Used 2009 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Excellent
By pete162

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had since new, very reliable , cheap to maintain, fuel sipper with plenty of power with the I4 2.5 liter engine. Always hand washed and waxed,it looks almost as good as the day we drove it off the lot.

Sync, Sirius, Polished Chrome 17" wheels

Awesome little SUV
By tugboat95

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love this truck! I bought this with 33k miles to replace a Durango I could no longer afford to feed. It was an adjustment to go that small. I chose the Escape because it had the most interior room of the small SUV's. I'm 6'5 and I sit comfortably in it for an 8 hour drive twice a month. I have the XLT V-6. I get 28mpg round trip on that drive and I see 33 in certain spots where I behave with the throttle. It now has 75k miles on it and the only thing I have touched is the oil and transmission fluid and a new set of tires. Most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. And it pulls a 3050lbs RV and gets 12mpg doing it. I've been offroading in WV with it and even just 2wd, it holds its own.

Love the SYNC system. Easy to drive and park. handles well on the highway. Really good on gas and when you punch it the throttle responds very well. First gear has some power to get going and take off. 4-6 gears have good response on the highway. Adaptive transmission takes about 30 miles to learn it has an RV behind it and makes required adjustments and changes shift points. Very surprised at how easily it tows my 3000lbs camper. But 3500lbs is the max and the engine is working really hard but she handles it like a champ.

Overall the ride is pretty good, but when its loaded with cargo or a trailer the ride gets a little bouncy. Not sure how this can be improved on such a short wheelbase. Its not bad, but like all 6'5" guys a little more legroom is always nice. I fit,but just barely.

A good fit for me
By michiganphil

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned two 2009 4 cyl FWD Limited Escapes, traded one at 41K miles, last month, and still own another with 43K miles. The only issues I have had with the vehicles is with the Fan motor, in which a resister went bad. Otherwise, I have had no issues with either vehicle. The vehicles offered me the features I wanted, with few I did not want. The acceleration, handling, braking were good enough for me. I was impressed with the gas mileages, I topped 32 MPG, door to door, with both vehicles on long trips, a number of times.

The gas mileage.

The Drum brakes in the rear are a concern to me, though I have not noticed any issues with normal braking. I would have paid the extra for disc brakes, given the choice.

Love it...sometimes
By ttescape09

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car used, and after owning it for 1 1/2 years I still love it. However it has had some pricey problems. I bought the car and I thought it needed a blend door motor on the passenger side (~$900) I replaced it and turns out it was a HVAC module (this was free after a letter to the owner of the Ford dealership because they misdiagnosed it the first time). I now have intermittent power steering (~$1500 to fix) This is my biggest issue because it appears to be a safety issue. So if you buy this car beware and have that money ready! Also paint is starting to chip off the top of the liftgate for no apparent reason (only 12 inches is covered by paint anymore)

I love the leather interior, heated seats, moonroof, ambient lighting, satellite radio, bigger than my saturn was

The steering problem is a common issue and can be dangerous since it is intermittent. If I had the money to fix it I would, but i think Ford needs to issue a recall.

Too many breakdowns!
By nthernlgts

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle new in the summer of 2009. About a month later the Transmission failed. It took a month and a half to repair because of back ordered parts. After the rebuild, the shift pattern was messed up and had to go back for reprogramming. This was all within 15,000 miles and covered by warranty. After warranty, the a/c condenser failed. $900 there. Then the power steering unit failed. This isn't a standard power steering unit either. In other words, $1400 more. I've also had some sort of an mid shaft axle support bearing fail. $400 more. All in all, I have put nearly $3000 in repairs into a 3-1/2 year old vehicle. Way too many mechanical failures. I'm done with Escapes

Sync system is great, USB access, large sunroof.

Get a better Tranny and power steering unit.... PLEASE.