Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Very useful little suv
By Bob

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 42,000 miles and no problems except for the trans leak recall. I do mixed driving and average 21 mpg with the 3 liter v/6. Twice a year I tow about 3000 lbs of boat, and trailor. The 3500 lbs tow rating is maxed. The newer 3.5 v/6 may tow better, due to more power. I do like the vehicle.

Favorite Features

good stereo, folding rear seats make for plenty of room. Heat and ac are very good. This is a nice little and very useful SUV.

Suggested Improvements

More power for better acceleration with or without a trailer being towed.

Do not buy
By marvnjenn

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

You know I am American and always felt the need to buy an American car. Well this is one of the worst cars I have owned. I noticed after my warranty ran out that the paint on the trim in the wheel wells chipped and was rusting. The dealership told me it was from rocks hitting my car. I looked on their lot and there where 4 of the same trucks with the same issue. All of the 2008 are rusting and I will NEVER but American again. I have had other issues but if you are still under warranty check for rusting and they will fix it otherwise you are out of luck. Mariners owners this goes for you as well.

Favorite Features

You know I can not say anything nice about this SUV

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that auto retailers recall something if it is wrong instead of upsetting your customer. I will not even allow my children or Grand children own an American car again. Thanks Ford this was the last straw.

Love the car, hate the realiability!
By flnycus

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great car to drive, fun, like the comfort, the seats, easy to get around NYC in. However, it has been in the dealer far too many times. 1. Vibrating/Noise from the rear when breaking, in to dealer 3 times, still not fixed. 2. Electric mirror went out. 3. Transmission fluid leaked. 4. Transmission slipped/broken only 35k miles. 5. Paint peeling off car revealing gray undercoat in 2 places at 35k miles. 6. Trim paint flaked off doors 3 times. Maybe we got a lemon, but i would buy it again if it was reliable, but with kids i depend on the vehicle and i need it with me not at the dealer!

Favorite Features

leather Seats, console, mpg

Suggested Improvements

Reliability!

2008 Escape
By gcedmondson

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Dealership was great to deal with. I loved driving this vehicle through the winter. It went through the snow wonderfully. I never had to wonder if I would be able to get round. I would recommend if you own an 2008 to be sure to do the recent March 2010 recall for the Transmission fluid cooler. I took mine in to be fix only to find out that I was miles away from ruining my Escape.

Favorite Features

The SUV just has an ease of use. Meaning that getting in and out. Using the back door and utilities are easy.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have a pop button for the whole rear door not just the window part. More stain resistant cloth for the seats and interior would be a great improvement. A quieter cab, there is quite a bit of road noise.

2008 Ford Escape Overall good
By stephani555

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

How come this is the only web site that shows the recall information for the 2008 ford Transmission Fluid cooler in your vehicle may develop a crack and leak transmission fluid. If not repaired, this leak may result in rough/harsh shifting and potential damage to the transmission." "FMC has authorized your dealer to perform the repairs under this program on your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). The Program will be in effect until August 31, 2010 regardless of mileage.

Favorite Features

I like my ford escape haven't had many issues.

Suggested Improvements

Do not like cloth seats, horrible & stain easily. Need to post recall notice I received from the dealership on web sites -Transmission Fluid cooler in your vehicle may develop a crack and leak transmission fluid. Not sure why vehicle shows no recalls?