2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
No [non-permissible content removed] for me..love my Ford
By studenut on 06/07/11 16:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this little red Escape off the showroom floor. Apparently driven by a salesman for 5K miles. I was a died in the wool Ford-hater till my husband bought this one for me with the promise that if in 1 year I'd be able to get whatever I wanted. I traded in a Mercedes 430 SEL (something like that)...Talk about JUNK? I could write a book about that Lemon! Electrical wiring, throttle problems, cocked moonroof, windows that failed to go down,early brake failure,on and on. I knew the service manager by his first name. No...I am thrilled with this one. They couldn't get me to trade for any Japanese or German SUV after I've owned this one.

First AND Last Ford
By onthehwy on 02/25/11 21:17 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first in last Ford. In the three years that I have had this SUV, the air vent fell off, the front window squeaks when let down (it was supposedly fixed), had 3 new batteries, a transmission cooler, and now my transmission has gone bad. I'm sorry but all this should NOT happen within 3 years of owning a new car. I'm going back to Toyota!

The Biggest Nightmare I Have Ever Faced
By ken1053 on 01/28/11 20:32 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car was a really nice car to drive around, especially having a workplace full of BMWs and Audis. I liked the comfort of the cloth seats and the interior design. One thing I absolutely hated is the reliability. My car is only 2 years old (I bought it in 10/08) and it is the most unreliable thing I ever faced. The car shifts very roughly into gear and the car lurches itself forward. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the gas or with the transmission coolant recall... I absolutely hate that car now. It can't keep the value and if you did get into an accident with this car (airbags deployed) you will not like the fact that it is 10x more of a bumpier ride. I regret getting this car..

My dream suv turned nightmare
By marlanea on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle ran great until just over 60 k miles, only work needed done was bad transmission cooler (recall) but the transmission in this vehicle number cd4e which is in several ford makes and models is absolute garbage, cheap, poor engineering design and totally unreliable according to many transmission specialists. The shops are full of ford escapes with bad transmissions! they barely make it through warrenty. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on FORD! I have bought this almost brand new, have had it one year and ten months and the transmision is garbage. You are worthless to them after 60k, sorry charlie, too bad, cant help you, Sucker! I even took it in while in warrenty 58k and complained. tough.

Very useful little suv
By Bob on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 42,000 miles and no problems except for the trans leak recall. I do mixed driving and average 21 mpg with the 3 liter v/6. Twice a year I tow about 3000 lbs of boat, and trailor. The 3500 lbs tow rating is maxed. The newer 3.5 v/6 may tow better, due to more power. I do like the vehicle.

Do not buy
By marvnjenn on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

You know I am American and always felt the need to buy an American car. Well this is one of the worst cars I have owned. I noticed after my warranty ran out that the paint on the trim in the wheel wells chipped and was rusting. The dealership told me it was from rocks hitting my car. I looked on their lot and there where 4 of the same trucks with the same issue. All of the 2008 are rusting and I will NEVER but American again. I have had other issues but if you are still under warranty check for rusting and they will fix it otherwise you are out of luck. Mariners owners this goes for you as well.

Love the car, hate the realiability!
By flnycus on 08/17/10 08:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great car to drive, fun, like the comfort, the seats, easy to get around NYC in. However, it has been in the dealer far too many times. 1. Vibrating/Noise from the rear when breaking, in to dealer 3 times, still not fixed. 2. Electric mirror went out. 3. Transmission fluid leaked. 4. Transmission slipped/broken only 35k miles. 5. Paint peeling off car revealing gray undercoat in 2 places at 35k miles. 6. Trim paint flaked off doors 3 times. Maybe we got a lemon, but i would buy it again if it was reliable, but with kids i depend on the vehicle and i need it with me not at the dealer!

2008 Escape
By gcedmondson on 05/11/10 13:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Dealership was great to deal with. I loved driving this vehicle through the winter. It went through the snow wonderfully. I never had to wonder if I would be able to get round. I would recommend if you own an 2008 to be sure to do the recent March 2010 recall for the Transmission fluid cooler. I took mine in to be fix only to find out that I was miles away from ruining my Escape.

2008 Ford Escape Overall good
By stephani555 on 05/05/10 13:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

How come this is the only web site that shows the recall information for the 2008 ford Transmission Fluid cooler in your vehicle may develop a crack and leak transmission fluid. If not repaired, this leak may result in rough/harsh shifting and potential damage to the transmission." "FMC has authorized your dealer to perform the repairs under this program on your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). The Program will be in effect until August 31, 2010 regardless of mileage.

Trany Issues part 2
By jon smith on 04/30/10 00:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In March 2009, I wrote a review just after my tran. cooler went out after 38,000 miles. After more then a year and the car having 48,000 miles now, no problems have occurred. Its experienced -30 F for 3 weeks straight not to mention months of harsh winter snows in Montana. I can say that the car has held up well. I would suggest to anyone considering buying a used escape, is to get a warranty. It'll save you in the long round. Tran. cooler will cost $950 and they fail about 75% of the time. I have 8 friends with 2008 escapes and 6 have replaced them. If I were you get an Acura MDX instead you'll thank me later.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.