Used 2010 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

I love my 2nd gen escape
By Brian

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

It's my favorite car I've ever owned. 7 years and 150000 miles in it still looks and runs great. (Shame on Ford for making the 3rd Gen a bloated teeny bopper hatch back instead of a proper suv like this one.)

The best Compact SUV on the road today!
By Brian

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2010 Ford Escape was my first choice when I bought this car, two months ago. I bought the Ford Escape XLT I4 Four cylinder and opted with it instead of the V6 because when I drove a 2015 Ford Escape, which I really like, with a V6, I felt it was too racey and punchy for city driving between lights. In fact I found myself having to pass alot of drivers because it was just too fast. But if you want a more punchy version of the I4, the Escape has the V6 which is sure to please.

I bought the I4 at a large car dealership. I was offered 5 year warranty on top of an addditional 1 year dealer warranty. If you go to buy a Ford Escape, try a large car dealership, because, they can and will work with you to get you a sweet deal.

So I have been driving my new/used Ford Escape for two months. So far, the car is absolutely perfect. It handles turns with ease. No more will I or any other Ford Escape driver have to fear turning too wide, when driving down a particularly narrow road. The car handles sublimly.

In the rain, the Ford Escape has few peers. With careful driving, it handles perfectly. The Ford Escape comes with rear window windsheild wiper, which I use every time it rains. There are no mechanism failrues ever on the rear or front windsheild.

The car has occasional vibrations at high speed on the highway. But those are usually only audible when the back window are open. The XLT package comes with automatic rear and front window controls. Use those when driving on highways to raise the window shut. The vibrations disappear instantly.

The Ford Escape has better milage that is usually reported in consumer reports. The high numbers are 34 Highway, 30 City. But look for them being more like 36 Highway, and 32 city. I drive every day usually to do errands, to get lunch or dinner. The 2010 Ford Escape uses very little gas, and is a gas sipper.

It will suprise you how little gas it uses. You might have to fill the car twice a month when using it to and from school for the kids, to get groceries, to run errands, to go to dinner.

I haven't taken my new used Ford Escape on a long road trip yet, but I am sure it will be one of the most enjoyable road trips ever.

I highly recommend buying the Ford Escape. The Ford Escape is AAAA+ in reliablility, handling, engine, interior, entertainment.

The Ford Escape is one of the best made cars in the US auto market today.

Tranny Troubles
By winter_driver

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought new. Exactly the kind of vehicle I needed...big windows, AWD, fuel efficient, cargo space...just right for my cold climate. The 4-banger is fine around the city though it's a slow accelerator off the line and when merging into traffic. V6 was probably a better choice. 1st problem right away was a vibration at about 50 mph. Turned out to be an unbalanced drive shaft, which the dealer promptly corrected. Lots of tranny problems. Rebulit after 3-years. Problems returned less than a year later. Rebuilt again. Lots of similar stories online. When it works, I really like it, but deep down, I have little faith left in the vehicle.

Bought new...lots of value Great utility Big square windows Look like an SUV, not a jelly bean Great winter vehicle.

wish i never bought one :(
By usedtobeford

purchased new in 2010.
Brake issues
at 40,000 km cost me $1000.
Had to replace hatch latch as door wouldnt open $420.
Now have hard shifts, clunking underneath.
Brakes shot again.
Dealer wants to replace lower control arms as well, says cant advise if transmission problems until control arms are changed.
Grand total of $1600+ Tax.
For real!?
might have to trade it in for a real car... guess I'm going to
hyundai for a santa fe

none

better customer service, it would be nice if Ford stood behind there products. I feel ripped off.

Fed Up with Ford
By calguy1

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd Ford in 5 years and my 4th transmission.
I had a Ford Fusion that had a transmission fail 1,500 miles past warranty and was stuck 250 miles from home.
Ended up working a deal with a Ford dealer in Los Banos and bought a 2010 Ford Escape with 38k miles.
3 months later the transmission failed.
Got a new tranny from factory (no cost) and now a yr later it has failed again.
Dealer looked up history and learned this will be the car's 4th transmission.
There seems to be a lot of forums and posts about how bad Ford's transmissions are.
Car is no good if the transmission doesn't work.
Wish I limped into a Chevy or Honda dealer down in Los Banos.

Like I said in the review, can't find any favorite features when the transmission doesn't work.

Seems like Ford has forgotten how to build quality cars. Maybe they should go to some of their competitors and learn how to build a quality product.