Used 2009 Ford Escape Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

A good fit for me
By michiganphil

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned two 2009 4 cyl FWD Limited Escapes, traded one at 41K miles, last month, and still own another with 43K miles. The only issues I have had with the vehicles is with the Fan motor, in which a resister went bad. Otherwise, I have had no issues with either vehicle. The vehicles offered me the features I wanted, with few I did not want. The acceleration, handling, braking were good enough for me. I was impressed with the gas mileages, I topped 32 MPG, door to door, with both vehicles on long trips, a number of times.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The Drum brakes in the rear are a concern to me, though I have not noticed any issues with normal braking. I would have paid the extra for disc brakes, given the choice.

Love it...sometimes
By ttescape09

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car used, and after owning it for 1 1/2 years I still love it. However it has had some pricey problems. I bought the car and I thought it needed a blend door motor on the passenger side (~$900) I replaced it and turns out it was a HVAC module (this was free after a letter to the owner of the Ford dealership because they misdiagnosed it the first time). I now have intermittent power steering (~$1500 to fix) This is my biggest issue because it appears to be a safety issue. So if you buy this car beware and have that money ready! Also paint is starting to chip off the top of the liftgate for no apparent reason (only 12 inches is covered by paint anymore)

Favorite Features

I love the leather interior, heated seats, moonroof, ambient lighting, satellite radio, bigger than my saturn was

Suggested Improvements

The steering problem is a common issue and can be dangerous since it is intermittent. If I had the money to fix it I would, but i think Ford needs to issue a recall.

American Quality?
By Jeff H

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought American to support my country and UAW after years of Asian vehicles. Engine runs/idles louder/rougher than comparable imports and SUV has been into dealer 3 times for over 3 weeks. Mysterious clunking in rear (Ford engineer called in), leaky transmission, transmission shifting problems (recall to reprogram control module solved them). Overall, I like the vehicle but have been a little disappointed with the overall quality and experience of owning it. Certainly makes me question the contention that domestic vehicles are equal to and exceeding imports. And, it seems like every other car on the road is an Escape!

Favorite Features

Fairly roomy and comfortable, decent gas mileage (24-25 mpg combined), 170 HP is more than adequate, full chrome grill (on Limited), chrome spoke wheels look nice, wet trunk storage, backup warning beeper.

Suggested Improvements

Microsoft SYNC works correctly maybe 60% of the time is not as great as it's made out to be. Quieter engine, little less jarring ride over uneven pavement. Need to remove rear headrests to fold down back seat a little inconvenient. Escapes are being discontinued after next year.

Love our Ford!
By Anthony

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Vehicle has been GREAT...it's my wife's car but I love driving it as well. I don't know what Escape Edmond's was driving, but the brakes on this Escape are AWESOME. We love the SYNC package as well as the satellite radio. Fit and finish are second to none. High revving 4 cylinder gets great mileage and has good power. Ford has been doing one hell of a job. Highly recommended. We test drove a Chevy Equinox (Government Motors, I know, please forgive me)and it was a typical GM...poor fit/finish, lots of cheap plastic, etc...even with GM's rebates, we said no way.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Roy C

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have purchased Chrysler products for years, most recently a 300 C. I'm so glad I switched to Ford. I had a 2009 Flex AWD Limited that I loved, but due to the uncertainty of the economy, I took a proactive approach and "down sized" my ride. I was so impressed with the quality of the Flex, I stayed with Ford and went with the more economical Escape Limited. What a pleasant surprise...I bought it from a dealer that was 75 miles from my home and on the way home it was already averaging 28.5 mpg! The ride and handling are good, the engine is more responsive and the radio is better than I expected. It's not the Flex by any means...but @ $14,000 less it's a great car.

Favorite Features

Sync, handling, keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. For the money you can't go wrong.