2009 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Excellent Choice
By Rich on 07/10/09 10:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Exceptional value - Had a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer with 179,000 miles that was in excellent conditioned, but decided to get a newer vehicle. The Escape has all the options except GPS (I have a portable GPS)and trailer hitch, I have just under 5,000 miles on it and averaging combined MPG of 25.4 which is well above the EPA expectations.

finally ford does good
By jim k on 07/04/09 03:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

i just trade in nissian max with 160000 with no major problems.i wanted a suv. i tried rav 4 hated it if you are tall don t even try rav 4 rough ride and very compact. my buddy works at a dealer ship and told me to try 2009 escape he said no problems with it.he did say do not get 2008 model because of 4 speed trans no good 2009 has 6 speed. i tried it and loved it lots of room and getting 23 miles per gallon great for suv with awd. you will not be disappointed. i will give ford a chance don t let me down

The Best!
By Escape777 on 07/02/09 07:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I was looking for a new vehicle and did a lot of looking believe me! I compared rebates, safety, performance, etc., and Ford got my vote! This is my 7th Escape and WOW.. What a gem! A huge improvement over the others in years past! Yesterday I got 28.2 mpg! V6- 4wd. I purchased this baby LOADED... And it's definitely a Very Sweet Ride! I would highly recommend this vehicle. It's very well worth it! Black Pearl is the color and it changes colors in the sunlight. I get tons of comments on this one. Very tight SUV and have not had any problems with the brakes... NONE!

GREAT value - GREAT mpg - GREAT utility
By RAINKIR on 06/30/09 14:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is our 3rd Ford Escape and this is by far the best one yet. The 2009 has a great 4 cylinder engine that has almost the equivalent power of the 2008 V6, with much better fuel consumption (or should I say conservation). We average 24 mpg with mostly city driving, and almost 30 mpg on our last all-highway road trip! It does great in the snow and handles the bumpy roads and potholes with ease. The 4 cyl. doesn't have the fastest acceleration but the mpg more than makes up for that shortcoming (and is to be expected). Nice amount of storage space and cup holders, plenty of room for all your stuff. SYNC is awesome - just plug in your iPod/mp3 player and use your voice to control it!

Fun to Drive
By KP on 06/18/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We just moved to an area where I need AWD for winter driving. Previously drove a Ford Focus (and loved it) but did some shopping of other AWD vehicles other than Ford. Still ended up coming back to the Ford and no regrets! Escape handles nicely on gravel and steep inclines. No problems with braking. Interior is laid out nicely - love the Sync! MPG is that of a SUV, it's to be expected. Very quiet ride compared to other Fords I have owned. Nice options on the XLT that you would expect to pay Limited price for. Really fun to drive!

The worst new car I've ever had
By PeaRat450 on 06/18/09 04:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted to buy American. Unfortunately I think I picked the wrong manufacturer for a small SUV. The build quality is horrible. The shut lines on the doors are way to big and inconsistent. I can fit my finger in the one at the top of the back hatch. The rear folding seat design is horrible. The interior is cheap and plastic abundant. The rear window sounds like it is going to fall out. The rear suspension booms over anything but the smallest bumps. The doors don't shut fully unless you slam them. I could go on and on. I can't deny the fact that it gets good gas mileage for an SUV. "Drive Quality" clearly does not apply to the Escape. Maybe I'll let the bank repo it since their is no resale

Best for the money
By Babydog on 06/16/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 09 with the 2.5 and 5 speed manual. I wanted the lowest price and the 6 speed auto is new. I wanted proven reliability and the 5 speed manual shifts very smooth. Good performance and gas mileage combination with the modern 171 horsepower engine and manual transmission. Has an excellent ride and comfortable seats. Nice on the highway and a good handling city car, too. Fun to drive and fun to sit up high. Safer than earlier models. I have the red metallic. Looks great with legal color tinted windows side and rear. Lots of cargo room with the seats down. Has the updates of a Suv from Japan and feels just as good with a lower price.

Love This SUV!!
By Dan on 06/14/09 14:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2003 Ford Escape XLT for a 2009 model. I got a great deal and 0.0% financing. I opted for the 4-cylinder (to feel a bit "greener" and get better gas mileage). I was very hesitant about this, coming from the V6 2003. But, to my great surprise this is a very peppy SUV and I honestly only notice a difference going up steep hills. I love the SYNC option (an option I actually could have cared less about when buying this--but--it works flawlessly with my iPod) and the updates to this are great. I really like how the back seats fold flat now and the fact that you can open the back gate with your key. I LOVE the 2009 Escape!!

Lots of Shopping and Love it!
By MD Driver on 06/14/09 07:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

So I did A LOT of shopping - a lot. Looked at the CR-V, RAV-4 and Escape, with my initial thoughts of going with the CR-V, however I hated the middle console and finally ended up with the Escape. I Love it - great gas milage (@ 26 average) huge fan of the console and the sync technology. Drives very well for a 4 cyl. after coming from a V6 its actually great. My decision had a lot to deal with how I felt in the car rather than what everyone else said - go with your gut!

Great Buy
By Brenda Jolly on 06/10/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this in April of '09 and waited to write this review, because I wanted to see if my delight in this car would hold--it has. So far, I've gotten 26 mpg's but it's still adjusting. I saw where Edmunds said getting the rear seat down was difficult -not so- lift a handle and down it folds. I'm loving the Siris radio that comes free for 6 months. I will subscribe when it runs out. The fit of the car is great. My husband loves it too. I bought this car because when I researched cars on Edmnds, the people who had bought this car gave it such high marks. They were right. No complaints at all.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape Suv in VA is:

$104 per month*