2008 Ford Escape Consumer Review: First AND Last Ford

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Review

XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

First AND Last Ford
By onthehwy on

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first in last Ford. In the three years that I have had this SUV, the air vent fell off, the front window squeaks when let down (it was supposedly fixed), had 3 new batteries, a transmission cooler, and now my transmission has gone bad. I'm sorry but all this should NOT happen within 3 years of owning a new car. I'm going back to Toyota!

the interior design

Fix all transmission problems.
By colero1
on 04/21/11 22:19 PM (PDT)

I too bought a brand new Ford Escape in 2008. Big mistake tranny cooling leak and a failed transmission. I am still paying on the ridiculous vehicle ugh Never again will I own a Ford

By winters87
on 08/30/11 20:41 PM (PDT)

There is a recall on the Tranny & tranny cooler, causing them both to leak & fail. I found this out after weeks of arguing with the dealership, my tranny & tranny cooler went out at 40k miles. if yours is covered under the recall, you may be able to get reimbursed - as long as you have your reciept/invoice where you got the work done (this was told to me by a ford service manager in my area)

By jleclerc
on 10/23/12 16:40 PM (PDT)

I concur with winters87 - my transmission cooler went at 40K as well. I was livid that I had to pay $900 for this, so I sent a letter to the State Attorney General in Maine to complain after seeing numerous other stories about the same problem. I got reimbursed 5 months later once the recall went out. My problem now is that at 99,850 miles my catalytic converter is starting to break. I sure as heck am not paying the $1650 they estimate at the dealership, and I may persue suing my extended warranty provider since this is the second time they have no covered a "dual use part" even though the converter is supposed to be covered in my contract. Worse comes to worse I'll be picking up a used one at the junk yard and taking a weekend with my dad learning how to replace it. Oh - so on your topic of the 2008 Ford Escape - for what it is, and what I paid - I love it. Just broke 100,000 miles. This car has done the deep back woods of Maine, Colorado, and Nevada, been across the country, and it has towed a boat and a large trailer both times without a complaint. It does well in the snow, it has good visibility, and it holds everything I need it to. The mpg's aren't what was promised but I find they rarely are with my driving style. Ask me again in another 50K and we'll see if I still think I'm getting my money's worth.