Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By jolietjake on
2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
My 2009 Ford Escape has been plagued with transmission issues for a year and a half now. I experience shift flares, hard and harsh shifting, and even times when it can't shift out of first gear. It will also frequently slam into gear when going from P to D or R, causing the entire car to shack violently until banging into gear. After the TSB updates, i get much worse gas milage and the tranny issues have increased. Now i get hesitation in acceleration when coasting or yielding and pressing the accelerator. It's extremely dangerous when making a left hand turn and the car is unresponsive for a few seconds. I have almost had 5 accidents due to this. This car is extremely unsafe.
Favorite Features
Body Design, comfort of seats, handling are all good.
Suggested Improvements
The 6F35 Transmission is awful. The plastic in the interior scratches too easily. The driver seat vibrates when idling at a stop. The windows have become scratched and when rolling them down you hear a grinding noise. The steering wheel has a high pitch squeak when turning left or right. I cannot get my dealer or Ford to help in getting my transmission fixed either.
By kmulvihill
on 01/18/12 11:32 AM (PST)

I too have had the same issues. My transmission was rebuilt at 6,600 miles. Now, at 36,900 the powertrain is having issues. I, too bought the extended warranty, but 2 Ford dealers have said they cannot duplicate the powertrain problems and will not push it through the warranty. I have had the diagnostic done and they want me to drive it in with the light on. I have had trouble accelerating; when in motion, it appears to fall out of gear and drags the RPMs... My gas mileage has dropped significantly and Ford won't/can't fix it. I am not comfortable putting my 5 year old in this car.

By michaelgro
on 06/08/11 10:43 AM (PDT)

I've had the same transmission problems. Ended up having the whole transmission rebuilt at 30,000 miles. Next my cam phase solenoids needed to be replaced. Now I'm back to having rough shifting. Ford will not stand behind this vehicle. Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty and am getting my money's worth. Also had three trips in to the shop in a 2 week period to fix the A/C and air blender doors. Will be dumping this lemon shortly.