Used 2009 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Check your transmission
By Dana

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In the beginning of the year I purchased a used 2009 Ford Escape from the Ford Dealership with 23,000 miles on it. About a week later I was on the highway and the rpm started racing and car wouldn't accelerate. Ended up bringing truck back to dealer because it happened a few times and was so unsafe. I hadn't made my first truck payment yet and they adv me I needed a new tranny. After doing online research there are a TON of people who had the same prob, while there is no official recall BE AWARE it is a widespread issue. It took 6 weeks to get the new tranny because they were back ordered. The truck is great now, but it really destroyed my confidence in the purchase. Guess it's mine now.

The interior and exterior parts of the car look great. The mechanical problems w the vehicle are the problem.

UMMM Fix the Transmission problem. Is it that hard to come out with a quality product? You don't charge any less. If i wanted to have mechanical issues I could have gotten a way better deal on A TOYOTA right about now.

Great Car, Great value!
By Stan

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I traded in our 1985 Jeep grand wagoneer for a 2009 Ford Escape XLT as part of the cash for clunkers program. We had researched this vehicle and it was definitely the best vehicle for the price. One year and 23,000 miles later, we are still happy with the Escape. It is a good looking, (flame red) good handling car. The 240 horsepower v-6 gives it sports car like performance. We've only been able to manage about 24 mpg out of it on the open road, but that is really good mileage for this type of vehicle. We've had the transmission computer reprogrammed and a sensor replaced at no charge to us. Neither of these things affected the drivability of the vehicle.

The dashboard layout is great, and the 240 horsepower V-6 is quiet and powerful. The nSync system is impressive.

The change oil warning should be easier to reset.

One Year Later
By seancav

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have now had my 09 Escape for one full year. I am happy to report that I very pleased with it. It has been very reliable and fun to drive. I have spent two months in the mountains with it and have found it to be one tough vehicle. I have to do some trail riding in the mountains and the traction control on the car has taken me to places that I could not have gone without it. I am surprised that some of the recent reviews have given this SUV such a low rating. I love this car. Before this purchase I had only bought cars from Japan. I wanted to spend my dollars in the US. I gave Ford a try and am glad that I did. Do not be afraid to buy this car. Its great!

engine, well built car

more power with the four cylinder

Buyer Beware
By BADCHOICE

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

One month ago I purchased a 2009 Ford escape from a local dealer. Before the first payment was made, it was un- driveable. The vehicle started but there were no power locks/Windows/radio/cdplayer, and the emergency brake light was illuminated on the dash yet the brake was disengaged. The shifter would not move, it was locked in park. Apparently it's a faulty computer module that is a widespread problem with the 2009's. So widespread, in fact, that the part is on back-order from the mother-ship in the states, and they have no idea when it's going to be in. Could be 6hrs, 6days or6mons. The seal on the module leaked water and the components completely corroded inside. Good work Ford, I will never buy another!

Hmm favorite features. It'd be nice if I even remembered what it looked like! I've been driving a rental longer than I drove my new vehicle that I'm now paying big bucks for. Less than 2 weeks & 1000 km and it quits. Give me a break.

Ford needs to get their act together, maybe think about designing & building a quality product instead of just lining their pockets and screwing over the consumer! Don't buy Ford you will be sorry! Should have kept my 2000 neon on the road, I could probably get in it and drive to bc and back no problem

American Quality?
By Jeff H

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought American to support my country and UAW after years of Asian vehicles. Engine runs/idles louder/rougher than comparable imports and SUV has been into dealer 3 times for over 3 weeks. Mysterious clunking in rear (Ford engineer called in), leaky transmission, transmission shifting problems (recall to reprogram control module solved them). Overall, I like the vehicle but have been a little disappointed with the overall quality and experience of owning it. Certainly makes me question the contention that domestic vehicles are equal to and exceeding imports. And, it seems like every other car on the road is an Escape!

Fairly roomy and comfortable, decent gas mileage (24-25 mpg combined), 170 HP is more than adequate, full chrome grill (on Limited), chrome spoke wheels look nice, wet trunk storage, backup warning beeper.

Microsoft SYNC works correctly maybe 60% of the time is not as great as it's made out to be. Quieter engine, little less jarring ride over uneven pavement. Need to remove rear headrests to fold down back seat a little inconvenient. Escapes are being discontinued after next year.