2010 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2010 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

Escape Front End Clunk!
By ENGINE66

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Just purchased a 2010 Escape XLT 4cyl/6-speed auto. As soon as I hit a dip in my neighborhood, the right front end clunked very loudly and it could be felt in the steering wheel. The local dealer test drove it and told me they believed the shock piston was extending to it's maximum and bottoming out on the shock housing...basically the shock has very weak rebound and this is "normal." I say it is not normal as none of my other vehicles exhibit this clunk including our 2006 Escape. The 2010 Escape has a softer ride, but should not clunk on simple dips or speed "humps" at 15-20 mph. Overall the 2010 Escape has a nice boxy sturdy look which stands out from other foreign SUVs, but look at 2012!

Favorite Features

Boxy look, basic design, simplicity of seats and overall character. Like the dark headliner.

Suggested Improvements

Proper rebound on the shocks and dealers who will fix the problem. Ride is too soft. Much softer than our 2006 escape. Our 2006 does not clunk at all! 6 speed is nice, but I'm still not convinced it's better. Seems to shift too early and does not feel as "quick" as our 2006.

Ford lover soon to be Chevy Lover
By Debroid

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Rear view Mirror has exposed wires. Get a chirp/squeak sound when stopped then the accelerate. Annoying!!! Was told that this is a characteristic of vehicle....funny! Noise louder then the radio. Headliner coming off back by hatch. Exposed brakes grab & make noises. Less road noise than the 2006 escape we had. Snyc/bluetooth great. I have been a Ford owner for years. Hope I don't have to crossover to Chevy.

Favorite Features

Love the snyc/bluetooth and sun roof. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Taking the chirping/squeak out of rear end. Fix exposed wires on rear view mirror. Passenger seat with auto controls also.

Good overall, but has flaws
By Havlack

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Here is the deal, I'm anal about cars. I notice every little thing that makes a noise and doesn't feel right. As a whole the car is pretty nice. Lots of features and a very good price. But there is a serious lack of detail in some areas. The interior finishes are poorly assembles. All the plastic components do not fit tight and constantly rattle. Tranny makes odd noise (hoot per TSB). Car was not aligned properly at the factor and dealership still hasn't got it right after 2 times car only has 5300 miles on it. Still not convinced Ford has it but getting there. Good points: nice design, reliable proven power train, lots of features for the money, lots of safety equipment, decent handling.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, SYNC system, price, comfort, power, BUILT IN BLIND SPOT MIRRORS!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Lacks refinement! at almost a 30K sticker I expect more. I'm not too sure we made the right choice. Serious interior molding flaws. Tranny lacks refinement as well. Small detail is important, and Ford overlooked quite a few things.

Bad Stereo
By Mark

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Like the car except for 1 big thing. The stereo pops in and out of mono. Had a 2008 escape and drove in the same area and this was not an issue. According to Ford this is a signal strength issue and they cannot fix it. Dealer drove another 2010 and it did the same thing. Has really turned me against the car since it is very annoying and they do not plan on fixing it.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the signal issue with the stereo or at least make it to where you can put in an aftermarket stereo if you do not plan on fixing yours.

Traded a 1999 Grand cherokee V*
By Britta

2010 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Just drove the V6 limited off the lot and 114 miles home. Love it. Ride smooth, have the Nave and its great. Coming from a V8 to V6 after 10 years and it accelerates great. More head room that the 2010 Grand Cherokee.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, leather heated seats, sound system

Suggested Improvements

Locking gas cap, CD changer

Thrilled Ford Escape owner
By DBSC

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have a 2010 Escape XLT V6, this SUV is fun to drive. I am in my mid 60's, this auto makes me feel like a teenager every time i get behind the wheel. Throttle response, power and agility are great, i have not enjoyed driving this much in decades. Ford has put comfort, power, performance and economy in a great package.

Favorite Features

One of my favorite features is how it turns on the lights when you use the remote to unlock the doors.

Suggested Improvements

I would like power front passenger seat to be standard or optional.

Mostly pretty happy with my Escape
By Dianne

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I was excited with the features and design of the 2010 Ford Escape. I am very pleased with the quality of the ride and new technology features. I have not had any luck with the SYNC lady though. She does not understand me when I make my requests to play music from my iPod, the only request I’ve been able to get through to her is “play all”. However, she is great with the phone calls. I was very disappointed to discover the exposed wires for the rearview mirror. Then when I looked closer, I saw the entire front edge of the headliner is detaching. Very poor finish on this part of the interior. Someone else mentioned a chirping noise when accelerating from a stopped positi

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, pricing and zero % financing. It's more "boxy" looking than the RAV4, feels more like an SUV and less like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Headliner and rearview mirror trim.

Love my Escape
By mariantques

2010 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We traded in a loaded Chrysler Town & Country and I love the smaller car, easier to park (I haven't tried the auto park yet). Very comfortable warm seats, and quiet smooth ride. Our Chrysler had a lot of road noise. The sync system is superb and nav system has much more and better than I had in my Chrysler. The Escape handles extremely well and the brakes are not touchy. The car feels substantial and I feel very safe. My husband was a Porsche dealer and have driven Porsches, Mercedes and even a RR. The Escape is as much fun to drive as those were. We have driven 500 miles, mostly in town and are getting 24 MPG.

Favorite Features

Sporty looks, smooth drive and ride, sync system and of course the navigation; and I love the sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

Electric passenger seat, easier back seat stowing

Ford is King
By HappyInTx

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am a truck type guy and have owned Ford PU most of my life. I finally decided to downsize because of my age. I liked the Ford Fusion, but when I drove the Escape, I knew it was the one for me. Feels more like a truck, good view to the outside. It has proven to me that the 2.5L engine is all one really needs. I like the layout of the controls. While it has a lot of nice electronics Sync elements, I just can't find much use for it.

Favorite Features

Great ride, excellent mpg, comfortable, easy to enter and exit, controls especially the ones on the steering wheel. The blind spot mirror are a real nice safety feature as well as the keyless keypad and auto headlamps.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had the SOS package in case of an accident. Change the layout of the rear headrest so that it would be easier to fold down the seats.

Does alot of things very well.
By Joe M

2010 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Well I've been driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the last 10 years and thought I'd get into something a bit smaller. This vehicle rocks. The Sync system is great so much fun. Sits nice and high. Seats are comfortable. Seems real solid. Been getting 18 miles to the gallon,and have not been on a highway yet,so that seems pretty good. Love the no cap on the gas tank. This limited has all kinds of neat stuff. Autopark is the coolest thing I've ever seen, and it works great. Overall I'm very happy.

Favorite Features

The Sync system is the BOMB!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Well like everything,there could be better. Fold down backseat is clumsy at best. I don't use that feature much, so I'm good with it. Braking isn't the best I've seen. Telescopic steering would be great. Glove box sits a bit low and small. would have liked the spare power outlet in the front.