Used 2009 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

we like it!
By Biffle Fan

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the Escape as a daily driver. The AWD was a must for the winters here. Very practical for my wife and I and our 5yr old daughter. Seats are comfortable. The revised V6 is great. Runs strong. Gas mileage hovers in the 23.5 range with 70%/30% mix of rural 2 lane highway/city driving every week. Very nimble to drive. Was plenty comfoirtable for us on a 600 mile trip to the beach.

Favorite Features

V6 engine, SYNC, cargo area roomy for size of vehicle. Somewhat truck-like styling is way cooler than competitors which look like small station wagons on steroids!

Suggested Improvements

Stretch the wheelbase some for more back seat room. Revise back seats so head rest doesn't have to be removed to fold seats. Some softer touch plastic on interior door panels.

Fantistic SUV - Perfect Size for Me
By Matt H

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After a 4-year break from having a SUV (Had an '01 Explorer Sport), I am so happy to have purchased this vehicle. The size is perfect - not too big so parking is a breeze (plus the reverse sensor helps), but big enough to haul my bicycles and dog in the back. On a 1200 mile roundtrip of mostly highway driving, I averaged 26 mph, which I confirmed against my gas consumption and the miles driven. The sync system is like none other as is the navigation. It's a very addictive machine - great job Ford!

Favorite Features

Sync system, auto headlight, navigation, reverse sensor, sun/moon roof, key pad entry (can keep the keys in the car while I go running).

Suggested Improvements

Would like extra lumbar support, daytime running lights, internal radio antenna.

Bad start with Ford
By YB

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is the first Ford vehicle I buy and I am very disappointed with the build quality. First 2 weeks and there is already a welding spot inside the left rear end that causing a constant ratlle sound upon departure. The dealer fixed it but it left me with a very sour taste about Ford quality. Especially because I had driven only in city roads and not off-road. Now I noticed the sound that many forums people have experienced. I really wonder what is next...

Favorite Features

Everything (I got the Limited 4CYL AWD) . Very nice interior and functionalities.

Suggested Improvements

Leather seats could have a better quality. The leather looks a bit ,

Beware -Think...Read before your buy
By BEWARE

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have problem after problem with the SUV. Really thinking about public transportation. Clicking in the wheels, shifting is horrible, transmission seal leaked and this is in the first 3 months of me own the vehicle. The good reviews must be from the dealerships. Think and research before you make this purchase.

Favorite Features

To tell you the truth the only thing I like about this SUV is the bluetooth.

My Rolling Stones Escape purchase
By dave524

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

It's not exactly what I wanted, but the more I drive it the more I think it's what I need. I wanted a Ford Edge but the price wasn't right. So I test drove the Escape and looked at the mpg rating and figured it might be what I need. It's fun to drive, almost like a car. It's real nimble. The acceleration isn't that great but once the 6 speed auto transmission gets you up to 40 mph, it takes off. But the main thing for me is the fuel economy. My last truck was a gas guzzler, so it's nice to not have to pay frequent visits to the gas station. The true test will be seeing how it deals with Chicago winters.

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy Nimble Steering Nice Sound System

Suggested Improvements

Any improvements will jack up the price.