2009 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
A good fit for me
By michiganphil on 02/22/14 13:25 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned two 2009 4 cyl FWD Limited Escapes, traded one at 41K miles, last month, and still own another with 43K miles. The only issues I have had with the vehicles is with the Fan motor, in which a resister went bad. Otherwise, I have had no issues with either vehicle. The vehicles offered me the features I wanted, with few I did not want. The acceleration, handling, braking were good enough for me. I was impressed with the gas mileages, I topped 32 MPG, door to door, with both vehicles on long trips, a number of times.

Love it...sometimes
By ttescape09 on 02/02/14 08:58 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car used, and after owning it for 1 1/2 years I still love it. However it has had some pricey problems. I bought the car and I thought it needed a blend door motor on the passenger side (~$900) I replaced it and turns out it was a HVAC module (this was free after a letter to the owner of the Ford dealership because they misdiagnosed it the first time). I now have intermittent power steering (~$1500 to fix) This is my biggest issue because it appears to be a safety issue. So if you buy this car beware and have that money ready! Also paint is starting to chip off the top of the liftgate for no apparent reason (only 12 inches is covered by paint anymore)

American Quality?
By Jeff H on 07/20/10 16:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought American to support my country and UAW after years of Asian vehicles. Engine runs/idles louder/rougher than comparable imports and SUV has been into dealer 3 times for over 3 weeks. Mysterious clunking in rear (Ford engineer called in), leaky transmission, transmission shifting problems (recall to reprogram control module solved them). Overall, I like the vehicle but have been a little disappointed with the overall quality and experience of owning it. Certainly makes me question the contention that domestic vehicles are equal to and exceeding imports. And, it seems like every other car on the road is an Escape!

Love our Ford!
By Anthony on 04/22/10 18:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Vehicle has been GREAT...it's my wife's car but I love driving it as well. I don't know what Escape Edmond's was driving, but the brakes on this Escape are AWESOME. We love the SYNC package as well as the satellite radio. Fit and finish are second to none. High revving 4 cylinder gets great mileage and has good power. Ford has been doing one hell of a job. Highly recommended. We test drove a Chevy Equinox (Government Motors, I know, please forgive me)and it was a typical GM...poor fit/finish, lots of cheap plastic, etc...even with GM's rebates, we said no way.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Roy C on 08/09/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have purchased Chrysler products for years, most recently a 300 C. I'm so glad I switched to Ford. I had a 2009 Flex AWD Limited that I loved, but due to the uncertainty of the economy, I took a proactive approach and "down sized" my ride. I was so impressed with the quality of the Flex, I stayed with Ford and went with the more economical Escape Limited. What a pleasant surprise...I bought it from a dealer that was 75 miles from my home and on the way home it was already averaging 28.5 mpg! The ride and handling are good, the engine is more responsive and the radio is better than I expected. It's not the Flex by any means...but @ $14,000 less it's a great car.

Caution!
By Caution! on 07/17/09 13:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchashed this brand new 2009 Ford Escape Limited Edition 4WD about a month ago. I drove this vehicle off the lot with 100 miles and a bad drivers door seal that leaked and you can hear air whisping by. It didnt worry me much because the waranty would cover the repair. It was taken to the shop the next week and I picked it up four days later. The problem was still not fixed. The next day the check engine light came on. I took it back to the shop they said that the fuel cap seal was not working properly. I took it right bck to the dealership and returned it with 500 miles on it.Ford should have put more time into testing this vehicle before letting it out for consumers to purchase.

traded within three months
By erb on 07/16/09 13:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

A week after I drove it off the lot, I noted the steering wheel vibrated quite a bit while idling at red lights. Once it got hot and I started running the A/C, the vibration spread to the entire dash. My passengers could feel it. It was getting worse and the dealer said all the V4's did it, and they wouldn't do anything to fix it. "The car operates in the manner in which it was designed" was what the service reps and all the Ford reps said. Eventually the vibration got so bad that the antenna on the passenger side OUTSIDE the car would vibrate with the inside of the car. Ford said that was normal. I gave up and traded it in for a Mazda.

Deja Vu all over again
By Mac Webster on 05/25/09 08:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought a 2005 AWD Limited and turned 100,000 miles on it. New car deals are so good now that we traded it in for the 2009, and the new version is so much better! Better looking, smoother driving, and the perks are all very cool. Have a hard time understanding how Edmunds calls this SUV "adequate" but owners have rated it much closer to the truth. Went to FWD and 4 cyl this time and getting 27 mpg on the road. We have a 6 year old black lab so we get the dark interior and we love the way the rear seats fold flush to the back of the front seats - Max loves to lay with his head on the headrest between us so many other fold-down rear seats just didn't work for us. The best little SUV made!

Perfect Pick
By Pete on 03/10/09 01:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My new car purchase was a reat experience. I enjoyed every bit of the process thanks to my salesperson. I own an 09 limited 2wd..everybody falls in love with the interior. it is very stylish and sexy.

Hybrid fwd
By Stock on 03/09/09 08:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Our 2nd Hybrid; 1st was an 05 right out of the box (sr # 123) ; it was faultless. Our 09 is even better - worth the wait. More power in both engines w/no reduction in gas mileage.Transmission greatly improved over 05 cvt. Firmer footprint on road, best looking interior of any compact suv in the world. Steering much improved & less pitch over bumps. We had tire tread remaining after 66k on the 05 but the 09 tires are even better. Compare Mariner w/ livery package to Limited.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape Suv in VA is:

$116 per month*