2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Nicely Upgraded
By lived 2 tell on 01/31/09 13:26 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My new car arrived in 12/09 replacing an 07 Escape The 07 was totaled in a catastrophic accident and I lived to tell about it. Thank you Ford for your safety engineering. The 09 4 cylinder has comparable performance to the 07 with a v6. The interior is comfy and controls are easy to use. The 4 cylinder is a bit loud but not awful. I sit and idle for portions of the day (in the cold northern winter) and the mileage is still respectable. This 09 is a nice upgrade over the 07.

My 09 Escape
By Glenn on 01/29/09 20:40 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I had just gotten my new Escape XLT a few weeks ago. Let me start by saying it's a sharp looking small SUV. I stayed away from the all wheel drive after hearing a lot of problems people were having with them. Well the 6cyl. Ft. wheel drive is great. The one issue is the transmission. The new 6 speed is nice but the gears settings are rough. The 1st. gear drags out and shifting could be smoother. For a 240hp V6 the power is there it just takes a bit to get it out. The sync is great, power windows, door locks, one touch moon roof, keyless touch pad, etc. All very nice. Overall a great SUV for the class & the price.

I love my Escape
By KenH on 01/28/09 12:32 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2009 Ford Escape XLT 3.0 V- 6 for my wife for Christmas. We had tested the Honda CRV, Subarau Forrester, Hyundai Santa Fe and Sonata before we drove the Escape. When she sat down in it, she said this is the one. We love the ride, the comfort the style and the gas mileage. We are currently averaging 25mpg combined. It rides smoother and quieter than my brother in law's Escalade. The power is great. I love the Sync system and the Sirius radio. I would and have recommended the Escape to other people.

No complaints after 5,000 miles
By RGD on 01/27/09 20:28 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

While the Escape is a little dated in style, I like the practical, rugged looks. It drives comfortably and I am impressed at the acceleration and overall power of the 4-cyl combined with the 6-speed automatic. The traction control and anti-lock brakes have improved winter handling. Sun and sync package is fun and convenient for handsfree cell calls. Gas mileage has been as high as 30 (a full tank at about 60-65 with no wind) and has never been lower than 21 (all short stop and start in town). Overall average is around 24-25. Comfortable height to get in and out, as most small SUVs. I'm happy.

Very happy with this Escape
By Gary on 01/24/09 23:07 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Have had just over a week, have 550 miles. Took it to ski for a week at a resort 125 miles away, it handled the slick roads at the resort with no problem (4WD) the v6 is very good,and it's nowhere near broken in. The 6 speed tranny is wonderful; smooth shifts, timing is great and will get better as it "learns", I'm told. Mileage on first trip, to, from and around the ski resort was 23.4 mpg, all in cold snowy weather. You're not supposed to love anything that can't love you back, but at this point, I'm in serious "like" with this Ford.

Rethink Ford!
By The Cook Family on 01/20/09 04:24 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I want everyone to rethink Ford as their cars and trucks are just as reliable as their Japanese counterparts. I bought this to replace my 2004 Escape V6. I have to admit that the 2.5L has just as much pep as the V6 did in the 2004. The fit and finish is night and day between the two. I looked at all of the competitors and found this one to be much better in style, interior comfort and fuel economy. I read all of the reviews and did not understand why a lot of reviews claim poor quality and outdated design. Have you looked at the RAV4 lately. Interior and exterior are so ugly. I want my SUV to look like one otherwise I would have gotten a car.

Keeps getting better!
By indydan on 01/17/09 15:45 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd Escape, after owning an '04 and an '06. This one has a much better ride with the Michelin tires, is roomy for a 6'5" guy like me, and handles really well. The V-6 is much peppier than my previous Escapes and the new 6 speed transmission is very responsive. Mine is the new Torch red color, and it's turned many heads in the few weeks I have owned it. The sync system is really cool and works great with my cellphone. I feel very safe in the vehicle, and other than some engine noise on acceleration, it is reasonably quiet on the road.

Not Happy
By Stephanie G on 01/10/09 14:35 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After driving a klunker for years, I was really looking forward to my brand new Escape. Unfortunately, thanks to the capless fuel system, my SES light has remained on most of the time I've owned the vehicle. Debris gets into the system (imagine that!), which causes the light to come on. I've taken it to a dealer twice. It comes back on a few days later. New vehicles are not supposed to have problems! It's been a disappointment for me.

Snow and ice test drive.
By Fond of Fords on 01/08/09 20:41 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I set up an appointment to test drive a few models at my dealership. The night before as well as during the drive, it snowed, it sleeted and it froze. The Escape handeled as if it was high and dry. The I4 engine was comparable to a Six .The 4wd wouid not let me skid. All the toys are fun. I can not wait to go long distance. Even to my mother in law's. I will write again to update.

Great early christmas present
By Lisa on 12/30/08 12:30 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I love everything about this vehicle except the material they used for the seat covers looks very cheap. (so I will be getting some seat covers). Other than that is is wonderful.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape in NJ is:

$181 per month*