Used 2009 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Second vehicle for work
By Randy

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted something like a station wagon, that I did not have to step down into, and did not want all wheel drive. So far the vehicle has performed well, achieving 30 miles to the Cdn. gallon city, and 40 Cdn. Hwy. Five spd a little tricky at first,a taller 5th gear would be appreciated (2500 Rpm at 60 mph). Clutch is a tad heavy, black interior hard to keep clean. Growls during acceleration but quiets down. Some wind noise at hwy speeds or cross winds.I wish they would seal the seams on the body work like Toyota does to prevent salt accumulation. Wife loves it.

Practicality of a station wagon, able to get a 5spd fwd model like this in Canada. Lots of standard options. The final price with all the various incentives I was able to combine brought the price down to a used Toyota Matrix/ Pontiac Vibe.

Taller 5th gear,smoother throws for the transmition, reduce the acceleration growl (sounds cheep), seal the seams on the body work like Toyota,

Good solid suv
By Tony

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The Ford Escape I own is fun to drive. I drive both city and highway and avg. 23.08 MPG. I found this SUV to have all the room I need. I can seat 5 people with comfort. Great sound system, good air, sun roof is easy to operate as well as all other systems and controls.

Sun roof.

The only item I would replace is the speedometer. The graduations are difficult to read. The numbers are 10,20,30,40,50,Etc. While on roadways with a 45, 55, or 65 mph limit it's difficult to see. the numbers could be bigger and have 5 mph settings.

Great SUV
By DQuinones

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am telling Ford did a wonderful job with this one. Its a great Suv from top to bottom. Handles very well, comfortable and fun to drive. I was always skeptical buying a Ford. This is my first Ford and I am so glad it was this one. I test drove a lot of suv's in this class and nothing compared. Looking for a suv that handles like a car, looks good and extremelly comfortable than this is the one. Highly recommended!

Sync,Great legroom and cargo space

Heated side-view mirrors.

So Disappointed!!
By Oroville2

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Loved my last 2 explorers, wanted better economy and all the tech stuff the Escape offered. It is back in the shop for the second time in one week for a problem with the transmission disengaging while driving on the freeway. Pulled over and would not go over 10 mph. Very scary!! Said it needed computer update, but did it again 6 days later.Not sure about Ford quality anymore.

SYNC, good visibility, no blind spot, the way the back seats fold down and the Gas mileage

Make sure ALL computer updates are ran before cars are sold. better lumbar support.

Dont't buy it
By RHShaffer

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first and last ford. I wanted to buy an American made car and unfortunately I made a huge mistake. I travel for my work and need a reliable comfortable, roomy and efficient vehicle. I bought my 2009 ford escape in July and now its October and the vehicle has 14,500 miles on it and is broke down 400 miles away from where I live. I live in Birmingham and my transmission went out in Natchez MS and the car is still there. Not only is the vehicle not reliable but ford fought with me on honoring the warranty on the faulty car they sold me! I am disgusted with the way they've handled my situation and will NEVER buy another ford. I would NOT RECOMMEND anyone to buy an Escape or a ford

Honor your warranty