2009 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2009 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

off to a good start
By escapism

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Have had it for a week now. So far it has exceeded expectations in some areas. After much research I found you really get alot for your money with the Escape. It rides good, has a very tough exterior look, and is loaded with features. Got the XLT w/ Sync, tow pkg and cargo pkg. I would not recommend the charcoal interior, carpet shows every little particle of dirt you have on your shoes. The Sync system is the most outstanding feature to be put in a car since air- conditioning. If you love your IPOD, spend the x-tra money for it, you won't regret it. MPG is 23-24 overall, 27-28 on interstate. That is hard to beat for a v-6 SUV that has lots of pep! Roomy interior for your family.

Favorite Features

Sync, MPG for a V-6, Styling, Smooth ride. Overall package is great!

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see a 2" hitch on tow pkg rather than 1-1/4". A grey interior available carpet rather than charcoal. Correct slight shimmy in the gas pedal when shifting in certain gears.

Love it!
By Heather

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd Escape XLT. I had a 2001, then upgraded to an Explorer, hated it. I have had my 2009 Escape for just over 3 weeks and I am in love with in! Ford has made great improvements! The wind noise while driving down the highway is barely noticeable. This is a solid car that rides great! The gas mileage is out standing! I got 27.5 mpg on the highway and average 25 around town. This car is fun to drive! Ford has gotten it right!

Favorite Features

Sync, moon roof, satellite radio.

Suggested Improvements

4 cyc. engine is a little loud, not too bad though.

so far so good
By mauijewels

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love having my new car. I had to turn in my honda accord leased car yesterday after already having my ford escape for a month, and I hated just driving the honda down to the dealership. it felt so foreign. the fuel started out at 16.7 mpg according to the computer on the car, and now I am at 20.2 mpg. i (along w/ my kids) love the ambiant lights, the leather (I am a vegetarian, and didnt want leather originally) I love the stereo, and the way the car drives.

Favorite Features

ambiant lighting, the usb drive hookup for lots of great tunes. love the comfort of the seats, the way the car handles and drives. i just love this car.

Suggested Improvements

a few new colors added to the list.

Go Escape!
By rockyford

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our Escape after evaluating seven other manufacturers/models in the same compact SUV class. It has been a great car, averaging 27 mpg. Runs like a top on cross-country trips, and easy to park in the city. Snow driving has been even and controlled for a vehicle of this small size and weight. Brakes and steering are very responsive. We purchased this car on the internet, MSRP 27300, but cost to us was only 22000. Best bang for the bucks.

Favorite Features

No blind spots on this car! Love the Sirius radio, and controls are easy to use while driving. Placement of the center console is low enough so we don't bump our elbows on it.

Suggested Improvements

Probably would make the hood a spring- up instead of the prop up with rod.

Very good car
By MArineCorpsAT

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second escape (we currrently have an 06 XLT as well). This car a a wonderful upgrade from previous models and I would recommend this car to anyone that is looking for a nice SUV.

Favorite Features

Sync is awesome, Power sunroof is a nice add on, 6 speed transmission is a nice improvement.

Suggested Improvements

None

Fun Car with great interior and engine
By Benji

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The 2009 Ford Escape is an outstanding value. The interior is spacious and well thought out, and the seats are comfortable. The buttons on the center console are pretty crowded. It's a good thing Sync is such a powerful tool, because navigating some of the audio menus during driving could be dangerously distracting. The V6 feels powerful and has great get up and go. Fuel economy is just as advertised at this point. In traffic-clogged downtown Madison, WI I'm getting 19 mpg. It's much more efficient on the highway however, as it edges towards the advertised 26 mpg. Sunroof is a particularly great addition in this car. Really opens up the car. Light interior also makes the car open up "bigger"

Favorite Features

Sync, Comfortable soybean-based seats, sunroof, powerful V6, Cargo Package (especially the built in trunk storage), MP3 player compatibility, arm rest console is big, well thought-out, and can be used in many different ways, MPG meter in center display is fun and helpful in conserving gas

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better yet, better quality materials for some of the door handles and door paneling, the trunk storage in the cargo pack would benefit hugely from a drainage hole so it could be used as a small cooler, smoother transitions between gears -- can feel it in the pedal just slightly

Return Customer
By Janz

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We used to buy Fords in the 80's and 90's but went away due to poor quality after 2000. Due to incentives and promises of quality from Ford, we decided to take a look again. We are very glad we did. We love our Escape and feel like we have one-upped everyone else since we found a jewel that most people overlook. We got 0% finance for 60mo, $500 rebate for college student, $1K below invoice, full retail for trade, and full 6/60 warranty + maintenance (oil changes) for only $1800. Our XLT ended up being $21K fully loaded, before trade and warranted included. You cannot beat these deals.

Favorite Features

Sync, interior design, drive quality FUN, room for 4 large adults.

Suggested Improvements

double sun visors (like explorer) for both driver and passenger.

New Experience
By Annie

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just started with new Escape. Was stunned at the huge interior when you put the back seat down. Great ride. Velvet clutch that takes a bit of getting used to. Many neat little extra features. A lot of electronics that will have to past the test of time, but all worked perfectly when we picked it up.

Favorite Features

Easy to adapt to. Many little surprise eatures that are standard and they all worked.

Suggested Improvements

Offer an option package without all the power equipment. Hate the electronic keying.

Good, not great
By Dan

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Not a bad vehicle for what it is. Not perfect though. Some nice improvements over the 08's with the extra HP, new transmission, and other minor tweaks. Getting about 23mpg mixed driving (30city/70highway mix). Nice looking inside and out for what it is. Still a lot of cheapness though with some of the plastics used. Even with the 240hp v6, still not impressed with everyday driving power. Still feels like an overburdened 4cyl unless you really get on it. Transmission has trouble finding the right gear a lot of times, particularly at lower speeds. Has the potential to be very quiet but excessive wind noise comes noticeably from side windows and rear hatch. This isnt a lexus after all though.

Favorite Features

Ground clearance, Sync, good MPG for what it is. Styling inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

You can tell the cabin is well insulated from noise, but the excessive wind noise from front windows and hatch ruin it. Such pin pointed sources of noise is annoying. The chrome ring around the shifter reflects the sun into your face during the day. Improve shift logic in transmission.

My experience
By Spike

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I researched all the mid suv's and narrowed it down to the Hoda Crv and Escape. I actually made up my mind on the Crv. I drove quite a few of them and gave Ford another look. The Escape drives a lot smother, the Crv was bumpy, had less leg room, noisey 4 cylinder, and the styling was sort of ugly. My Escape is loaded, the stereo is 320 wts. Leather is very comfortable, steering great, ride quiet, got the 17" wheels, so handling is sports car like, shifts very smooth, so far I love the Escape. I hope it's as reliable as the Honda. Every time I pass a Crv I say to myself, glad I didn't buy one. Get the locking lugs for the expensive mags and cargo mat. I got the 4 cyl. for mileage.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, elec. steering, leather, audiofile stereo, looks, ride, handling, 17" wheels, comfort, quiet ride, and back up alarm. Bluetooth is very handy and works well. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping wheel, cargo net, not getting the estimated mileage, I get 20 city, 23 highway.