2009 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2009 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

No Asian brand can touch it!
By dumpbuster

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have been in the business for 40 years and just retired. Demo-less for the first time, I bought what I have come to believe (and now know) is the finest small SUV in the marketplace. The fit and finish is second to none. The comfort, ditto. Gas mileage for a powerful v-6 is excellent and if you like squeaks or rattles, buy a CR-V or a Sante Fe, not an Escape. The interior quality makes the Murano look like a Yugo. If you want the best made SUV (based on my 40 years of experience) on the market, buy an Escape. If you can live without the whistles and bells, buy the XL but stay away from the 4 cyl. The domestics still haven't gotten the hang of building a powerful, torquey 4-banger.

Favorite Features

Fit and finish, solidity, power, smoothness, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Not a thing!

Ford moves in right direction
By sean

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2009 Ford Escape is in my opinion one of the best cars Ford has ever produced and represents part of their new commitment to reliability and excellence. The 09 Escape is comfortable, utilitarian and a pleasure to drive. I test drove almost every small to middle SUV on the market. I found myself comparing everything to the Escape. I was quite surprised by this as I come from a family that almost always buys foreign autos. IN all of my test drives the Escape bested every other vehicle in terms of comfort, pragmatism and function. I believe that the 09 is also a vast improvement over the 08. If you are in the market for a SUV I highly recommend this car. Ford earned my business!

Favorite Features

Safety, car like dynamics, design, standard Stability and Traction Control

Suggested Improvements

The 4 cylinder engine could use a bit more power when passing other cars. Overall small gripes about the car.

Great purchase
By Todd

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

All I can say is that the price is right, the look is right, the ride is right and the fuel efficiency is right for this SUV. I also got the entertainment package and moon and tune package along with the standard upgrades on the limited version. Just a great SUV and I highly recommend this to anyone. Not sure why the Editor's have an average rating of 6.9 but the consumers have a 9.1 rating...in this case believe the consumers!

Favorite Features

See above.

Suggested Improvements

none

Missed it by that much...
By Mr. Coke

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

As all new car buyer's, I was looking for safety, quality, manufacture reputation, and price. My wife and I have found almost all of that in our 2009 Escape XLT. It is a good vehicle, very economical, and meets all of our needs, but I wish that it caused a little more excitement. It is just a plain, simple, vehicle. The exterior styling is fine; but the interior reminds me of fish scales, and everything is made from plastic. We chose to upgrade to the leather package, but still feels like you are sitting inside of a childrenís toy. We like Fords, and will continue to buy their vehicles in the future, but just feel like Ford slightly, missed the mark with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Microsoft SYNC System - Voice command stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Re-designed interior, and bring a little more excitement to the driving experience.

2nd Escape in less than 2 years!
By Rickw

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought our second Escape in less than 2 years (used cash for clunkers trade in). I keep looking at other SUV's, but always return to the Escape; too much value for the money over the others. Handles deep snow and steep hills with out a problem. Go escape!!!

Favorite Features

Love the bluetooth and V6 power. 4WD is wonderful!

Suggested Improvements

Grip assist handels on all entry doors. Sun visor extension.

one twice three times a for owner!!
By msgr8tescape

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Well I have had many cars in my 30 yrs this is my 3rd ford and im no where near dissappointed in their cars yet. I love my truck would have given nothing but ten's but i have had a little problems and Im only at 1200 miles. I think i love my truck so much because i bought it BSN (brand spankin' new) so Im very please. After two trips to the service department my truck was diagnosed with a bad instrument panel which caused Candy (Shes red) spedometer and tachometer to go off by themselves just with the turn of the key and rev up as if you were pressing on the gas, all the way up 120 mph!! But she's being fixed right now and because of the excellent warranty I pay nothing :)!!!

Favorite Features

The sync is a dream and I was given a run thru it when i bought it and have used it daily, the space and pretty shiny color red hot

Suggested Improvements

the keyless entry pad should be standard

Great SUV
By Louise

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is our first NEW car in almost 25 years. We have been wanting a small SUV and after a lot of research we decided on the Ford Escape. Besides the comfort, the street appeal and the reliability ratings, this FWD,4 cyl. 6 speed trans. is getting nearly 27 mpg! It's only 4 days old and supposed to have even better mileage when broken in. We live in the Ozarks where it's all mountain driving and the car handles like it was a V6! There's no road noise and the automatic shifting is effortless. The front seats are ample and the Sirius music is awesome! This SUV has a lot of classy features and we know we will be enjoying it for a long time.

Favorite Features

Reliability, attention given to detail on every aspect of the vehicle, comfort, and very reasonably priced

Suggested Improvements

None

Caution!
By Caution!

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchashed this brand new 2009 Ford Escape Limited Edition 4WD about a month ago. I drove this vehicle off the lot with 100 miles and a bad drivers door seal that leaked and you can hear air whisping by. It didnt worry me much because the waranty would cover the repair. It was taken to the shop the next week and I picked it up four days later. The problem was still not fixed. The next day the check engine light came on. I took it back to the shop they said that the fuel cap seal was not working properly. I took it right bck to the dealership and returned it with 500 miles on it.Ford should have put more time into testing this vehicle before letting it out for consumers to purchase.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Fun options. SYNC was great.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality!!!!! Ill never buy another Ford.

traded within three months
By erb

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

A week after I drove it off the lot, I noted the steering wheel vibrated quite a bit while idling at red lights. Once it got hot and I started running the A/C, the vibration spread to the entire dash. My passengers could feel it. It was getting worse and the dealer said all the V4's did it, and they wouldn't do anything to fix it. "The car operates in the manner in which it was designed" was what the service reps and all the Ford reps said. Eventually the vibration got so bad that the antenna on the passenger side OUTSIDE the car would vibrate with the inside of the car. Ford said that was normal. I gave up and traded it in for a Mazda.

Favorite Features

leather seats were great, the 6 cd changer and satellite radio was great.

Suggested Improvements

there is no excuse for Ford to let an obvious vibration slide like that. Very disappointing.

Growing Pains
By BitterSweet

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have enjoyed driving the Escape, but disappointed in its reliability. A bad wheel bearing was replaced at 3000 miles. A part for the steering wheel shaft was ordered at the same time. The airtime/rollercoaster feeling when driving over 'dips' in country roads was unexpected. Removable cup holders and easy to vacuum interior makes upkeep of the interior simple. Folding down the rear seats is easy, but I have had to search for the seat belts after setting the seats back up. Currently, 26mpg is it's avg highway mileage, I expect to see this increase with the recent repairs. Finally, I keep window cleaner in the suv due to significant drop in visability with any dirt on the windshield.

Favorite Features

Sync, Moon/Sun roof, easy to vacuum interior, center storage.

Suggested Improvements

Have Sync wireless connect to Zune Cross bars standard with roof rack