2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Satisfied 1.5 Years Later
By Ray on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in July 2009, drove 1000 miles to break-in before a trip from Pittsburgh to Oregon. Very comfortable ride for 2 people over a week and a half. Highway gas mileage was 28-32 mpg. Still average 25-30 mpg with my rural driving. Would have liked AWD with a manual tranny, but the one time I drove on an untreated, snow-covered road (~1") the FWD did fine with factory tires. Also glad I went with the stick once I heard stories about the 6-speed auto. No problems with my vehicle 17,000 miles, 1.5 years later. Rides well, though the body pitches up/down excessively when applying power or braking (making smooth uphill stops/starts difficult).

Second vehicle for work
By Randy on 11/18/09 20:29 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted something like a station wagon, that I did not have to step down into, and did not want all wheel drive. So far the vehicle has performed well, achieving 30 miles to the Cdn. gallon city, and 40 Cdn. Hwy. Five spd a little tricky at first,a taller 5th gear would be appreciated (2500 Rpm at 60 mph). Clutch is a tad heavy, black interior hard to keep clean. Growls during acceleration but quiets down. Some wind noise at hwy speeds or cross winds.I wish they would seal the seams on the body work like Toyota does to prevent salt accumulation. Wife loves it.

Dont't buy it
By RHShaffer on 10/25/09 16:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first and last ford. I wanted to buy an American made car and unfortunately I made a huge mistake. I travel for my work and need a reliable comfortable, roomy and efficient vehicle. I bought my 2009 ford escape in July and now its October and the vehicle has 14,500 miles on it and is broke down 400 miles away from where I live. I live in Birmingham and my transmission went out in Natchez MS and the car is still there. Not only is the vehicle not reliable but ford fought with me on honoring the warranty on the faulty car they sold me! I am disgusted with the way they've handled my situation and will NEVER buy another ford. I would NOT RECOMMEND anyone to buy an Escape or a ford

Best for the money
By Babydog on 06/16/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 09 with the 2.5 and 5 speed manual. I wanted the lowest price and the 6 speed auto is new. I wanted proven reliability and the 5 speed manual shifts very smooth. Good performance and gas mileage combination with the modern 171 horsepower engine and manual transmission. Has an excellent ride and comfortable seats. Nice on the highway and a good handling city car, too. Fun to drive and fun to sit up high. Safer than earlier models. I have the red metallic. Looks great with legal color tinted windows side and rear. Lots of cargo room with the seats down. Has the updates of a Suv from Japan and feels just as good with a lower price.

Great Buy
By Brenda Jolly on 06/10/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this in April of '09 and waited to write this review, because I wanted to see if my delight in this car would hold--it has. So far, I've gotten 26 mpg's but it's still adjusting. I saw where Edmunds said getting the rear seat down was difficult -not so- lift a handle and down it folds. I'm loving the Siris radio that comes free for 6 months. I will subscribe when it runs out. The fit of the car is great. My husband loves it too. I bought this car because when I researched cars on Edmnds, the people who had bought this car gave it such high marks. They were right. No complaints at all.

I like it
By edm on 05/26/09 18:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced my old F150 with this. I was surprised at how smooth it drives. The clutch does take some getting used to. Been getting 29.5 mpg on highway. Goes up the mountain roads pretty good. Full coverage insurance was cheap, so must be safe? I've only driven it about 1500 miles but everything works great.

New Experience
By Annie on 04/16/09 19:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just started with new Escape. Was stunned at the huge interior when you put the back seat down. Great ride. Velvet clutch that takes a bit of getting used to. Many neat little extra features. A lot of electronics that will have to past the test of time, but all worked perfectly when we picked it up.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape in WA is:

$132 per month*