2009 Ford Escape 2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Good so far.

2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Review

XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Good so far.
By texaschemist on

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Escape used in June 2010.The Escape handles and accelerates well and has an overall powerful feeling. It was after 2 months of routine driving that I noticed the first problems. The transmission would hesitate when accelerating from a stop and jerk into gear. There was no noise and afterward the transmission was smooth. When it started doing this while making left turns through 4-way stops I decided to take it in and have it looked at. Turns out the transmission was failing to downshift from 2nd to 1st quick enough. A technical bulletin fixed this. I've also noticed that my MPG in winter are much worse than summer (2-4 mpg). Otherwise its a great SUV for the value.

Favorite Features

Excellent 4WD response. Great in snow and rain. Quick acceleration. Aesthetic value. Turning and handling responsivness.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission leaves something to be desired. Improved computer control of downshifting and accelerator response time. Glare on the instrument panel during certain afternoon hours. Engine noise is kind of loud, but radio drowns it out.
By carnut247
on 06/27/11 07:05 AM (PDT)

From your ID it doesn't look like you live in a northern state but if you do, that would explain your lower MPG in the winter. Gas companies use oxygenated fuel in the winter time for better combustion in automobile engines. The result is that it burns cleaner but you get less MPG's. 2-4 MPG lower in the winter time is typical.