Used 2010 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Drive Shaft, Door Latches and all 4 door agitators
By Anthony S.

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2010 Ford Escape used with 27,000 miles on it in October, 2012. I had a drive shaft issue which was fixed by the dealer as a recall item. When I reached roughly the 40,000 mile mark in early 2014 I began to see problems with my door latches opening with the remote key fob ( I realize the mileage has NOTHING to do with the door agitators). Since I didn't always open all 4 doors and it was happening only once in a while it wasn't that much of a hindrance. My driver side always (and still does) work with an old fashioned key turn process. Fast forward to the fall of 2014 and now 3 of my 4 doors were giving me problems. I took it to the dealer and the verbal quote to fix the problem was "around $2000.00". I knew the problem wasn't going to fix itself but it was more than I could afford at the time. It was especially difficult to imagine that a car worth around $10,000 had 20% of its value in door latches and agitators. Beginning summer of 2015 all four doors were/are only working with the remote about 1 out of 10 times. But my driver side rear door now wasn't opening AT ALL. I took it back to the dealer, who was extremely courteous, and they gave me a written quote of $2,200 for the 4 door latches/agitators plus another $500.00 for the door that wouldn't open problem. So now I have a car worth about $8,500 with about 25-30% of its value in those door latches. The car was perfect for my size (6'4) and worked great when all of the current issues were not issues. In doing my research, it is difficult for me to believe that there hasn't been a recall on this problem since so many other people have had door latch/agitator problems with Ford Escapes. The dealership(s) (I have spoken to 2 certified Ford Dealerships in the process) have NEVER seen all 4 door latches go. The fact that they occasionally work tells me that it could be another issue but the dealership is pretty confident that it is the agitator. Hopefully a recall becomes available in the near future or I may be forced to trade this car in rather than put out so much money for such a seemingly minor issue. I may be better off selling off parts since they apparently carry way more value than a traditional trade-in.

Tranny Troubles
By winter_driver

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought new. Exactly the kind of vehicle I needed...big windows, AWD, fuel efficient, cargo space...just right for my cold climate. The 4-banger is fine around the city though it's a slow accelerator off the line and when merging into traffic. V6 was probably a better choice. 1st problem right away was a vibration at about 50 mph. Turned out to be an unbalanced drive shaft, which the dealer promptly corrected. Lots of tranny problems. Rebulit after 3-years. Problems returned less than a year later. Rebuilt again. Lots of similar stories online. When it works, I really like it, but deep down, I have little faith left in the vehicle.

Bought new...lots of value Great utility Big square windows Look like an SUV, not a jelly bean Great winter vehicle.

Wish I never bought this
By donotbuyford

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Brought a brand new 2010 Ford Escape. Have consistently had AC problems. Just had the 4th dealer try to fix it, this time for $1000+...still not fixed. I've read several reviews re faulty AC units in this make and model. In fact what happened with my AC sounds very similar to the other comments on this site re the 2010 Escape. I also had to replace the rack and pinion and battery. I've put in at least $2500 of repairs within 5 years and 50,000 miles of purchase, and I'm just waiting to hear what's next. This car was a giant waste of money. I am very unhappy with (if not angry about) this purchase. I will never buy another Ford.

Fix the AC design defect

wish i never bought one :(
By usedtobeford

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

purchased new in 2010. Brake issues at 40,000 km cost me $1000. Had to replace hatch latch as door wouldnt open $420. Now have hard shifts, clunking underneath. Brakes shot again. Dealer wants to replace lower control arms as well, says cant advise if transmission problems until control arms are changed. Grand total of $1600+ Tax. For real!? might have to trade it in for a real car... guess I'm going to hyundai for a santa fe

none

better customer service, it would be nice if Ford stood behind there products. I feel ripped off.

Great value!
By osawe

2010 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Cheap, reliable and fun crossover vehicle. Cheap on gas, reliable and fun to drive. Best from Ford in the last 10 years. If you own one, hold on to it!

5 speed, sunroof, power options and ant skid.

Standard 4X4.