2011 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2011 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

Noisy and poor transmission
By mvirgolici

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I'm working in automotive industry as engineer for the last 30 years. I bought this new 2011 Escape in Canada for my wife as she liked it during the driving test. I wouldn't buy it for myself. The car is noisy, a combination of engine, exhaust and poor sound insulation. I also knew from customer reviews that transmission for the 4 cyl engine is a concern. From day one, an average 4 times per week the transmission STRONGLY jerks when I reduce the speed below 25 miles per hour or shift in reverse at start. Canadian dealer tried to fix it without any luck, now living in US the Americans tried as well, they just gave up saying by loading the latest shift software there is nothing else to do.

Favorite Features

The cargo when rear seats are folded is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

None, after so many hundreds of thousands of vehicles on such a popular car if Ford was not able to build a reliable transmission that is a big problem. I recommend to stay away of buying the 4 cyl version. It will annoy you all the time the transmission jerks.

Escape Does It All
By truth1hurts

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2011 Ford Escape is a dream and a much welcomed relief from our endless anxiety with an inferior product, a 2008 Jeep Patriot 5-Speed Manual. This Escape has great styling, spacious interior and far better visibility with its surround glass than the substandard design of the Patriot. We took it on a 1,600 mile trip in 2013 and never sweated. The 4 cylinder motor gives you good power on uphill roads and it comes with better tires than our former lemon. I would highly recommend the Escape and/our dealership as Ford has better customer service and attitudes towards their customers. The escape lets you "escape" the city jungle and is great in the outdoors and is very reliable.

Favorite Features

We like the more comfortable interior features and especially the cabin where the instrument dashboard does not jutt out in your face like the Patriot. The driver seat electronic adjustment and side view mirror defrosters are a nice feature as with the cruise control. It's no wonder Ford Escapes are so popular. This is the 2d Escape we've owned and will never buy another Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

There were some minor glitches in the Sync and microphone (place on the rear view mirror) as it was weak so they installed an external microphone close to the driver's window. There should be 2 microphones in the front; one embedded in the dashboard close to the driver and the other one on the opposite side. Otherwise, no complaints..... Kerwin Maude, Pitt Meadows, B.C. Canada

Apex Suv And An Asset To Any Owner
By truth1hurts

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We love our 2011 Ford Escape as, in our opinion, it hammers the competition and it is a valued asset in our family. The pathetic competition, the 2008 Jeep Patriot does even come close to the reliability, power, style, reputation and perks of a comfortable Ford. The Escape will not hurt pocketbooks; it is reasonably priced and I would recommend people trying to get a better deal through the employee pricing campaign. Money well spent, the Ford Escape. It made a former unhappy owner of the Jeep elated when we slid into a 2011 Ford. The competition will be full of jealousies as Ford is known to give many the "wow factor" in an winner vehicle.

Favorite Features

We like features like Sync, cruise control and defrosters on the side view mirror. I am particularily comfortable with the better height of the Suv and its better all around window visibility. I hope potentional buyers will review the comments of the Escape as many readers become more informed. It's a winner vehicle with a solid reputation. This Canadian has no qualms in recommending an Escape and the service and sales at Coastal Ford in Burnaby, BC were incredible.

Suggested Improvements

I am not a fan of the new exterior style of the 2014 Escape but like improvements like the rear cargo hatch opening under the bumper that can be easily accessed. Ford will be in the family for a long time, good riddance to Jeep.

Not What I Expected
By bmeg2012

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had always wanted an Escape and I finally bought one. I have to say that I am so disgusted with it. I had to pay out of pocket to have the throttle body replaced because Ford won't recall them and 3 weeks after the repairs the part is tearing up again. It is dangerous to drive it stalls out in the middle of the road and you try and give it gas and it won't move. I would discourage anyone from buying one. I was born, bread, raised 100% ford girl but I am so anti-Ford now. If you are considering buying one think twice...........

SUV - ok, I guess; warranty support -- not ok
By bloke2

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We bought an XLT w/ AWD, AT, V6 and Sync. To date we only have 21k miles on it. IMO, cheap materials, budget design, fit and finish, and paint flaws. Lack of amenities you'd find in competitors, like a button to open the tailgate! SYNC is great but has its glitches. The 3.0 V6 is noisy & somewhat underpowered for the vehicle weight. It may be the gearing because we've had the AT reprogrammed twice via TSBs. Ford really fights with the consumer over warranty issues. Had hassle to replace tailgate window over defective defroster & badly faded plastic running board. Now we have two water leaks -- 1 door and the tailgate window. We're thinking, what's next?!

Favorite Features

Super comfortable seating for the long haul. Solid, rugged feel like a pickup truck. Simple engine design/compartment from mechanical perspective. Michelin tires.

Suggested Improvements

It's been redesigned for 2013 so I hope they started from scratch. Fire the warranty department and don't alienate owners. Not good for future sales. Manufacturing quality control. Look at competition and copy them where you can and stop being so cheap.

Loved it at first not sure now
By bmeg2012

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Ford Escape V6 AWD Limited Edition may 2012. I did great until the mileage hit 48000. While on my way to work one morning the transmission went out and left me sitting in the middle of the 4-lane with no gears. I finally was able to get in the low and get a wide spot to get off the road. We took it to he ford dealership and left it for 4 days only to be told that their is nothing wrong with it. This was 3 weeks ago. The transmission is still slipping horrible and this afternoon my RPM's went to 5000 before it shifted gears. It is still under my powertrain warranty but they won't fix it. Ford needs to do something it is not safe to drive this way.

Saved my life
By doublepug

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2011 Escape Limited used in March 2012. This was my primary vehicle, first SUV I've owned and I absolutely loved it. In late October, I and 3 family members were involved in a terrible car accident that totaled my Escape. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and I can say with absolute certainty that had we been in any other vehicle we likely would not have survived. The side curtain airbags deployed on impact and even though the front axle was cracked, my husband was able to steer the car to safety. It even called 911 for us and reported our exact location to the operator. I miss my Escape every day. If your top priority is safety, this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

Side curtain airbags Sound system Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Larger cupholders

2011 Ford Escape
By widrick

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had a great experience at Grappone Ford. I had a 2005 ford escape and decided to trade it in. After driving the 2011 Escape with the new inline 4 engine, I was amazed. I truely love driving this vehicle. So reliable a vehicle, I recommend it to anyone looking for a great ride in comfort.

Favorite Features

The radio controls on the steering wheel is great. Seats are very comfortable. The satellite radio is a little weird but trying the 6 months of free...then decide.

Suggested Improvements

None...just a great vehicle

The Good, Bad and the Ugly
By student4life

2011 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I purchased our Second Ford Excape after our first one (2010) was involved in an accident that wrote it off, but it saved my families life, hence the second one which is a 2011. We like the vehicle, and have the V6, which has more power than people expect. It's kind of rough around the edges, loud road noise and engine, and drives kind of like my jeep YJ used to in many ways. It's not as refined as I expected, but on the plus side, it's small and easy enough to park and manouver in traffic, build quality is superb, had original transmission issues which we're fixed under warranty, and the rear hatch doesnt open all the time (needs to see dealer). Overall quite happy though.

Favorite Features

Build Quality, very peppy V6, great size for parking, easy to drive. It's a good looking vehicle and quick and easy to keep clean, not alot of fancy exterior cosmetic obstacles to clean, nice smooth bodywork. Roomy enough for a family of 4, and the all wheel drive is amazing in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Should have got the 4 cylinder, as my wife and I put alot of Km's on it. But it's not hard on gas by any means. More driving refinement would be nice in terms of a quieter engine and road noise. Other than that, quite happy.

Great compact SUV
By andyman2

2011 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I love my Escape Limited 4cyl 4wd, I was hesitant about buying a 4cyl, but I'm happy with it. The power is ok, I knew it wasn't a power house going into the purchase. The gas mileage is decent especially being a 4wd. It handles well in snow. I've read many write about a vibration when idling, and mine has the same annoying vibration but it goes away when the vehicle is warm and it is only really an issue in cold weather for me. The only thing I wish I could change is the heated seats only have one setting. My old car had a high and low, and I was able to always have it on low and the one setting in the Escape does not allow me to do that because sometimes it becomes too hot.

Favorite Features

Great storage