Used 2008 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

waste of $$$$
By chaz20

2008 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this '08 Escape Limited a year ago. Big mistake! Car had really bad ride & was terrible on gas (V6). Tranny shifted hard especially going up/down hills. There must have been a crickets nest in the dash because all it did was chirp constantly, especially when cold outside. One side of dash vents blow hot/the other side cold. Ford dealer doesn't care. Basically tell you that how it is & how they are built. Unbelieveable! Traded for a CRV & was the best move we ever made!

Hire a Toyota, Hyundai, or Honda engineer!

Better than her Mercedes V8 SUV..by far!
By fordz4evr

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife had a 2000 Mercedes SUV...430 something or other. Nothing but problems. Accelerator module,seat problems, sunroof stuck open on vacation, check engine light etc, etc... One day I said "this is it...we're going to the Ford dealer and trading this piece of junk" We walked into the showroom and I told her to pick any model she wanted...she wanted the Escape for it's size and maneuverability in traffic. Now, please understand that my wife was no Ford fan...she had a 58' which was junk and swore she'd never own another. She is now in love with her Escape. It's reliable, fun to drive and has incredible acceleration with the V6. When we get a new car, I'm taking hers.

Acceleration...better than my Explorer V6 Handling, driver visibility,moonroof convenient controls.

Seat covering material is junk. Supposedly "environmentally friendly recycled plastic...stains easy. Get seat covers or leather. Transmission cooler leaked...dealer fixed it at no charge and Ford gave my wife an extended warranty for her trouble.

Dangerous & Defective Transmission!
By tdd281

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first and LAST FORD. Ever. I was so in love with my new spunky Ford Escape, I got all the bells and whistles, paid 24 grand for this model.. I noticed that my car was rusting prematurely...not on on the outside, but the inside as well underneath my seats. In fact the bars that hold my seats to the car are rusting. At 107k miles, my transmission malfunctioned causing my car to shake violently, and accelerate on its own, now I have to buy a new trans at 3 grand. On top of it I could of been seriously hurt, since my car seat is rusting away from the base of the care. FORD DID NOTHING. SO I launched a complaint against them. LAST FORD I EVER BUY. EVER>

Transmission Cooler - Again!
By lacynic

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Ford Escape in Jan 2009 used. I never had a problem with it until Nov 2011 when I had to pay $900 for a new transmission cooler. Come to find out Ford had a recall on this until Aug 2010 and I was never notified! After calling Ford repeatedly they were no help at all! Today is Jan 17, 2012 - my car is back in the shop for the same problem! Way to go Ford for backing up their customers! Last Ford I will own. Getting it fixed and selling it for a different brand!

The seats are made of recycled bottles and stain like crazy. Fix the seats and fix the transmission cooler. Back up your customers!

Transmission cooler
By jackdk

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After doing tons of research on line about the trans cooler defect, I see this has happened to 100's if not 1000's of people that owned 2008 Escapes. I was told Ford did do some repairs on these cars that where built early 2008, and that the CSP (Customer Satisfaction Program) expired in August 2010. My Escape was built in Sept. 2007, which should have covered it. Ford sent a CSP #09B10 to owners for a replacement because of the know defect to the cooler. Since I didn't not own the vehicle until November 2010, I had no idea of the problem, and since the original owner never took it in, I have to pay the price. Called Ford Customer Care, and both them, and the Ford dealer acknowledge the defect, but would not cover it. Since there is no recall, and the CSP is over, I had to pay $644.41 out of my pocket. This is ridicules I am paying for a defect that Ford knows about. They both told me to hold on to my receipt in case there is a recall I can get reimbursed I think this is the last Ford I will own.... Ford's GREAT idea of making the transmission cooler, and the A/C condenser all one piece. This adds a big price for the part. When your cooler needs changed the A/C Freon needs to be emptied, then fill again, which adds to the labor cost. Good thinking Ford! Even though this is connected to the drive train, and keeps your transmission from failing, its not a drive train part, and not cover cause its not internal. ...

Hopefully Ford does the right thing, and reimburses the customer for the mistake THEY made in the construction of the transmission cooler.