Used 2011 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Exactly what I expected
By ml500owner

2011 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have the base model 2WD, 5 spd. manual. So far no problems. It has been excellent for going back and forth to work and some highway driving. It is comfortable to drive and has good power. I get 24.5 MPG in town according to the car computer and 23.5 when I calculate myself. Either way better than a lot of SUV's.

Favorite Features

Looks, gas mileage and price. The black paint looks great, especially in the sunlight it has a nice metallic flake. If you get the base model and are not concerned about having leather interior, backup cameras Sync, etc... then you get a very good vehicle at a good price.

Suggested Improvements

The manual transmission is ok. The shifter is hard to put in 1st unless completely stopped. This becomes a problem going slowly up some hills. 2nd is such a big jump that it will almost stall out requiring me to force it into 1st. They are completely changing the Escape, so it doesn't matter, but if you are buying a used one, it's something to keep in mind.

2011 Ford Escape
By jeff_56

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I would not reccomend this vehicle to anyone. I have less than 10,000 miles on it and it has been in the shop three times, once to replace the rack and pinon, twice for a dead spot in the gas peddal. This car is dangerous to drive. Oh, and the dealer and Ford motor co say this is normal. This car is dangerous to drive. Do not put yourself in teh same situation I am in.

Favorite Features

The Sync system

Suggested Improvements

Fix the acceleration problem

performance
By llf2

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My 2011 now had 1800 mi. From the time I took delivery until now it has a vibration when idling in drive waiting for a traffic light. I've had many 4 cyl cars and never had this problem. I don't know if its a wrong idle speed or maybe a transmission problem. I'll be seeing the dealer soon. I pointed this out to the dealer when I took delivery and he said give it awhile. If he can solvethis problem then I'll be happy.

Favorite Features

Adequate room. Split opening hatch.

Suggested Improvements

Softer seats. Would like an 8-way power driver seat. I really miss the "magic key" feature of my Nissan Versa. Sometimes I leave a key in the ignition when I lock the car so that when I get back in I don't have to dig out that monsterous size key that I'm sure will poke a hole in my pants.

I dunno about the other guys, but I love my Escape!
By codeglia

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

In the few months that I've had my 2011 Escape XLT, I cannot say enough about how great it is! The short story is that it is comfortable, handles like a dream, is equipped with all that I was looking for (and more), and the power from the 3.0 V6 surprised the heck outta me the other day, while merging onto the freeway going UPHILL! Plus, I've easily averaged over 30mpg on freeway trips! As far as having to remove the three headrests before being able to lower the rear seatback (to flatten-out the cargo space and make it larger)... I simply removed them when I first got the vehicle and left them out. Ford continues to make the best and highest-quality cars you can get... bar none!

Favorite Features

- QUALITY throughput! - Appearance - V6 Power and Responsiveness - Driveability - Storage capacity

Suggested Improvements

None

Escaping
By reviewing

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I decided to wait until I had at least a few miles on the odometer before writing a review and now with 6k I can give a good overview. The Escape has proven to be a charming little SUV capable on and off road with certain limitations. It is built almost like the SUV's of yesteryear (think bronco) but with modern amenities and components. With only 4, it has kept well on the road including mountain driving and keeps up 70 to 80 with ease. Seats although comfortable become hard after a long haul however. Interior is built precisely for this kind of truck, modern yet simple and good looking, Light offloading handled with ease. For a family of 4 and coming from a bigger SUV has been fine.

Favorite Features

Simple design and Fun, Fun to drive. Dials are easy to use and become second nature after 2nd time around. Blind spot mirrors are very helpful. Metallic paint. Hidden storage compartment in trunk, cargo cover, roof rack, nav, arm rest position, pedal placement, easy steering, interior lighting, keyless key pad, rear window opening, self park, rear sensors, dashboard illumination, elevated info center, MPG (I have a heavy foot and average 24 to 27 in the City and 29 to 32 on HW), carpeting is tough, fold down seats (also after 2nd time around), trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Sun tends to hit dashboard corners emitting a bright reflection into my eyes. Seats should have more adjustment. Visor seems to have two positions, forward or straight down, it's hard to set it in between. Hoot noise is ever present however, it sounds like chassis rather than transmission to me, I am not too worried. Parking break release easy to confuse with hood release. Chrome is excessive. Single light for turn and break, I find it to be dangerous. Front headlights are somewhat weak. Glove compartment is small. Spare is under chassis.