Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Don't buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By ch6

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was so excited to buy my second Ford Escape, first one was a 2001 that I drove forever. I bought my 2008 Escape 18 months ago and at less than 90,000 miles needed a new transmission. Guess what?? The new transmission Ford put in doesn't work either!!!! I also need $3,000 additional dollars to put into including a new air conditioner, oil pan and the ABS sensor needs fixed. The word around town when you talk to transmission mechanics is that the 2007, 2008 Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute are bad news! Others who work at Ford plants say the Escape is called a parts car, aka they make it knowing that parts are going to need to be repaired quickly If you have this problem please call Ford

Favorite Features

Inside is very roomy and spacey. Great for having kids! The inside is perfectly designed, except it can be difficult to clean with all the small spaces. I love the CD player etc.

Suggested Improvements

Ford is supposed to be making a car for the middle class, it should be made much more sturdy.

Great car
By colin_88

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my mom's car and I love it. We have had it for 5 months now and it has changed my view of Fords since the demise of my 1995 Escort. I find this more luxurious than my plain 2002 Toyota Camry. The ride is very smooth. The 4WD comes in handy on the snowy Philly winters and our yearly Xmas trip to Maine.

Favorite Features

Automatic climate control, heated seats, sunroof, automatic headlights, smooth ride

Ford XLT
By csylv

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Escape used a year ago. Yes it had the faulty transmission pump already replaced. It is definitely not the most comfortable ride on the highway. My butt usually goes numb, but in-city driving is easy. The seat is powered on the driver's side helping me gain some more height (I'm only 5'6 making seeing over the steering wheel difficult in large vehicles). The controls are easy to figure out and are large enough that my monkey fingers can get control. This version does lack the Ford Sync of the newer vehicles but still has an audio jack. In town handling is easy but at higher speeds it is a bit of a challenge but has the stability control to help you out.

Favorite Features

My favorite aspects are the power driver seat, sun roof, CD player and audio jack, plenty of space in the back to carry large items. I also like the in-town handling. It is still easy for me to maneuver around other vehicles and stop and go easily. I'm not too worried about the back seat because most of the time I am by myself.

Suggested Improvements

Improved long distance traveling comfort. The seats are hard and do cause a bit of a problem. The road noise inside is really loud on long drives as well. I would like to see more air vents to cool/ heat the vehicle since there are only 4 in the front of my Escape. I would also like to see the parking brake moved up since I have a difficult time reaching it. Reconfiguring the back seat not to have the 3 head rests. I no longer have the center one which is okay because I would not be able to see behind me.

Okay, Rather have something else
By chewetson825

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new in 2008 and has been a love-hate experience. The car is absolutely AWFUL on the highway, but fantastic in the snow. If we had to buy another small SUV again, i would probably go for the Honda CRV instead.

Favorite Features

The interior on this car is very nice. There are a lot of buttons on the dashboard that light up with a soft blue color when you turn the lights on. This car is also amazing in the snow. Living in West Virginia, we get quite a bit of snow on our hilly country roads, but this car has never got stuck once. It really is very good in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

The cruise control in the car has a mind of its own. Set the speed at 70 on a flat piece of road and you'll be doing 55 up a hill and 85 down one. If you try to speed up or slow down, you hold the button down for what seems like an eternity before anything happens. The fuel consumption is very bad too. Sure, we got the 3.0 v6, but it is so underpowered i don't think we could live with the 4 cylinder. Worst of all though, is the transmission. From day one, it clunks HORRIBLY if you go down a hill and it shifts down. Because of these things the only time i ever drive this car anymore is if it's snowing.

Accelerator cable broke while driving!
By disappointed58

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had a very disturbing incident happen with my 2008 Escape today that still has me shaken up! My accelerator completely broke while merging into traffic on the highway! The gas pedal fell to the floor and the car wouldn't accelerate. I had 10 seconds to figure out what was going on, quickly applied my brakes and landed in the median, with 2 lanes of hwy traffic going 70 MPH next to me. When my car was towed to the dealership, they informed me that the accelerator cable broke and I would owe $240. I was so upset and called the Cust. Serv. Dept and they did nothing! I could have been hit by a tractor trailer with my kids in the car and FORD DID NOTHING! I'm so furious and scared to drive it!

Favorite Features

I wanted an Escape for so long, bought one in 2008 and have been completed disappointed since then. I have had it for less than 4 years and the cloth seats are now terrribly stained from the rain, my back window leaks, my interior seat bolts are rusting, the windshield seal is lifting away from the window, the gas tank won't accept gas without stopping 20 times, and now the accelerator cable broke while driving which makes me livid that no one at Ford seems to really care that I could have been hit from behind by a tractor trailer going 70 MPH because I couldn't accelerate to get out of the way. I thank God for my angels today and that I somehow managed to escape a potential fatality.

Suggested Improvements

Make a safe, reliable, quality car for the amount of money you're selling them for! Improve your Customer Service! If I call crying hysterically because my family and I could have been killed because your accelerator cable broke on my car, have some sympathy and try to retify the situation, not charge me $240 because I didn't die. No one wanted to help me or seemed to care! I wanted to help Ford out when they were having problems, so I bought your car! Why would you put me in danger and not rectify the situation? Ford, I'm so upset today with your company. I don't want this car, nor will ever buy another one of your vehicles again. I am truly furious with how you handled this scary situation