Transmission cooler
By jackdk on
2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)
After doing tons of research on line about the trans cooler defect, I see this has happened to 100's if not 1000's of people that owned 2008 Escapes. I was told Ford did do some repairs on these cars that where built early 2008, and that the CSP (Customer Satisfaction Program) expired in August 2010. My Escape was built in Sept. 2007, which should have covered it. Ford sent a CSP #09B10 to owners for a replacement because of the know defect to the cooler. Since I didn't not own the vehicle until November 2010, I had no idea of the problem, and since the original owner never took it in, I have to pay the price. Called Ford Customer Care, and both them, and the Ford dealer acknowledge the defect, but would not cover it. Since there is no recall, and the CSP is over, I had to pay $644.41 out of my pocket. This is ridicules I am paying for a defect that Ford knows about. They both told me to hold on to my receipt in case there is a recall I can get reimbursed I think this is the last Ford I will own.... Ford's GREAT idea of making the transmission cooler, and the A/C condenser all one piece. This adds a big price for the part. When your cooler needs changed the A/C Freon needs to be emptied, then fill again, which adds to the labor cost. Good thinking Ford! Even though this is connected to the drive train, and keeps your transmission from failing, its not a drive train part, and not cover cause its not internal. ...
Suggested Improvements
Hopefully Ford does the right thing, and reimburses the customer for the mistake THEY made in the construction of the transmission cooler.
By butterfly31
on 12/05/13 16:28 PM (PST)

i forgot to mention the only good thing is that with the trans cooler built in the extended waranty will cover the AC just not the cooler so i was able to get most of it fixed on the insurance dime after my deductable

By butterfly31
on 12/05/13 16:27 PM (PST)

I just purchased my escape in july and have the same issue. I am not the original owner and just a week after buying mine i needed the moter replaced. had it back a few weeks and this is leaking. It going to cost 800 for total repair and replacement. I think its crazy they know about this and are not willing to fix it or recall it. absoulutly insane. I really thought i wanted one of these trucks and looked for one for the longest time. Its been one hassle after another.