2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Ford Escape Transmisson Cooler
By JNBXU on 10/27/09 11:17 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Love the car, ride, interior and exterior.

Bad Tranny Coolers in '08 Escapes
By b.bergman on 10/21/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just had my Escape repaired yesterday for Bad Tranny Cooler from the dealer that I purchased it from. No questions asked, they fixed at no cost stating it was under warranty. No complains on this end.

Transmission condensor failure
By Randy Brandeberry on 10/19/09 08:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Leaking transmission fluid at 56,000 miles. Dealer found failure in transmission condensor. Internet search found many people having this failure with 08 Escape. Dealer says Ford will not cover this under powertrain warranty but the dealer will use Customer Loyalty Program to cut repair cost to $100. Typical American car manufactured, spend millions to advertise and tell us how good their product is and then find a way to weasle out of fully covering warranty work. Stay away from the 08 Escape. This is my 4th Ford vehicle but Toyota is looking very good at the moment.

Good Vehicle w/ some issues
By Linda on 10/10/09 10:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my Escape new and loved it, I have had small problems with it. The tires are cupping on the inside. We rotate them when we take it in for service and Ford always tells us that we need new tires but never tells us what the cause is. Another company told us it was the suspension. I also know that the shocks or struts are having issues. When you go across a dip it has a bottom out feel. The vehicle has several rattles and the seats spot w/o any reason. The black moulding around the outside windows raises up when you raise the window up and down and it won't stay down once up.

Not all it's cracked up to be!
By dana on 10/08/09 09:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After trying to find the good in it, I have come up with nothing. I am a previous Toyota owner, and I feel very short-changed by the Escape. The inside is very cheap. The apolstery irritates my legs, shows every single water spot, and the foam is hard as a rock. Overall, the interior looks like a 6 year old designed it. When I am on the highway, the engine noise makes it sound like a semi-truck from the inside. Also, I know I have a 4 cylinder, but I can't do more than 20mph uphill, unless I gun it. Then at that point, the engine sounds like it is going to fall out. They should not even make a 4cyl. I do like its auxilary jack for my iPod

Transmission Leak
By unhappyfordowner on 09/29/09 17:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Took my 08 escape in today and was told the ac condenser was broke and that was why my transmission fluid was leaking. Have an 8 year warrenty on this car and ofcourse this problem is not cover because it is not part of the drive train. So now its costing me 500 dollars to fix it plus 40 to be told what the problem is. I am not happy at all with ford, if they know this is going on and not doing anything about it they are pretty much screwing us on purpose. I will keep my car but not sure I will buy another.

Recall Bad Tranny Coolers in '08 Escapes!
By Sharon on 09/12/09 11:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

A local auto repair shop just told me my 2008 Escape's transmission cooler is leaking and has been for a long time. Since purchased, I've taken it to the Ford dealership where I bought it for servicing and they never mentioned this problem. This same dealership said the extended warranty expired 600 miles ago and they can't cover the repair. The dealership is asking almost $600 to repair it. I see other '08 Escape tranny cooler problems on this site. Ford needs to fix this problem. Though a loyal Ford customer for years, I will no longer be buying a Ford if the company can't replace a repeatedly defective part.

Intercooler/transmission
By Inner Cooler on 08/31/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 08 Escape new. I love my Escape but noticed that it was having a hard time taking off so it reved up and then slammed into take off mode. I took it in today and they told me that there was a leak in the intercooler leaking transmission fluid. And now I've read other reviews that say they have had the same problem....should there be a total recall, should we all get new cars to replace these that are defective. I've only had my car 1yr and a half!!!!!

1 Year
By Mz.Marina on 08/27/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my escape a year ago. Have put extensive miles on it without any problems whatsoever. Only regular maintenance which is key to maintaining a vehicle. Will keep an eye on the tranny after reading these reviews...but other than that cute fun suv.

Poor Gas Mileage
By Mark on 08/21/09 19:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 2008 Escape used with only 8000km on it. No real problems except bad gas mileage. The gas tank is too small and no matter how easy I drive this car I can't even get 500km on a tank. I should be at least getting 600km on a tank. Only had it in to the dealer for regular oil changes and one warranty problem. Has a whining sound now that I have to get checked.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.