2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
never again
By sad owner on 02/09/10 08:48 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very disappointed in this vehicle. Price was a big consideration in the purchase decision. Repairs have canceled out any original savings. Transmission cooler leak, lower steering unit failure are two of major items not covered under warranty or power train warranty. Problems were not correctly diagnosed until 3/36 warranty had expired. Unlike GM, Ford customer care department doesn't care, and dealership service departments leave much to be desired. No more US made vehicles.

Totally dismayed at quality of product
By Sage on 02/06/10 20:18 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

46000 miles, trans. coolant assembly had to be replaced, leaking badly. Water leaves stains on interior upholstery. Horrible squalling wind noise from right front windshield area. Unable to be fixed by dealership without foam insulation & duct tape. Yep, have to keep duct tape on windshield, started a couple months after purchase. Mult. failures of instrument panel,goes dead. After being very cold for 3 days outside & weather warmed up, battery went dead. RSA jumped it, instrument panel was out again-no heat, blower, stereo, read outs-until SUV warmed up 40 mins after driving it. Then heater blew snow. It always has electrical issues after cold down to 20-30 below & then warms up & i'm down.

Leaking Transmission Cooler
By jmh on 02/04/10 14:21 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

At 39000 miles the transmission cooler is leaking transmission fluid. As you may have noticed this is a common issue that Ford is well aware of and is doing nothing about. It was close to $900 to repair (not covered under my warranty). I was upset and filed a complaint. I got a response and they were sorry to hear about my issues with my 2008 Edge (which I don't own). They then told me I should take it to a Ford Dealer to have the problem diagnosed. In my complaint I explained to them the fact it was already diagnosed and being fixed. They have poor quality products and poor quality service. I am from Detroit and was trying to do the right thing buying a Ford. That will not happen again.

A nice all around vehicle. 6cyl 2WD
By Babylou on 02/03/10 07:07 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle for almost 3 years now. Note this is the 2WD XLT with 6 cyl. My lease is up in May. Overall the vehicle is a nice equipped ride. Gas mileage as been decent. I have traveled to canada 2X and averaged 26 to 27 mpg at 75mph plus the truck loaded down with fishing gear. Back and forth to work I avg 24 in the summer and 21 om the winter. This is combined HWY and city driving (35 mile commute). Ride noise is a little high but the std tires are not the greatest. I did have to replace a brake sensor ($200 plus) at 30K. Overall I am happy with the vehicle.

Not a winter SUV!!
By Forever Ford Fan on 01/28/10 07:50 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned an Explorer before,and wanted to down size. Big mistake!This Escape is worthless in the snow. Living in IA we can expect anything from Mother Nature. I did not purchase the 4x4 trying to save some money,but you NEED it for winter driving. When you come to a stop you can barely get the thing going,it has NO traction!I will be trading this thing in this summer for an Explorer,it will NOT be in my garage next winter. Also the carmel interior was a wrong choice.It picks up every stain you can think of.The material is cheap and when you try to clean it yourself you end up with a bigger stain when it dries!Folding of the rear seats require you to remove the head rest not practical. Avg MPG 18

Not bad for a 4 cylinder
By J Ramos on 01/27/10 07:01 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because I was moving upstate. It has been extremely reliable and has handled the 140 miles per day with ease. It has been great in the snow & the rain and I would recommend it to anyone looking for an economical SUV. The engine does have something to be desired when it comes to power but I knew that I had to comprimise on that if I was going for a 4 cylinder - great on gas. So far it has 69,000 miles and I have replaced 1 tire, 1 brake job, and a small transmission coolant leak ($180 to repair)..So feel free to buy it. I planning to give it to my son when he graduates college in 2 years..That is how confident I am in its reliabilty.

Trans Cooler Defect
By Twinspires on 01/20/10 11:01 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 41,000 miles..just outside of warranty, transmission cooler went out to tune of $650. Ford does not want to hear about it, but check the internet..lots of others had the same issue. There shoudl be a recall on this vehicle. Leaked trans fluid until I got it repaired and only 2 years old. Going back to driving Nissans.

2008 Ford Escape Transmission
By scndshot on 01/15/10 18:34 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Pitiful. Transmission failing at 34k Miles. Thankfully, just barely still under warranty. Type "2008 Ford Escape Transmission" on the internet and see the complaints. Never again...will trade in for Honda or Toyota. Driver seat power-drive also failed, as did one of the back power-windows (around 15k miles). Pitiful.

Good for a Company Vehicle
By Argonaught on 01/15/10 04:48 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was given an Escape as a company vehicle, this way the maintenance problems do not affect my wallet directly. I would never contemplate buying a vehicle like this for myself. See the Pro's/Contra's below. During the first 30K the following had gone wrong: - Some electrical problem that they wouldn't disclose to me ... it manifested itself in battery discharging unexpectedly - One of the struts, supporting the tailgate, broke in half - The brake disks had to be re-machined - Another funny electrical problem (interior lights wouldn't go off automatically) - 12V outlet fell out of the console!

Very Unhappy!!
By kiana1 on 01/11/10 16:35 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this vehicle and loved it until all the trouble lights started coming on after you started it and lost all power including steering,odo,etc.4x now it has been in shop ranging from battery to computer. Most unhappy, never be buying Ford again!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Ford Escape in NJ is:

$150 per month*