phil Pimental

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned four Escapes over the years, and own a 2009 and a 2012. I have now had the 2012 for a year now and put about 10K miles on it. I have had no issues with it. It will get over 30 MPG on long trips when driven at highway speeds.

I like the back up camera and the heated seat, a couple of items not on my 2009.

Although I have noticed no problems with the brakes and I am aware that most of the burden is on the front brakes in normal braking, I still wish Ford had kept the disc brakes on the rear.

Won't own Fords again! (That Sucks)
By jmjett

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I leased a new 2012 Limited 4x4 V-6. I have always liked Ford products, and even worked for them in the 90's.This rig has had a water leak problem since purchase. It's been almost 3yrs,and thank god my lease is almost done!! It has had 12+ repairs on the same problem, and mostly has had the same repair done. Repair doesn't work! It is a small leak, and most of the time it runs down the back window, but has run from small hooks in back,sunroof, soaking passenger side floor boards front and back.Living in the NorthWest isn't helping. Super disappointed in Ford for how this was handled or not handled. I've been ruined for life and no longer will support any of Fords products! (wish differently)

Liked the Navigation system its simple and easy to use.

I would say redesign it, but they have(2013)

Worth it..
By ry_american26

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I got my 2012 Escape used, about 2 months ago. $21,500 I've put almost 5,000 miles on as I drive a lot. Its almost fully loaded, Sunroof, Premium sound, heated leather, microsoft sync. This is my second Ford, and I was hesitant about this, because I had a 2008 Ford Fusion I purchased brand new for $23,000, and it was a total lemon, it was serviced a million times & had transmission issues, thats for another review though, the escape handles beautifully, is good on long trips, Sync really comes in handy because I tend to talk and drive and it allows my iPhone to play my playlists directly off the radio. I reccomond this vehicle %100

Microsoft Sync, Heated Leather, Big sunroof

Car requires rainguards if you even want to crack the window with the wipers on, you get a waterfall.

Great Car for the money
By roadrunner00

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the 4 cylinder limited model to get better gas mileage than we were getting with out 8 cylinder. Having said that you can definitely tell its a 4 cylinder. it definitely doesn't have the get up and go that Ive become accustomed to but thats a trade I was willing to make. It feels luxurious and comfortable inside which was surprising to me since I am tall and I thought it was going to be too small. But for the money you can't beat it and I am happy with my purchase.

By far my favorite feature is the one touch open close moonroof my chevy had to be held to close it. I thought the cheesy interior lights were a joke but the kids went bananas when we turned them on and now I rather enjoy having them on. Feels sort of limo-ish.

The bumper and door handles seem rather flimsy but they seem to hold up.also the passenger seat is not motorized and the neither seat has the memory adjustment which is a pain in the rear. I wish it had blinkers on the rear view mirror and since it not 4wd slightly larger wheels. The current design may ride better but if you're not going off road a little bit sportier wheel wouldn't have hurt. Those are trivial but the memory seat is inexcusable for a limited trim level.

Terrible brakes and awful safety features
By deekay18

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Safety: The brakes on this SUV is notorious to be the worst braking system in it's class. It takes 154 feet to stop this SUV from 60MPH and brake fade is expected, which adds on more footage. This means that it takes a minimum of 11 lengths of Ford Focus' to stop the Escape at the best without brake fade. Also, the Escape uses drum brakes on the rear. What is this 1990? The brakes also lock up frequently and this is a known problem all over the internet. The IIHS crash test ratings are not great either.