2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Hybrid fwd
By Stock on 03/09/09 08:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Our 2nd Hybrid; 1st was an 05 right out of the box (sr # 123) ; it was faultless. Our 09 is even better - worth the wait. More power in both engines w/no reduction in gas mileage.Transmission greatly improved over 05 cvt. Firmer footprint on road, best looking interior of any compact suv in the world. Steering much improved & less pitch over bumps. We had tire tread remaining after 66k on the 05 but the 09 tires are even better. Compare Mariner w/ livery package to Limited.

Good purchase
By Maggie on 03/04/09 07:22 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I tried several small SUVs and decided that the Escape was the best for me. Others had visability issus, headrest issues and even the ease of getting into the back seat. I travel from Santa Cruz to Lake Tahoe and have grandkids with me. I don't get the gas mileage that they say (26 highway) as I am only getting 22.7 at best and I am not a speed demon. Even driving alone I don't get the gas milage. So I may trade in sooner than I ever planned for another Escape. Others seem to be getting the better gas milage. I would also like to see the front seats maybe an inch or so longer in lengh. I am only 5'1 but it seems short even to me.

Limited
By David on 03/03/09 06:02 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Got a great deal, has all options and it cost me 28k, 5k less than expected. The navigation system and sync work very well, and if you get bored you can do voice recognition training so your car understands you better, though it's not neccessary. The ambient lights have several colors and are a nice touch. Suprisingly the performance is close to my 07 Fusion with the same engine. My only complaints are that the rear seats don't fold completely flat, and that the front seats are a little tough on the lower back, but then again I haven't really looked for the lumbar adjustment.

A US Vehicle Worth The Look
By rjtroodon on 03/02/09 11:42 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We love this vehicle. We purchased this vehicle because of the great deals and the need for a dependable winter tranport. We previously had a 2001 Tribute(an Escape twin)which we loved. The new Escape is noticably improved. The 6-speed automatic is smooth and accelerates nicely. The fuel economy is beyond my expectations (26 on the highway with our V6 AWD). Around suburbia, 21+ is easily feasible depending on how agressive drive. The handling is truck like but this is desired. Great in the snow which is in part why we have it. The lthr is improved & of good quality. This is an excellent option if you want to buy a quality product made in the USA at a good price.

Ford builds fun
By Ched on 02/26/09 19:47 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I had a 2005 Escape and traded it for a new 2009. These are two completely different SUV's. The new Escape seems bigger, heavier, smoother and easier to steer. However, mine "bucks" as it shifts through the gears. I brought it in and they said all is normal. That is the only downside to this vehicle. Once it is cruising, it is like driving a Cadillac. As much as I liked the other Escape, I like this one more. This is a fun vehicle to drive and turns heads. (Ditch the heated seats- they barely warm up.)

2 weeks old
By Michigan Guy on 02/19/09 17:16 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Great looking car, lots of room inside, very nice layout. Good steering/seating. Lots of nice electronics toys. Good on crappy roads for an SUV. Quality of build the center console hard to open (replaced already), little squeaks from the dashboard/radio area when cold. Found dirt under paint and was wet sanded out from dealer. That's the reason for the low scores.

Love, love, love it!
By JMS on 02/18/09 16:16 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd Escape. I have an 02 that was bought new also. I love the new features. I knew I wanted another Escape when we started thinking about getting a new vehicle. It is the perfect size for us! I am 5'2" and my husband is 6' & it fits us both. My daughter had outgrown her booster seat and the upgraded safety features such as rear shoulder strap on the center back seatbelt, side airbags, and the sensor that turns the front passenger airbag off if the passenger doesn't weigh enough on this model that were not on the 02 make it safer for her now that she doesn't have a carseat. I love the way it drives, so much smoother than the 02. There are too many improvements to mention them all.

Much Improved Over Older Ones
By David S. on 02/02/09 11:46 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I owned a 2001 Escape for eight years and liked it very much. This new 2009 is vastly improved over the originals. The ride is now quiet and smooth, the AWD is much better than the 4X4 I had, the computer controls the car in the Chicago area snows to where I can't really get it to spin the tires in the snow. The stability control system works as described. The Sync system is just wonderful and fun, kudos to Microsoft and Ford, it works flawlessly. It seems bigger, 450 pounds bigger and roomier, has 20 percent more horsepower, yet I'm getting about 20 percent better gas mileage. I believe Ford did a great job on this vehicle and I believe it to be a lot of quality vehicle for the money.

Love my Ford Escape
By Lee on 02/01/09 06:11 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Great vehicle, goes thru ice, unplowed snowy, slippery roads- very impressed at the way it handles. Living in upstate NY we get lots of all the above and I have not had any problems. Really bad weather is why I bought a 4 wheel drive-not disappointed. Lots of room front and back-even my big dog has a lot of room. Very comfortable to drive and I love being up higher. Gas mileage is only 18-19mpg-not what they said. Test drove every SUV out there and liked the Escape the best. Glad I got it.

Good but
By dave on 01/31/09 22:30 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Overall the Ford Escape is pretty good. It is comfortable to sit in and drive. It looks good and has handled well in the snow. The major issue I have with the car is that the gas pedal has a strange feel to it. It vibrates prior to shifting and does not feel solid. I'm debating taking it to the dealership to see if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape in VA is:

$104 per month*