Used 2009 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Second vehicle for work
By Randy on 11/18/09 20:29 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted something like a station wagon, that I did not have to step down into, and did not want all wheel drive. So far the vehicle has performed well, achieving 30 miles to the Cdn. gallon city, and 40 Cdn. Hwy. Five spd a little tricky at first,a taller 5th gear would be appreciated (2500 Rpm at 60 mph). Clutch is a tad heavy, black interior hard to keep clean. Growls during acceleration but quiets down. Some wind noise at hwy speeds or cross winds.I wish they would seal the seams on the body work like Toyota does to prevent salt accumulation. Wife loves it.

Good solid suv
By Tony on 11/11/09 12:39 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The Ford Escape I own is fun to drive. I drive both city and highway and avg. 23.08 MPG. I found this SUV to have all the room I need. I can seat 5 people with comfort. Great sound system, good air, sun roof is easy to operate as well as all other systems and controls.

Great SUV
By DQuinones on 11/04/09 02:02 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am telling Ford did a wonderful job with this one. Its a great Suv from top to bottom. Handles very well, comfortable and fun to drive. I was always skeptical buying a Ford. This is my first Ford and I am so glad it was this one. I test drove a lot of suv's in this class and nothing compared. Looking for a suv that handles like a car, looks good and extremelly comfortable than this is the one. Highly recommended!

So Disappointed!!
By Oroville2 on 10/25/09 16:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Loved my last 2 explorers, wanted better economy and all the tech stuff the Escape offered. It is back in the shop for the second time in one week for a problem with the transmission disengaging while driving on the freeway. Pulled over and would not go over 10 mph. Very scary!! Said it needed computer update, but did it again 6 days later.Not sure about Ford quality anymore.

Dont't buy it
By RHShaffer on 10/25/09 16:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first and last ford. I wanted to buy an American made car and unfortunately I made a huge mistake. I travel for my work and need a reliable comfortable, roomy and efficient vehicle. I bought my 2009 ford escape in July and now its October and the vehicle has 14,500 miles on it and is broke down 400 miles away from where I live. I live in Birmingham and my transmission went out in Natchez MS and the car is still there. Not only is the vehicle not reliable but ford fought with me on honoring the warranty on the faulty car they sold me! I am disgusted with the way they've handled my situation and will NEVER buy another ford. I would NOT RECOMMEND anyone to buy an Escape or a ford

we like it!
By Biffle Fan on 10/05/09 09:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the Escape as a daily driver. The AWD was a must for the winters here. Very practical for my wife and I and our 5yr old daughter. Seats are comfortable. The revised V6 is great. Runs strong. Gas mileage hovers in the 23.5 range with 70%/30% mix of rural 2 lane highway/city driving every week. Very nimble to drive. Was plenty comfoirtable for us on a 600 mile trip to the beach.

Fantistic SUV - Perfect Size for Me
By Matt H on 09/30/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After a 4-year break from having a SUV (Had an '01 Explorer Sport), I am so happy to have purchased this vehicle. The size is perfect - not too big so parking is a breeze (plus the reverse sensor helps), but big enough to haul my bicycles and dog in the back. On a 1200 mile roundtrip of mostly highway driving, I averaged 26 mph, which I confirmed against my gas consumption and the miles driven. The sync system is like none other as is the navigation. It's a very addictive machine - great job Ford!

Bad start with Ford
By YB on 09/25/09 15:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is the first Ford vehicle I buy and I am very disappointed with the build quality. First 2 weeks and there is already a welding spot inside the left rear end that causing a constant ratlle sound upon departure. The dealer fixed it but it left me with a very sour taste about Ford quality. Especially because I had driven only in city roads and not off-road. Now I noticed the sound that many forums people have experienced. I really wonder what is next...

Beware -Think...Read before your buy
By BEWARE on 09/21/09 15:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have problem after problem with the SUV. Really thinking about public transportation. Clicking in the wheels, shifting is horrible, transmission seal leaked and this is in the first 3 months of me own the vehicle. The good reviews must be from the dealerships. Think and research before you make this purchase.

My Rolling Stones Escape purchase
By dave524 on 09/05/09 15:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

It's not exactly what I wanted, but the more I drive it the more I think it's what I need. I wanted a Ford Edge but the price wasn't right. So I test drove the Escape and looked at the mpg rating and figured it might be what I need. It's fun to drive, almost like a car. It's real nimble. The acceleration isn't that great but once the 6 speed auto transmission gets you up to 40 mph, it takes off. But the main thing for me is the fuel economy. My last truck was a gas guzzler, so it's nice to not have to pay frequent visits to the gas station. The true test will be seeing how it deals with Chicago winters.