2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Good so far.
By texaschemist on 03/24/11 16:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Escape used in June 2010.The Escape handles and accelerates well and has an overall powerful feeling. It was after 2 months of routine driving that I noticed the first problems. The transmission would hesitate when accelerating from a stop and jerk into gear. There was no noise and afterward the transmission was smooth. When it started doing this while making left turns through 4-way stops I decided to take it in and have it looked at. Turns out the transmission was failing to downshift from 2nd to 1st quick enough. A technical bulletin fixed this. I've also noticed that my MPG in winter are much worse than summer (2-4 mpg). Otherwise its a great SUV for the value.

Satisfied 1.5 Years Later
By Ray on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in July 2009, drove 1000 miles to break-in before a trip from Pittsburgh to Oregon. Very comfortable ride for 2 people over a week and a half. Highway gas mileage was 28-32 mpg. Still average 25-30 mpg with my rural driving. Would have liked AWD with a manual tranny, but the one time I drove on an untreated, snow-covered road (~1") the FWD did fine with factory tires. Also glad I went with the stick once I heard stories about the 6-speed auto. No problems with my vehicle 17,000 miles, 1.5 years later. Rides well, though the body pitches up/down excessively when applying power or braking (making smooth uphill stops/starts difficult).

2009 Sangri Ford Escape AWD V6 update
By bjc on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After 11,000 miles have had to take the vehicle back to the dealer because they fouled up the brakes. Took it in for an oil change and mentioned funny noise when decelerating and ended up going back 5 times because the brakes weren't right. Now I am returning 10-12-2010 because of an oil leak on the drivers side of vehicle. Dealer says oil filter on passenger side so not sure what is leaking, sure hope not transmission. I am 2nd guessing myself now for buying a Ford and wonder how many more times I will be in the service department with it.

After One Year of Ownership
By mjm87 on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Ford Escape XLT AWD in June of 2009. Ever since then, I have enjoyed every minute being in my Escape. The visibility of the Escape is excellent, the 4 cylinder engine puts out plenty of horsepower to get you where you need to go, the 6-speed transmission shifts smoothly, it is easy to park, and has some of the best technology compared to any vehicle on the road. It has been to dealership once for a PCM flash for the transmission's occasional hard shifting from drive to reverse. That problem has gone away and the vehicle shifts much better than before. The SYNC system is outstanding and I personally find the AC unit to be one of the best I have ever experienced. Great buy

Check your transmission
By Dana on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In the beginning of the year I purchased a used 2009 Ford Escape from the Ford Dealership with 23,000 miles on it. About a week later I was on the highway and the rpm started racing and car wouldn't accelerate. Ended up bringing truck back to dealer because it happened a few times and was so unsafe. I hadn't made my first truck payment yet and they adv me I needed a new tranny. After doing online research there are a TON of people who had the same prob, while there is no official recall BE AWARE it is a widespread issue. It took 6 weeks to get the new tranny because they were back ordered. The truck is great now, but it really destroyed my confidence in the purchase. Guess it's mine now.

Great Car, Great value!
By Stan on 09/03/10 00:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I traded in our 1985 Jeep grand wagoneer for a 2009 Ford Escape XLT as part of the cash for clunkers program. We had researched this vehicle and it was definitely the best vehicle for the price. One year and 23,000 miles later, we are still happy with the Escape. It is a good looking, (flame red) good handling car. The 240 horsepower v-6 gives it sports car like performance. We've only been able to manage about 24 mpg out of it on the open road, but that is really good mileage for this type of vehicle. We've had the transmission computer reprogrammed and a sensor replaced at no charge to us. Neither of these things affected the drivability of the vehicle.

One Year Later
By seancav on 07/29/10 07:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have now had my 09 Escape for one full year. I am happy to report that I very pleased with it. It has been very reliable and fun to drive. I have spent two months in the mountains with it and have found it to be one tough vehicle. I have to do some trail riding in the mountains and the traction control on the car has taken me to places that I could not have gone without it. I am surprised that some of the recent reviews have given this SUV such a low rating. I love this car. Before this purchase I had only bought cars from Japan. I wanted to spend my dollars in the US. I gave Ford a try and am glad that I did. Do not be afraid to buy this car. Its great!

Buyer Beware
By BADCHOICE on 07/21/10 08:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

One month ago I purchased a 2009 Ford escape from a local dealer. Before the first payment was made, it was un- driveable. The vehicle started but there were no power locks/Windows/radio/cdplayer, and the emergency brake light was illuminated on the dash yet the brake was disengaged. The shifter would not move, it was locked in park. Apparently it's a faulty computer module that is a widespread problem with the 2009's. So widespread, in fact, that the part is on back-order from the mother-ship in the states, and they have no idea when it's going to be in. Could be 6hrs, 6days or6mons. The seal on the module leaked water and the components completely corroded inside. Good work Ford, I will never buy another!

American Quality?
By Jeff H on 07/20/10 16:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought American to support my country and UAW after years of Asian vehicles. Engine runs/idles louder/rougher than comparable imports and SUV has been into dealer 3 times for over 3 weeks. Mysterious clunking in rear (Ford engineer called in), leaky transmission, transmission shifting problems (recall to reprogram control module solved them). Overall, I like the vehicle but have been a little disappointed with the overall quality and experience of owning it. Certainly makes me question the contention that domestic vehicles are equal to and exceeding imports. And, it seems like every other car on the road is an Escape!

Well worth it
By bman on 07/05/10 11:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this vehicle used from a local dealer. Had a Fusion previously and definitely love the extra room. Has a great ride, mpg, and low wind noise. Test drove Rav4, Pilots, and Equinox and kept coming back to the Ford.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape in VA is:

$104 per month*