Used 2010 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2010 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Drive Shaft, Door Latches and all 4 door agitators
By Anthony S.

2010 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2010 Ford Escape used with 27,000 miles on it in October, 2012. I had a drive shaft issue which was fixed by the dealer as a recall item. When I reached roughly the 40,000 mile mark in early 2014 I began to see problems with my door latches opening with the remote key fob ( I realize the mileage has NOTHING to do with the door agitators). Since I didn't always open all 4 doors and it was happening only once in a while it wasn't that much of a hindrance. My driver side always (and still does) work with an old fashioned key turn process. Fast forward to the fall of 2014 and now 3 of my 4 doors were giving me problems. I took it to the dealer and the verbal quote to fix the problem was "around $2000.00". I knew the problem wasn't going to fix itself but it was more than I could afford at the time. It was especially difficult to imagine that a car worth around $10,000 had 20% of its value in door latches and agitators. Beginning summer of 2015 all four doors were/are only working with the remote about 1 out of 10 times. But my driver side rear door now wasn't opening AT ALL. I took it back to the dealer, who was extremely courteous, and they gave me a written quote of $2,200 for the 4 door latches/agitators plus another $500.00 for the door that wouldn't open problem. So now I have a car worth about $8,500 with about 25-30% of its value in those door latches. The car was perfect for my size (6'4) and worked great when all of the current issues were not issues. In doing my research, it is difficult for me to believe that there hasn't been a recall on this problem since so many other people have had door latch/agitator problems with Ford Escapes. The dealership(s) (I have spoken to 2 certified Ford Dealerships in the process) have NEVER seen all 4 door latches go. The fact that they occasionally work tells me that it could be another issue but the dealership is pretty confident that it is the agitator. Hopefully a recall becomes available in the near future or I may be forced to trade this car in rather than put out so much money for such a seemingly minor issue. I may be better off selling off parts since they apparently carry way more value than a traditional trade-in.

Great value!
By osawe

2010 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Cheap, reliable and fun crossover vehicle. Cheap on gas, reliable and fun to drive. Best from Ford in the last 10 years. If you own one, hold on to it!

Really Very Happy
By bshotts

2010 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have an XLS with the 6 speed automatic. This vehicle is an excellent value for the money. It's very comfortable (I'm 6'3") with an excellent rear seat and cargo room. I have experienced remarkable fuel economy (well over 30 MPG highway, about 20 city) and have experienced no problems whatsoever. Visibility is outstanding (particularly if you remove the rear head restraints as some other reviewers have done).

Cargo space, spacious and comfortable rear seat, visibility, handling, fuel economy.

Smoother shifting transmission.

Gas Mileage
By Staten Island,NY

2010 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very happy with our new escape. Had a transmission recall already but very easy to fix. Don't believe the mileage they tell you that you'll get. I'm averaging 17 in town but did get 26.7 on the highway already. All in all, we're happy with it for the reasonable price we paid.

Roominess, quiet ride and side view mirrors.

Getting the mileage as advertised.

Plenty of Pep and Room to Haul
By KATS

2010 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first 4 cylinder SUV we have ever had. It has plenty of pep around town and on the interstate. Gas mileage is way better than my V8 Mountaineer. This vehicle also has enough room to comfortably haul golf clubs and drums. Can comfortably haul four adult passengers.

Love the Sync package. Takes a little bit to get used to, but works fine.

Interior styling is a little dated.