2011 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Wow....what a disappointment!
By emt09 on 07/15/11 17:51 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

First, it's a 2011 Escape XLT V6 4WD I have been watching the Escape grow since 2001, and now that I am 20, I decided it was time to purchase a new car, my first new car! What a disappointment it is! I was in love with the Escape....thought it was the greatest! Now my thoughts are completely the opposite! This is my second Ford, but you won't catch me in a Ford again for a LONNGGGGG TIME!!!!! My dealer has been doing a decent job, but having the vehicle for less than 2 months, and it has been back there 3x...somethings wrong! First thing was the alignment was off, second it shut off on me twice for no reason, third-electrical problems, fourth-transmission problems, fifth more electrical!!

6 cyl. AWD piece of junk!!!!!
By al_syracuse on 07/10/11 13:18 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Problems from day one. The infamous "hoot" which Ford has known about for three years and done nothing about it so far. Getting worse by the day, and will undoubtedly lead to transmission problems. Build quality issues, including fender liner problems, and water leaks. Front passenger compartment was getting flooded every time I went to a car wash. Dealer fixed that problem, and now air conditioner leaks into the same compartment. What a piece of junk. Although I've owned a dozen Fords before, this will be my last, for sure.

I bought the wrong SUV!
By laobunlee on 06/11/11 09:30 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I got the V6 Limited FWD model (2 weeks old). The power is bad (quickness) especially the 1st and 2nd gear that you really have to step on the gas just to feel the power. I think it's just a bad gearing ratio on the 1st - 2nd gear. I think my '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 (4 speed AT) has a better power (quickness) and better gearing ratios. I'd really love to trade this SUV to a GMC Terrain.

Three and counting
By escaper2 on 06/10/11 10:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Starting in 2005 with my first Escape, then with my 2008 escape I have to admit this 2011 I just bought is the best of all. Most of the "Bugs" have been worked out. The Michelin tires on this one are a first for me. The road noise so evident in the other two is gone now and I attribute that to the tires. Sync is okay, I'm a old guy at 61 and pretty much know where I am going. Perhaps it will help when I become senile? I do miss the compartment in the back under the carpet for the "extra" junk we all carry but never use. I finally got the moon roof and the fog lights. Very pleasant additions. The service department at my dealer is fantastic. The 2011 Escape is well worth the price.

More problems
By al_syracuse on 04/28/11 11:27 AM (PDT)

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

In addition to problems I've reported earlier, (hoot, and poor build quality) I now have another issue. When driving in bad weather (heavy rain such as we've been having lately) water comes into the passenger compartment from below and totally drenches the interior floor. Another example of the extremely poor quality of workmanship. - This will definitely be my last Ford.

2011 Ford Escape AWD V6
By laurel2011 on 03/21/11 21:28 PM (PDT)

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

So far, so good. I love my Escape! It is a pleasure to drive and has lots of fun (and functional) features. I spend an hour a day on the road (mostly highway) and find the Escape to be comfortable, with excellent handling and a nice amount of "umph" when merging. I am a little bit nervous after reading about all of the reliability issues other owners have experienced but personally I haven't found the Escape to be noisy or had issues with brake quality (knock wood). No, this is not a Lexus but it isn't meant to be. It is a reasonably priced old school SUV with enough high-tech features that it doesn't feel outdated.

Detailed review
By viper5333 on 03/07/11 11:04 AM (PST)

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

As an owner of many SUV's, I feel qualified to provide a helpful review. I was worried about 4 cyl., but so far its pep has been a pleasant surprise. It has plenty of zip to merge safely onto freeways; it maintains 70 MPH with ease up steep grades. As a trade off, the tranny is noisy through first 3 gears. It makes an odd noise if you jump on the throttle from a stop. Once at cruise it is quiet. The front seats are awesome...don't know how Ford did it, but feels like the seats have their own suspension. Fuel economy is great...almost 30MPG on freeway. The Sync system is best built-in voice command system I have tried...and I have used many. It does have a few quirks...mentioned bellow

Passenger Side Air bag malfunction?
By cdooley on 03/05/11 18:22 PM (PST)

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd Ford Escape (now driving the new 2011). I love how it drives. However, my passenger side-air bag keeps defaulting to "off" even when I am sitting in the passenger side!!! I am about a 105# female and I read the owner's manual. It says it is designed to disable (will not inflate) when believing an infant is in the front seat. I am NOT an infant! I have had it in to 2 different dealerships (one while traveling) to have it looked at. I'm now told I am jut not 'heavy enough for it to register my weight.' I just leased this thing in December. Not happy!!!

4 CYL FWD seems good so far
By kcmh on 03/02/11 06:12 AM (PST)

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased one last week from the Dayton, Ohio area. Drove back to Columbus and already like the car so far. Front seats are comfy and plenty of room. 4 CYL is pretty small for it so don't expect a lot of power but the 6-speed auto will make up for it. Cargo space is pretty good. I packed in a golf bag (Staff bag) with fire gear and still had room. And was able to use the cargo cover still Sync system kinda hard to use, and turn by turn directions calls a phone number to use. Thats odd.

I have the infamous
By al_syracuse on 12/31/10 08:57 AM (PST)

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I originally had concerns with build quality, but got those issues resolved at the dealership. However, I am experiencing the infamous "hoot" noise in the transmission, which, apparently, hundreds of 4WD owners are experiencing. At first Ford said it was not a problem, and simply inherent in the transmittion. Then they said a temporary fix would be to replace the chain in the transaxle. Now, they say a permanent fix will be available in the second quarter of 2011. - What a crock! I have owned seven vehicles with either AWD or 4WD and none have had a similar issue. I am very disappointed with Ford, and this may be my last Ford, even though I have owned at least 10 over the years.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Ford Escape in VA is:

$124 per month*