2012 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Terrible brakes and awful safety features
By deekay18 on 08/17/13 22:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Safety: The brakes on this SUV is notorious to be the worst braking system in it's class. It takes 154 feet to stop this SUV from 60MPH and brake fade is expected, which adds on more footage. This means that it takes a minimum of 11 lengths of Ford Focus' to stop the Escape at the best without brake fade. Also, the Escape uses drum brakes on the rear. What is this 1990? The brakes also lock up frequently and this is a known problem all over the internet. The IIHS crash test ratings are not great either.

Ford Certified and after sales service- Awful processes and follow through
By sajuedmunds on 07/21/13 12:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been a big fan of Ford and GM cars with all their warts and issues, so this was a curious experience with Ford and its dealer at Lawrenceville, New Jersey. A car is really a sum of experiences. I bought a pre -owned Ford Escape Certified by Ford. Shocking gaps at all stages. 1. Ford Pre certified. Was given a gar with broken bumpers and mechanicals. The dealer refused to change it the bumper and I also decide to focus on other transmission issues. After 4 weeks, car called in for a day. I got it after nearly 2 week. No loaner or rental. 2. Service - the words dripped with honey but you know when you are spun. Ford directs you to dealer 3. Its car - rough and cheap though functional

New Car, Bad Transmission
By mitchelld on 07/16/13 18:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This was our 3rd new Escape (2005, 2007, & 2012). We have always liked the 'box' for use ability. However, our 2012 XLT V6 Escape developed transmission problems at about 10,000 miles. Ford adjusted trans and slipping seemed to disappear ... initially. Over time it got worse with terrible slipping, hunting for gears, & loud clunks as it found 1st & 2nd gears. At 20,000 miles Ford now tells us the transmission will need "several new parts" (which they have to order). No, they will not replace the trans ... just fix it as they tried before. Our goal now is to get the car running and dump it. We are the 3rd generation of loyal Ford customers and, we are the LAST.

Reliable and good gas mileage
By forager7 on 02/09/13 18:59 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had this vehicle for 100K miles plus with no problems and great gas mileage.

Great SUV
By brendino140 on 01/05/13 13:44 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This was my first ford vehicle and probably will not be my last. I got the 2012 model because of the big changes for the 2013 crossover model. The escape provides a nice ride and great handling. I feel very safe driving in poor weather conditions. The interior design is great and provides great visibility. But, I recommend the V6 model for the best driving experience.

A solid value
By ripdaddy on 12/16/12 01:13 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Leased the 4-cyl Escape and took a 1500 mile trip. The four cylinder is adequate. Passing power on the highway was pretty good. The only problem would be long steep grades. The 6 speed auto shifted smoothly. It didn't hesitate to downshift when needed. The engine only turns over 1700 RPM at 60 MPH. The first leg of the trip was mostly interstate with about 100 miles of Ozark hills and twisties at the end. I have an easy foot and averaged 30MPG going and 28MPG returning against a 20mph head wind, lightly loaded. This is a great around town vehicle. I wouldn't want to take on the Rockies, though.

Near perfect SUV
By billf5 on 10/21/12 12:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my 2012 Escape Limited with the V6 engine for 10 months and 10,000 miles. There has been no reason to bring it back to the dealer since purchase. I am getting 19 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. I love the looks and features of this well proportioned SUV. With full time 4 wheel drive it handles great in rain and snow. Never any slipping or sliding. For the money I think you get a lot of vehicle.

My FIRST SUV - Loving it !
By gwsmith on 10/18/12 17:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

First off, this is my first new car in 30 years, and have been a Saturn owner for the last 10... I needed something to transport my keyboard gear to the shows. Now, there is plenty of room for all the equipment now. Owned for only 6 weeks and the OD just turned 1800 miles and it has been 100% problem free thus far!

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR IN A 4 CYL
By ewalker2 on 09/25/12 20:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car is terrible in a 4cyl. It has no pick up and go from a stopping position. A honda civic can accelerate faster then this SUV. Not to mention this car hold no value. I went to trade it in and I bought this car brand new, it has 9000 something miles, great shape its a 2012 and the dealership offered me 13500. even though i just bought it 9 months ago for 23500. Waste of time and money now I'm stuck with a horrible vehicle.

My first ford and won't be my last
By southern_guy82 on 09/02/12 13:31 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought a new 2012 ford escape limited and I love it I down sized from a Lincoln navigator Because of Gas mileage and cost of up keep. I have had my escape for two weeks and have put almost 300 miles on it so far and I love it. It is a perfect fit for me I love the feel the way it handles the ride and the interior/exterior design. It is a great car for the money Great job Ford I'm already planning my second car and it will be a Ford.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Escape in NJ is:

$227 per month*