Won't start intermittenly
By jennfruk on
2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
We bought our Escape new and have put about 8k miles on in about 7 months. We have had to have it towed to the dealership 2 times in 2 weeks because it just will not start. The dealer says that it is some sort of electrical problem with the engine, but they have no answers for us. The power works fine, the engine will not even try to start. The dealer tested battery 1st time and no problems, then the 2nd time it was towed to the dealer...the battery had a dead cell and then it started fine, until they went to move it out of the garage and it would not start again and engine will not turn over. I am sure there are others with the same problems, just not enough to make a difference to Ford.
Favorite Features
Wet trunk in the back cargo area is really nice!
By escapedriver
on 07/01/12 09:00 AM (PDT)

We have a 2010 Ford Escape bought new in Dec 2009. It has 27800 miles. Car won't start. When key is turned, all electronics, fans, dash lights etc. work just fine. With car in neutral, clutch depressed, and brake depressed, turning the key used to start the engine. Now there is not even a click sound. The car can be jump started by just rolling down a hill and releasing the clutch while in 2nd gear. Starts no problem. But if the car is turned off, the starter motor/solenoid etc. make no sounds at all. Ford reliability seems to be at risk here.

By sweetiebear
on 06/12/11 20:35 PM (PDT)

I have a 2010 Escape bought in July of 2010 and it is the beginning of June. It is 33 km over the 20,000 km bumper to bumper warranty and it wouldn't start today. BCAA came out and checked the battery and then the immobilizer. Ruling those out he went under the car and asked that the key be turned. He then tapped on the starter and the car started. He said that the connection within the starter is probably loose and will start intermittently but unless the starter is replaced, will continue to sometimes not start. He said he hadn't seen too many cars that are less than a year and already need a new starter so not many people would think to look there. I'll have to wait to see what the service department says tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I will have a hard time convincing them if it starts up fine for them.

By jmelbc
on 02/25/13 13:37 PM (PST)

I have been having the same problem. It only started once I was over the 36,000 mile mark. I took it to the dealership three times and left it with them. They told me there was nothing they could do if the car wasn't presenting with the problem there. So I go pick up my car and it starts all over again. Finally, it starts doing it every day so that I have to be jumped off every morning to take my kids to school and then am stuck at the house all day because there is no one around to jump my car off while my husband is at work. Took it back in to the dealership today and the finally saw the problem. I need a new starter!!! My car is a 2010 and I have had it less than six months and now I have to pay 500 dollars to have it fixed. This is ridiculous! I wish I had gotten the other car I was looking at at the time. It was the same style, just a different make. Having the color I wanted is so NOT worth all this hastle. I will NEVER EVER buy another ford again.

By dc9215
on 12/29/10 14:03 PM (PST)

Had a similar problem with mine and diagnosed as a bad "range sensor" in the transmission.