2008 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Good Compact SUV
By G.Johnson on 04/24/10 09:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 3yr/60,000km lease is about to expire and I've decided to share my thoughts. This SUV is my first FORD product and has met my expectations. The transmission cooler went at about 40,000km and was replaced and covered in the lease. Other than that, the 3.0lV6 and powertrain have been very good and the SUV has done flawlessly on many trips across Alberta and British Columbia.

No major problems
By L.Z.Patton on 04/15/10 08:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2008 Escape after my 2001 Escape started getting up there in miles. I have had no major problems at all. I'm not crazy about the interior of the XLT- the console is worthless- but I wanted the V6, so I didn't get the XLS. I've had no breakdowns, and only one repair (a recall for the AC/transmission fluid problem that others have encountered). I couldn't be happier.

Nice and affordable
By lou on 04/09/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased this vehicle for 3 years. I drive a good distance to work so I budgeted in the lease 18000 miles a year. This vehicle was the V6 XLT with tow package. I tow 2 snowmobiles and this fit perfectly. This also only had FWD. Window sticker stated 18-24 mpg. I can say I average 22-23 on combined city and hwy between work. I average 26-27 on the hwy on long trips. Over all I did like the vehicle. It was reliable and did exactly what I wanted. It has been to Canada twice and the only thing I had to do to the vehicle is replace one of the antilock break sensors at around 40K ($200). Ford backs their products. Recently my oil cooler had a leak. Discovered at 48K miles. Ford replaced it 4 free.

Not Bad
By geop on 03/27/10 17:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Overall it's not a bad small SUV. The ride is rough as it's on a truck frame and has a small wheel base. The 4 cylinder does OK for a 4cyl. It does need to shift out of over drive climbing up inclines on the highway. The seats are a bit stiff. There is enough room for me as I'm 6 ft. I like the fact that you can open the back window without having to open the hatchback to load small items.

Transmission cooler should be recalled
By Shelby Mustang on 03/22/10 01:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2008 Ford Escape and enjoy driving it till one day when the transmission cooler decided to leak out all my fluid and leave me stranded. Really Ford let get it together and recall all of these 2008 Ford Escapes. How many upset customers does it take for Ford to save its American name.

Disappointment
By unhappy! on 03/19/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Just like everyone else bad condenser unit, around 20,000. Also had the throttle cable snap twice at 26,000 and at 58,000. Also had engine mount go bad at 60,000. This thing is a lemon but the throttle needs to snap once more before I have a suit. I love America and that's why I put my family in a Ford but this thing has been a bucket. I've called Ford but they don't do anything there district manger didn't care that my wife is pregnant and we have 3 children. I will never let myself or my family be in a situation like this again.

Found On Road Dead
By Found On Road Dead. on 03/15/10 17:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I also purchased this car to stay with American made products. Along with others our transmission cooler went out and had to fix on my own. I called and reported it and nothing is being done. It's no wonder people are buying things made outside America. Ford you need to fix this problem or you will lose a lot of customers!

Transmission Cooler Leak
By ashnm on 03/10/10 07:44 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ford will fix this problem at no cost to you. I have a 2008 Ford Escape and my transmission cooler is leaking, causing my transmission to slip. I took my car into Park Cities Ford this morning and they printed out a TSP (Customer Satisfaction Program 09B10) dated March 2010. The form states that the "Transmission Fluid cooler in your vehicle may develop a crack and leak transmission fluid. If not repaired, this leak may result in rough/harsh shifting and potential damage to the transmission." "FMC has authorized your dealer to perform the repairs under this program on your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). The Program will be in effect until August 31, 2010 regardless of mileage.

Value, man. Value.
By Jimmy Balmer on 03/04/10 12:01 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've been very pleased with my Escape. My wife and I put 1,500 miles on an Escape that we rented in Alaska in the middle of the winter. When we got home, we bought one. It's been great.

It Stinks!
By Kohkum on 02/24/10 22:06 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We are new customers to ford vehicles and will never again purchase another! Ever!!! Every time we get this vehicle on the road we have to wear masks over our faces. The catalytic converter (we are told by the dealership) has a problem that we/they are unable to alter. Everytime this vehicle accelerates the smell insde the vehicle almost makes you dizzy. It smells like cooked S_it! The season does not diminish the degree of smell except that winter seems to augment it when we are driving on snow covered roads. Apparently no one lese has this trouble!If you have encountered this problem, please drop us a line and let us know how it was rectified if it was even rectified. Sad and Sorry Owners

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.