Used 2011 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Apprehensive
By sparkywatts

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have the 2011 Escape XLT with the 3.0L, 6 cyl. It says 4 WD. 6 speed AT. Purchased Dec 2010. I love the "boxyness" and visibility. I did not want a cushy car or AWD. It rides hard but I do not mind. I wanted a small 4 wheel drive vehicle. I am concerned about the transmission and 4 wheel drive capability. The transmission broke 2 days after purchasing the vehicle new. 75 miles. Ford said it was a simple fix but took 10 days to fix. It still whines and has a vibration. Ford says that it is normal. I wanted the 4 WD to go on the beach but I am worried. This is replacing a 4WD 1 ton pick up so I am not use to the new vehicles. Can I use the Escape on the beach?

Looks. Functional. Good visibility after removing rear head rest. Stiff ride.

The new style looks like the Equinox. Go back to the box look. Make a small durable 4 wheel drive.

2011 Ford Escape - Lemon
By fedup31

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased end of June 2011 brand new. Has been in the shop 4 times for back window leaking, 2 times for struts and 4 times now because of stalling, and transmission problems. Car just loses power, bumps hard and goes dead. Was in the shop 12 days, Ford put a new throttle body on it gave it back on Friday afternoon. Monday morning the same thing happen. Rev's up, loses power, booms and goes dead. This car is not safe to drive. Going today and start LEMON law process. Don't buy one.

Lags behind competition, some reliability issues
By jdac

2011 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this because we like the design. Whether or not it is dated is subjective. My wife can actually see out of it without blind spots. Reliability issues: Transmission "flashed" several times but it still clunks into drive when cold and has a dead spot around 2500rpm. Shifts can be irratic. Rear window seals replaced to fix water leak. Front end links (bushings) have been replaced 3x to solve clunking noises over bumps. Struts replaced twice to resolve combined front end soft/mushy handling. Round 4 for the same early symptoms. Sync is very problematic with many different phones. Dealer now reporting this is all 'normal.' Several aftermkt fixs for known issues above!

Fuel economy - averaging 10L/100 in city driving. Exactly as advertised. Hwy is disappointing at 9L/100 with a tail wind.

Put a refined motor in this thing! The exhaust note, even though intended through design, is the roughest sounding I have ever heard! At times sounds like a tractor! At cruise speed cabin is quiet. Idle and low speed sounds like exhaust is leaking. Power is fine around city and adequate for hwy. 2013 models have addressed design issues. Better fit/finish should (better) be implemented with new model. This design is poor in this regard also. Best description is 'crude' and almost 80's quality level. I wouldn't buy another based on this overall product / dealer experience.

Run far far away from this vehicle!
By undertakeress

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My dad worked for Ford, and I have owned nothing but Fords my whole life.. I leased this in April 2011 and am counting the days til it is expired. The transmission is HORRIBLE - I'ts been in the shop 4 times and nothing has been fixed. It jumps gears and feels like you've been in a big accident - I almost hit my head on the steering wheel! Vibration at idle at stoplights or drive thru's is horrid, and you can hear the ticking when you start it up. I don't know why this has not been recalled. Every person that I talk to at my job at an auto parts store that has a 4Cyl Escape 09-11 has the SAME issues! Get it together Ford!

The radio/temperature interface panel is nice, and having the Aux cable up front instead of in the center console like on the Fusion or Focus is very nice.

Get rid of this horrible transmission, Ford! Come on - you know about this problem, it exists!

Best Car
By lazeejjs

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Previous car was a subaru legacy. This 6 c. 2011 Escape runs circles around the Subaru. The power is extemely impressive with the smooth 5 speed automatic. I live in heavy snow country and the all wheel drive with snow tires makes it unstoppable; no real end swing, no tires spinning, just fast efficient snow gripping immediately. Economy is 30 MPG on the highway which is 90 percent of my driving.

The leather interior is beautiful and the large cargo space with the no-spill mat is very practical. Rear seating is spacious for two adults. Putting the seats down is perfect for transporting large items. The music controls are very easy to manipulate and the sound system is top of the line.

I find the consol about 6" too far forward for me to open when my seat is fully back. My wife who drives closer to the steering wheel has no problem. Small inconvenince I can live with.