Used 2009 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Wind Noise
By lORNE D ALEXANDER

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love my escape except for the wind noise on the highway that seems to come from the rear hatch door. It is sealed well but the gap on the exterior between the body and the door frame is very wide with no weather stripping. They must not have put this vehicle in the wind tunnel at the factory. Great vehicle except for this but it is very annoying on the highway.

sync, handling, steering, comfortable driving position, fuel mileage, power, warms up really quickly.

Have to do something about the wind noise on the highway and engine/drivetrain noise when taking off.

2009 Sangri Ford Escape AWD V6
By Bjc

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased vehicle used with 14000 miles. Traded in 06 Nissan Maxima. Overall vehicle is good, but have developed noise in drive train that sounds like metal on metal when accelerating after owning for 200 miles. Dealer says normal. Have contacted Ford Motor for confirmation, will post update once I hear from Ford.

Sync, Leather, Moon Roof, height

Drive Train noise

Nice to drive but.....
By vtxrider

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The vehicle has massive blind spots behind the driver and on the passenger side and miniscule rear window. They have very thoughtfully placed the spare tire under the SUV but then put the jack under the cargo area in the. WTF were they thinking. Also there is no gas cap. There is no way to lock the gas cap as there is not one. I brought this up as I lost most of a tank of gas in a Savannah, GA parking garage because of this. The cargo carrier on top is almost useless. With the height of the vehicle and the placement of the doors it makes tying something on unpleasant to say the least. Road noise is high. I have the Sync package and people can hear it through the phone.

Sync. I love playing audio books with it. Next is the lay flat rear seats. Several times I have used this feature. You are left with the problem of where to put the rear seat head rests. So just took them out permanently and left them at home in the basement.

No locking gas cap. Useless and badly designed cargo rack. Poor design features. Road noise. Jack placement. Jack point placement under the vehicle. Last and most dangerous the huge blind spots.

Got a good SUV
By Bill

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the SUV because wife wanted to sit higher than a car. We tested every model we could think of and kept coming back to the Escape. I would recommend the Insync feature. Sun roof is fun. Nice and roomy. V6 provides all the power we need as we travel over mountains. Average MPG highway is 28. In town 20. Would like rear disc breaks. Got stuck in snow a motel parking lot during Christmas blizzard and the was unable to rock to get out but on the snowy icy road very stable and safe.

Insync and Sirius radio. V6 engine

Rear wheel disc brakes.

Much better than a car
By hammer

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I drove the Escape locally and short highway rides for the first 1000 miles to break it in. Then we took a driving vacation from Chicago to Denver and back. What a dream vehicle to travel in. Four adults rode in this vehicle comfortably for 2800 miles. We really love this suv. We bought the XLT with leather and the sirius satelite system. Nice ride.

My wife and I really like the fact that you sit up higher in this suv. We were comparing this to the Subaru Forester we were also looking at. The Escape won out with more options for the dollar, with both cars being equally comparable in safety and other features. FORD rocks! So do the 17" rims.

My only complaint was when I first looked at the sales lot of Escapes, I noticed wires hanging down by the passenger rear wheel. And that I could see the muffler close to the rear tire.