Used 2011 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Escape Does It All
By truth1hurts

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2011 Ford Escape is a dream and a much welcomed relief from our endless anxiety with an inferior product, a 2008 Jeep Patriot 5-Speed Manual. This Escape has great styling, spacious interior and far better visibility with its surround glass than the substandard design of the Patriot. We took it on a 1,600 mile trip in 2013 and never sweated. The 4 cylinder motor gives you good power on uphill roads and it comes with better tires than our former lemon. I would highly recommend the Escape and/our dealership as Ford has better customer service and attitudes towards their customers. The escape lets you "escape" the city jungle and is great in the outdoors and is very reliable.

Favorite Features

We like the more comfortable interior features and especially the cabin where the instrument dashboard does not jutt out in your face like the Patriot. The driver seat electronic adjustment and side view mirror defrosters are a nice feature as with the cruise control. It's no wonder Ford Escapes are so popular. This is the 2d Escape we've owned and will never buy another Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

There were some minor glitches in the Sync and microphone (place on the rear view mirror) as it was weak so they installed an external microphone close to the driver's window. There should be 2 microphones in the front; one embedded in the dashboard close to the driver and the other one on the opposite side. Otherwise, no complaints..... Kerwin Maude, Pitt Meadows, B.C. Canada

The Good, Bad and the Ugly
By student4life

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I purchased our Second Ford Excape after our first one (2010) was involved in an accident that wrote it off, but it saved my families life, hence the second one which is a 2011. We like the vehicle, and have the V6, which has more power than people expect. It's kind of rough around the edges, loud road noise and engine, and drives kind of like my jeep YJ used to in many ways. It's not as refined as I expected, but on the plus side, it's small and easy enough to park and manouver in traffic, build quality is superb, had original transmission issues which we're fixed under warranty, and the rear hatch doesnt open all the time (needs to see dealer). Overall quite happy though.

Favorite Features

Build Quality, very peppy V6, great size for parking, easy to drive. It's a good looking vehicle and quick and easy to keep clean, not alot of fancy exterior cosmetic obstacles to clean, nice smooth bodywork. Roomy enough for a family of 4, and the all wheel drive is amazing in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Should have got the 4 cylinder, as my wife and I put alot of Km's on it. But it's not hard on gas by any means. More driving refinement would be nice in terms of a quieter engine and road noise. Other than that, quite happy.

Apprehensive
By sparkywatts

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have the 2011 Escape XLT with the 3.0L, 6 cyl. It says 4 WD. 6 speed AT. Purchased Dec 2010. I love the "boxyness" and visibility. I did not want a cushy car or AWD. It rides hard but I do not mind. I wanted a small 4 wheel drive vehicle. I am concerned about the transmission and 4 wheel drive capability. The transmission broke 2 days after purchasing the vehicle new. 75 miles. Ford said it was a simple fix but took 10 days to fix. It still whines and has a vibration. Ford says that it is normal. I wanted the 4 WD to go on the beach but I am worried. This is replacing a 4WD 1 ton pick up so I am not use to the new vehicles. Can I use the Escape on the beach?

Favorite Features

Looks. Functional. Good visibility after removing rear head rest. Stiff ride.

Suggested Improvements

The new style looks like the Equinox. Go back to the box look. Make a small durable 4 wheel drive.

I love my Escape!
By isolusine

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I'd give my Escape a 5/5 but I have only had it a month so I can't speak to the reliability yet. I absolutely love it. I love the look of the inside & outside, it drives great and I am getting better gas mileage than I expected. So far in the first month I have gotten 28.5-29.9 mpg, with it increasing every time I go to the gas station! My commute is an hour each way, some city some highway, and it is definitely exceeding my expectations! It is quiet, the AC is quiet and works great, and I haven't had any of the leaking or initial quality issues others have listed.

Favorite Features

I love the comfort of the seats and that the rear seats fold flat, there really weren't too many other SUVs that folded flat (we looked at honda, toyota, gmc and chevy and I think only one of them did). I also like that the fog lights, sunroof, dimming rearview mirror, and electric seat adjustments are all included in the XLT model. Love the Michelin tires and I love the price. Right now, for a small SUV, you can't beat the incentives and price to buy a Ford. I don't think any other SUV looks as good either, I love the exterior. SYNC has worked well for me so far as well.

Suggested Improvements

It would be great to have the rear seats fold flat with fewer steps. It is definitely easy to do, so it is not a huge problem for me, but I did love that you could pull a lever in the back of the RAV4 and the seats would fold (although not flat like I wanted). A bigger problem is that it hesitates shifting from the 1st/2nd gear when I slow down and go to speed back up. This problem was waaay worse in the GMC Terrain and Chevy Equinox though, and is the major reason why I didn't buy them. I don't know if this is typical of small SUVs, but I didn't notice it on the test drive of the Escape, the Honda or the Toyota. Driving is great in the Escape otherwise.

Three and counting
By escaper2

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Starting in 2005 with my first Escape, then with my 2008 escape I have to admit this 2011 I just bought is the best of all. Most of the "Bugs" have been worked out. The Michelin tires on this one are a first for me. The road noise so evident in the other two is gone now and I attribute that to the tires. Sync is okay, I'm a old guy at 61 and pretty much know where I am going. Perhaps it will help when I become senile? I do miss the compartment in the back under the carpet for the "extra" junk we all carry but never use. I finally got the moon roof and the fog lights. Very pleasant additions. The service department at my dealer is fantastic. The 2011 Escape is well worth the price.

Favorite Features

It is a Ford. What else ca I say? I used to be a Chevy guy, that was three SUV's ago. I really like the "No Gas cap" feature. Now I am just like Nasscar! The leather steering wheel cover is real nice. The little compartment between the visors hides my garage door opener. There is an option for a built in for garage doors, no need though with this little compartment.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the tool box. Put the rain shields and mud flaps on as standard equipment.