2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Very Happy With Decision To Buy Ford
By Doris G. on 08/31/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first suv and the only difference i noticed from driving the car was I sat taller and the passing power in the truck felt a little slower. Other than that I love this vehicle. The handle and braking is great, the ride and turns are smooth, the gas tank and mileage are the same and my previous car, and the look is so versatile that I feel so feminine just being next to it, yet when I see a man in it, the look it totally masculine. The only thing I wish my car had is the new "Ford" front grill.

My First Car
By Gregg on 08/24/09 23:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Well after i got my license, my parents decided to buy me a car. We looked at Chevy and Ford, and since i wanted an SUV but didn't want to pay $90 at the pump like my dad's old 07 jeep commander (now has an '09 maxima) we decided on the Escape. My Mom wanted great Safety scores, which the Escape has, so there's another plus. I enjoy driving this car, the power steering and the ease of controlling the wheel is a joy. The car just feels good and solid throughout. I am very satisfied with my first car.

Wife's new best friend
By RHunt on 08/20/09 19:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After 6 months of research and numerous test drives, it was love at first drive. Handles extremely well with great visibility and surprising power from the 240hp 3 liter. The 6 speed transmission took a little getting used to with near seamless shifting. We've experienced around 20mpg in town and 27mpg on the highway. Nicely laid out with leather interior and chrome accents, ambient floor lighting and the Sync system which in my opinion, is a must for anyone who owns a cell phone. I have not doubt that "the boss" will be enjoying her SUV for a very long time!

I Love It!!
By happyfordowner on 08/20/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Escape (we named her Carly) for about 6 mo. and I am very happy. I love to drive it. I have the Sun n' Sync package and I love having a sun roof, sirrus radio/cd/am/fm/aux jack. I also like the USB port. I avg. 26 mpg mixed city/hwy driving which is pretty good for a V6 SUV. I like the sporty look and feel as well. Very comfortable to drive, all ready took it on a 1200 mi roundtrip vacation with my husband and 2 kids. Very roomy and comfy. I added heated seats and remote start for cold WI winters. The seats fold down and is great for 2 black labs - wish the back windows opened for venting. The dogs would like that too! All around I am very happy!! Love my Escape!

Great small SUV
By Escape_Fan on 08/20/09 07:26 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

In June I purchased a 2009 Escape XLT AWD with the 4cyl engine. I have been waiting to write a review until I had driven it for a while. I live in the Boston area. I have taken my Escape on vacations to Cape Cod and to Acadia National Park in Maine. Commuting to work I average 24mpg, while on the highway I get 28mpg. I love my Escape except for one thing. The 4cyl engine is too noisy for me, especially when accelerating. Once up to cruising speed, the Escape is remarkably quiet. Also, while peppy, the 4cyl really struggled climbing the hills of Maine, especially with the AC on. If I could go back and buy my Escape again, I would get the 6cyl FWD which has the same combined mpg as 4cyl AWD.

Some disappointment
By GVLIVING on 08/16/09 12:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Thought I'd wait a few months before reviewing. I do like the Escape but it does have flaws. Tan interior dash looks great but causes so much glare your eyes get tired on a lengthy trip. Should have black upper part like most autos. Also glare on tach/speedometer plastic at certain times of day. Seats are fairly comfortable even though there is no lumbar support offered. Surprised about that. Transmission gives off a hoot or whoot everytime you start off. Common problem on forums. There is a vibration somewhere in the dash directly in front of the driver. It cannot be located and on many occasions drives me nuts. Wish I had done more research on the Ford Escape forums before buying.

My First Ford
By Robert on 08/15/09 09:05 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the car for 3 weeks now and nothing to concerning. As most people I did all the research I could. What drew me to this car was its changes from 08-09 all pointing to better gas mileage and better outside design on the front end. I have been very pleased with so far an 24-25MPG City average with 240hp V6-not bad. I with being my first ford the initial quality appears to be impressive, I hope I am saying the same thing 5 years later. My only concern as others have noticed is a good deal of plastic with the interior-but this was not enough of an issue to keep from buying the Escape.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Roy C on 08/09/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have purchased Chrysler products for years, most recently a 300 C. I'm so glad I switched to Ford. I had a 2009 Flex AWD Limited that I loved, but due to the uncertainty of the economy, I took a proactive approach and "down sized" my ride. I was so impressed with the quality of the Flex, I stayed with Ford and went with the more economical Escape Limited. What a pleasant surprise...I bought it from a dealer that was 75 miles from my home and on the way home it was already averaging 28.5 mpg! The ride and handling are good, the engine is more responsive and the radio is better than I expected. It's not the Flex by any means...but @ $14,000 less it's a great car.

No Asian brand can touch it!
By dumpbuster on 08/09/09 19:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have been in the business for 40 years and just retired. Demo-less for the first time, I bought what I have come to believe (and now know) is the finest small SUV in the marketplace. The fit and finish is second to none. The comfort, ditto. Gas mileage for a powerful v-6 is excellent and if you like squeaks or rattles, buy a CR-V or a Sante Fe, not an Escape. The interior quality makes the Murano look like a Yugo. If you want the best made SUV (based on my 40 years of experience) on the market, buy an Escape. If you can live without the whistles and bells, buy the XL but stay away from the 4 cyl. The domestics still haven't gotten the hang of building a powerful, torquey 4-banger.

Ford moves in right direction
By sean on 08/02/09 16:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2009 Ford Escape is in my opinion one of the best cars Ford has ever produced and represents part of their new commitment to reliability and excellence. The 09 Escape is comfortable, utilitarian and a pleasure to drive. I test drove almost every small to middle SUV on the market. I found myself comparing everything to the Escape. I was quite surprised by this as I come from a family that almost always buys foreign autos. IN all of my test drives the Escape bested every other vehicle in terms of comfort, pragmatism and function. I believe that the 09 is also a vast improvement over the 08. If you are in the market for a SUV I highly recommend this car. Ford earned my business!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape in VA is:

$104 per month*