2010 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2010 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

Tranny Troubles
By winter_driver

2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought new. Exactly the kind of vehicle I needed...big windows, AWD, fuel efficient, cargo space...just right for my cold climate. The 4-banger is fine around the city though it's a slow accelerator off the line and when merging into traffic. V6 was probably a better choice. 1st problem right away was a vibration at about 50 mph. Turned out to be an unbalanced drive shaft, which the dealer promptly corrected. Lots of tranny problems. Rebulit after 3-years. Problems returned less than a year later. Rebuilt again. Lots of similar stories online. When it works, I really like it, but deep down, I have little faith left in the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Bought new...lots of value Great utility Big square windows Look like an SUV, not a jelly bean Great winter vehicle.

Wish I never bought this
By donotbuyford

2010 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Brought a brand new 2010 Ford Escape. Have consistently had AC problems. Just had the 4th dealer try to fix it, this time for $1000+...still not fixed. I've read several reviews re faulty AC units in this make and model. In fact what happened with my AC sounds very similar to the other comments on this site re the 2010 Escape. I also had to replace the rack and pinion and battery. I've put in at least $2500 of repairs within 5 years and 50,000 miles of purchase, and I'm just waiting to hear what's next. This car was a giant waste of money. I am very unhappy with (if not angry about) this purchase. I will never buy another Ford.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the AC design defect

wish i never bought one :(
By usedtobeford

2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

purchased new in 2010. Brake issues at 40,000 km cost me $1000. Had to replace hatch latch as door wouldnt open $420. Now have hard shifts, clunking underneath. Brakes shot again. Dealer wants to replace lower control arms as well, says cant advise if transmission problems until control arms are changed. Grand total of $1600+ Tax. For real!? might have to trade it in for a real car... guess I'm going to hyundai for a santa fe

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

better customer service, it would be nice if Ford stood behind there products. I feel ripped off.

Great value!
By osawe

2010 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Cheap, reliable and fun crossover vehicle. Cheap on gas, reliable and fun to drive. Best from Ford in the last 10 years. If you own one, hold on to it!

Favorite Features

5 speed, sunroof, power options and ant skid.

Suggested Improvements

Standard 4X4.

Worst. Vehicle. Ever.
By jaadamoo

2010 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2010 Escape Limited in November 2009. The bells & whistles attracted me to it. But man, this vehicle has been a nightmare since day 1. The transmission is total crap. It's been in the shop 9 times in 4 years for transmission issues. Now the trans is on the verge of complete failure. Throttle body died at 59k miles, A/C blower is going out, heated seats gave out. It's slowly falling apart. The dealership is always giving me the run-around and repairs are starting to become costly. This is my 6th Ford and sadly it will be my last. I've lost all faith in their products.

Favorite Features

Sync, Active Park Assist

Run Away!
By mel1898

2010 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

When I turned on the AC for the first time this year it made a loud grinding noise for a few seconds, then never cooled. Took it in to the dealership to check and for regular 45,000 mile maintenance. Dealer called and gave the following description of the problem ..."in the AC dryer there is a filter bag with "little blue balls" of dessicant. It seems that it is a very common problem that these filter bags burst and flood the entire AC system with the balls (aka "debris") which causes all the parts to fail and or clog. Many of the parts can't be effectively flushed so the have to be replaced." The cost to replace the entire AC system (all valves, tubes, hoses, evaporator, compressor, condens

Favorite Features

Expensive Repairs under 50,000 miles! Condescending/ Rude Customer Service agents who will discuss "the limitations of your new car warranty" only.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the faulty filter in the $30 AC dryer?

Stay Away!!!
By mountainleigh

2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been a Toyota owner for years...and last year I bought an Escape. I did not have too many problems with it until I went to get the tranmission flushed about 3 weeks ago. The tranmission fluid was so black that the mechanic had to flush it twice costing me the price of 2 flushes. Anyway, he told me that the transmission could go at any time and that I should just sell the vehicle if I didnt want to spend $4000 on a new one. This is a 2010 with 75,000 miles on it! Needless to say, I traded it in this weekend for a Toyota Tacoma. I will NEVER buy another Ford again.

Fed Up with Ford
By calguy1

2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd Ford in 5 years and my 4th transmission. I had a Ford Fusion that had a transmission fail 1,500 miles past warranty and was stuck 250 miles from home. Ended up working a deal with a Ford dealer in Los Banos and bought a 2010 Ford Escape with 38k miles. 3 months later the transmission failed. Got a new tranny from factory (no cost) and now a yr later it has failed again. Dealer looked up history and learned this will be the car's 4th transmission. There seems to be a lot of forums and posts about how bad Ford's transmissions are. Car is no good if the transmission doesn't work. Wish I limped into a Chevy or Honda dealer down in Los Banos.

Favorite Features

Like I said in the review, can't find any favorite features when the transmission doesn't work.

Suggested Improvements

Seems like Ford has forgotten how to build quality cars. Maybe they should go to some of their competitors and learn how to build a quality product.

Throttle body
By gofish5998

2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Two weeks ago my wife bought an 2010 Escape with 39000 miles. The sensor on the throttle body went bad & left my wife setting along the road. The guy at the Ford garage said he had replaced five of them in the last two weeks & there probably won't be a recall. None of the Escapes had over 44,000 miles on them. Lucky she bought it from a local car lot & he took care of it.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, small but big enough, lots of power, love the sinc, bright light inside when you unlock it

Suggested Improvements

recall the throttle body

comments on 2010 escape
By jjpal

2010 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

i have had one issue with the car fuel gage kept changing finally called ford had to replace the instrument cluster i have had tthe transmision do a hard shift three times been asking the dealer about no satisfactory answer from them