2009 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
A good fit for me
By michiganphil on 02/22/14 13:25 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned two 2009 4 cyl FWD Limited Escapes, traded one at 41K miles, last month, and still own another with 43K miles. The only issues I have had with the vehicles is with the Fan motor, in which a resister went bad. Otherwise, I have had no issues with either vehicle. The vehicles offered me the features I wanted, with few I did not want. The acceleration, handling, braking were good enough for me. I was impressed with the gas mileages, I topped 32 MPG, door to door, with both vehicles on long trips, a number of times.

Love it...sometimes
By ttescape09 on 02/02/14 08:58 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car used, and after owning it for 1 1/2 years I still love it. However it has had some pricey problems. I bought the car and I thought it needed a blend door motor on the passenger side (~$900) I replaced it and turns out it was a HVAC module (this was free after a letter to the owner of the Ford dealership because they misdiagnosed it the first time). I now have intermittent power steering (~$1500 to fix) This is my biggest issue because it appears to be a safety issue. So if you buy this car beware and have that money ready! Also paint is starting to chip off the top of the liftgate for no apparent reason (only 12 inches is covered by paint anymore)

Too many breakdowns!
By nthernlgts on 03/30/13 17:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle new in the summer of 2009. About a month later the Transmission failed. It took a month and a half to repair because of back ordered parts. After the rebuild, the shift pattern was messed up and had to go back for reprogramming. This was all within 15,000 miles and covered by warranty. After warranty, the a/c condenser failed. $900 there. Then the power steering unit failed. This isn't a standard power steering unit either. In other words, $1400 more. I've also had some sort of an mid shaft axle support bearing fail. $400 more. All in all, I have put nearly $3000 in repairs into a 3-1/2 year old vehicle. Way too many mechanical failures. I'm done with Escapes

Comfortable fun, but........
By thvillebear on 10/11/12 23:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the 2009 Escape as a replacement for our 1998 F150 that was super reliable. The Escape is comfortable and the V6 is powerful and economical delivering about 22 in mixed driving. However quality leaves much to be desired, the transmission started leaking right before the warranty expired and was fixed under warranty. The throttle body failed at 44000, costing 400 to replace I might mention out of all the cars I have owned I have never ever had a throttle body fail! I really question our decision to buy the Escape and curious as to what other problems will surface, I will be hesitant to buy another Ford.

Looks Great and Very Reliable!
By russter on 03/01/12 06:57 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My 09 Escape has far exceeded what I expected. Unlike the review, this is a very reliable SUV, no problems at all through 50K+ miles, good pickup when I need it, average 22 to 23 MPG, (actually tracked via receipts) despite pulling a trailer quite often. Had a front and rear end wreck, not my fault, the car behind was totalled, the truck in front was damaged, my Escape got new bumpers and lights and some body work! It's quiet inside, unlike my just traded in Honda Pilot. Engine has a perfect sound when you floor it otherwise, it has a understated gentle purr that I like. The 2nd. row is much easier to fold down than Edmunds would have you believe, and, it's made in K.C., MO, USA!

Greatest vehicle made!!
By fordguy54 on 12/18/11 12:32 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

excellent ride, very powerfull, looks sporty! this is a great vehicle made by ford! dont let the transmision problems scare you away from this great vehicle. ive had mine since new and have never had a single problem with it! ive checked into it also, and if you have a problem with your tranny more then likely it will be covered under factory warranty(not sure why people are complaining). dont waste your time with a chevy equinox, dodge nitro, or toyota rav4. this vehicle is the nicest for the money. and the most powerful as well. i had a 2010 didge nitro and traded it for this 2009 ford escape. gas mileage is awesome. if u wanna have problems buy a dodge nitro.

Transmission Problem
By smishra on 12/15/11 12:43 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I was fine it till the transmission died at 36200 miles. Fortunately I had bought extended warranty. I fixed it at the dealer and it still giving me troubles. I still see sudden gear change at low speeds. Do not know how much time this fixing will last, but I am always scared to take my family on a drive on this one. So Pros: 1. Ample of cargo space 2. Feels sturdy 3. Nice seats 4. Very fule efficient 5. Love the SYNC, I hooked up an external hard drive to this. It recongnizes and plays all my music. Cons: 1. Unreliable transmission 2. Interior is not nice - pretty cheap plastic 3. Very noisy - I reckon being an I4 engine it will be noisy, but it is a litle too much.

My Escape is no acception to the reviews
By catmandoo712 on 08/31/11 06:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I read on the internet that the 2009 Ford Escape 6 speed trans has problems.I thought that this is not going to happen to the vehicle I purchase.Well much to my surprise I had to have trans work on my vehicle at 29000 miles.Very slow shifting from reverse to drive.Now I noticed that it has a ticking sound like a vehicle with bad lifters in an old car.The dealer does not seem to hear it ,I must be hullucinating.Loud exhaust and a growling sound when driving uphill.Got rid of a 11 yr old Chevy Tacker and it was a much quieter than this 2 yr old vehicle.

2009 Escape Limited a problem
By steve_r2 on 04/17/11 13:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Since taking ownership of this vehicle and 50,000 miles later this Ford Escape has over 12,000 dollars of repairs and that includes labor. Three and a half transmission and a rebuild motor within the first 40,000 miles. Overall I like the vheicle but I've lost confidence in Ford motor company. I bought this vehicle to support the american auto industry and Ford because they refused Obama hand out. I continues to have problem on a mouthly basis. Who wants a lemon?

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By jolietjake on 03/30/11 10:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My 2009 Ford Escape has been plagued with transmission issues for a year and a half now. I experience shift flares, hard and harsh shifting, and even times when it can't shift out of first gear. It will also frequently slam into gear when going from P to D or R, causing the entire car to shack violently until banging into gear. After the TSB updates, i get much worse gas milage and the tranny issues have increased. Now i get hesitation in acceleration when coasting or yielding and pressing the accelerator. It's extremely dangerous when making a left hand turn and the car is unresponsive for a few seconds. I have almost had 5 accidents due to this. This car is extremely unsafe.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape Suv in VA is:

$104 per month*