Accelerator cable broke while driving!
By disappointed58 on
2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
I had a very disturbing incident happen with my 2008 Escape today that still has me shaken up! My accelerator completely broke while merging into traffic on the highway! The gas pedal fell to the floor and the car wouldn't accelerate. I had 10 seconds to figure out what was going on, quickly applied my brakes and landed in the median, with 2 lanes of hwy traffic going 70 MPH next to me. When my car was towed to the dealership, they informed me that the accelerator cable broke and I would owe $240. I was so upset and called the Cust. Serv. Dept and they did nothing! I could have been hit by a tractor trailer with my kids in the car and FORD DID NOTHING! I'm so furious and scared to drive it!
Favorite Features
I wanted an Escape for so long, bought one in 2008 and have been completed disappointed since then. I have had it for less than 4 years and the cloth seats are now terrribly stained from the rain, my back window leaks, my interior seat bolts are rusting, the windshield seal is lifting away from the window, the gas tank won't accept gas without stopping 20 times, and now the accelerator cable broke while driving which makes me livid that no one at Ford seems to really care that I could have been hit from behind by a tractor trailer going 70 MPH because I couldn't accelerate to get out of the way. I thank God for my angels today and that I somehow managed to escape a potential fatality.
Suggested Improvements
Make a safe, reliable, quality car for the amount of money you're selling them for! Improve your Customer Service! If I call crying hysterically because my family and I could have been killed because your accelerator cable broke on my car, have some sympathy and try to retify the situation, not charge me $240 because I didn't die. No one wanted to help me or seemed to care! I wanted to help Ford out when they were having problems, so I bought your car! Why would you put me in danger and not rectify the situation? Ford, I'm so upset today with your company. I don't want this car, nor will ever buy another one of your vehicles again. I am truly furious with how you handled this scary situation
By paperfrog
on 09/30/14 08:01 AM (PDT)

If this is how upset you get at a broken accelerator cable I'd hate to see how you react to a flat tire. It really isn't a big deal; you lose acceleration, you realize it, you let off the gas, you put your hazards on, and you stop and wait for a tow. The same thing happened to me (not in an Escape), and I really thought nothing of it. You're acting like the engine blew up and spit oil all over your windshield and then your tires caught on fire and blew out and sent you all over the road.