2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
2009 Sangri Ford Escape AWD V6
By Bjc on 01/29/10 15:30 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased vehicle used with 14000 miles. Traded in 06 Nissan Maxima. Overall vehicle is good, but have developed noise in drive train that sounds like metal on metal when accelerating after owning for 200 miles. Dealer says normal. Have contacted Ford Motor for confirmation, will post update once I hear from Ford.

Nice to drive but.....
By vtxrider on 01/16/10 12:11 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The vehicle has massive blind spots behind the driver and on the passenger side and miniscule rear window. They have very thoughtfully placed the spare tire under the SUV but then put the jack under the cargo area in the. WTF were they thinking. Also there is no gas cap. There is no way to lock the gas cap as there is not one. I brought this up as I lost most of a tank of gas in a Savannah, GA parking garage because of this. The cargo carrier on top is almost useless. With the height of the vehicle and the placement of the doors it makes tying something on unpleasant to say the least. Road noise is high. I have the Sync package and people can hear it through the phone.

Got a good SUV
By Bill on 01/15/10 07:21 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the SUV because wife wanted to sit higher than a car. We tested every model we could think of and kept coming back to the Escape. I would recommend the Insync feature. Sun roof is fun. Nice and roomy. V6 provides all the power we need as we travel over mountains. Average MPG highway is 28. In town 20. Would like rear disc breaks. Got stuck in snow a motel parking lot during Christmas blizzard and the was unable to rock to get out but on the snowy icy road very stable and safe.

Much better than a car
By hammer on 01/05/10 23:36 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I drove the Escape locally and short highway rides for the first 1000 miles to break it in. Then we took a driving vacation from Chicago to Denver and back. What a dream vehicle to travel in. Four adults rode in this vehicle comfortably for 2800 miles. We really love this suv. We bought the XLT with leather and the sirius satelite system. Nice ride.

Excelent SUV!
By Holly on 12/18/09 05:16 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Just got this car a couple days ago and I am LOVING IT! wouldnt trade it for anything! except maybe one with 4WD..lol. ALL IN ALL GREAT!

Satisfied so far
By Renegade21 on 12/16/09 12:20 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I wanted a SUV for utility but didn't want to sacrifice much on MPG. I get about 24/27mpg (city/hwy) and probably average about 25 overall. The Escape is fun to drive and pretty comfortable. I'm glad I went with the 6 cylinder. It has pretty good pickup but struggles initially. Handling is pretty nimble for an SUV. Get the Sync system! I love controlling my iPod and phone by voice. Overall a great SUV that I've enjoyed so far and haven't had any problems with. (about 7500 miles driven so far)

Buyer Beware
By Gatorpit on 11/24/09 05:03 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Our Escape makes a Hoot noise when accelerating from a stop. The Noise is loud and annoying. Not all Escapes make this noise. Ford acknowleges the noise but it is not a safety issue so they are going to fix it. I am disappointed with there attitude and after my 5th new Ford it is going to be my last. It is unfortunate that manufactures are allowed to get away with this. Make sure you thoroughly test and inspect your vehicle before taking a delivery or you will get stuck with it like I did.

Best choice for mid-size SUV AWD
By Carole on 11/21/09 06:48 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I read reviews, test drove 15 different, checked out 10 dealers. Hands down the Ford Escape was the best deal for us. The RAV 4 is way overpriced, seats very uncomfortable. We couldn't imagine what agony a long trip would be. Same with everything else we drove. We've logged 5900 miles in 3.5 months. There's not much we don't like other than the gas mileage & the paint surface is already scratched. Lowering the back seats does require getting used to & the position of the arm rest/console could be moved forward for easier access. Glove box useless. Winter weather will determine if the love affair continues.

Second vehicle for work
By Randy on 11/18/09 20:29 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted something like a station wagon, that I did not have to step down into, and did not want all wheel drive. So far the vehicle has performed well, achieving 30 miles to the Cdn. gallon city, and 40 Cdn. Hwy. Five spd a little tricky at first,a taller 5th gear would be appreciated (2500 Rpm at 60 mph). Clutch is a tad heavy, black interior hard to keep clean. Growls during acceleration but quiets down. Some wind noise at hwy speeds or cross winds.I wish they would seal the seams on the body work like Toyota does to prevent salt accumulation. Wife loves it.

Good solid suv
By Tony on 11/11/09 12:39 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The Ford Escape I own is fun to drive. I drive both city and highway and avg. 23.08 MPG. I found this SUV to have all the room I need. I can seat 5 people with comfort. Great sound system, good air, sun roof is easy to operate as well as all other systems and controls.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape in VA is:

$105 per month*