Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 217 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

56k miles on Escape XLT and blown head gasket!!
By mariposa7684

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Between last oil change/inspection @dealership (everything looked good), and the one this week, car developed an oil leak.
No oil on driveway to tip me off.
Leakage seen when car on lift-oil was being sprayed on underside. Since source of leak not readily obvious, had dye test done.
When car seen yesterday, quite a bit of oil had leaked out.
Test points to blown head gasket.
Aside from leak, had absolutely no indication there was a problem:
no heavy exhaust, no idiot lights on. The bright side is that it was caught before I broke down, killed the engine, etc.

I'm posting this mainly to vent.
One thing is for absolute sure:
I will never, ever buy another Ford.

97K miles, 2nd Escape & it's a great car
By christofferson

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2008 is my 2nd Escape, previous 2003 that transmission went out at 119K.
This one I have 97K miles on it today, and have had no major failures or problems.
I like it and it was an excellent buy and value.
Mileage is good for a 4X4 and it has handled very well in water, mud and sand (Rocky Point, MX--not 4-wheeling, just the circumstances--rare).

I am buying a 2012 right now.
I don't like 2013 body style 3.0-V6
This Escape & all small SUVs, have lot of road noise.
Seats get tiring when you driving long.
That's the nature of what you get and what you pay.

Buy good Michelin tires.
People complain about seats staining--very easy--use carpet cleaner or expecially Oxyclean---works!

Power, look, reliability, safety features--that stability control is excellent. Fold down flat back seats. If you use 4x4, it's very good. Rides decently high for a mini-SUV and has excellent visibility out of windows--no blind spots--big windows. Tinting keeps it private what's in back. Like rear wiper when it rains or gets mud or dust. Excellent cargo space. Good room for 5 people and luggage. I drive this car 25K a year and I drive it all over--it's been great.

Road noise. Hate that CD player--it sticks allt he time, always has--cheap. Brakes need replaced too often. Why the heck do those seats seem to stain? I figured it out early thanks to a hotel manager tip on a matress--but most people seem not to have done so. If you have a car cleaned professionally, same deal--even water drops look like stains (but it comes righ tup. Tinny horn. I sure hope the transmission doesn't fail in mine--it's going to a family member. My 2003 failed too soon and had wiring harness and alternator replaced before 100K--I hope this 2012 holds up and doesn't fall apart like these posts say it wil. Mine has been excellent so far.

Do Not Buy
By jennifer56

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since July 2008, I bought it brand new off the lot. It has been the worst car I have ever owned. It has had major problems with the door locks, the back hatch window opening randomly while driving, tie rods, breaks- 4 sets in 4 years, air conditioning, doors not locking then locking me in randomly. Loud noises while driving which supossedly can be fixed with a hot oil flush. I can't wait til it is paid off, I plan to sell it and never buy another ford again. Dealing with Fords incompitant employees is another problem I will not miss. Problem after problem after problem.

LOVE MY FORD ESCAPE!!!!
By pumpkin2008

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased an 08 ford escape limited used. I love this SUV, it drives so smooth for a 4WD and handles very well. It is very roomy. I can't wait to try it out in the snow this winter. Gas milage isn't bad for a 4WD, very happy with my purchase.

Sound system,6 disc CD player.

Don't buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By ch6

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was so excited to buy my second Ford Escape, first one was a 2001 that I drove forever.
I bought my 2008 Escape 18 months ago and at less than 90,000 miles needed a new transmission.
Guess what??
The new transmission Ford put in doesn't work either!!!!
I also need $3,000 additional dollars to put into including a new air conditioner, oil pan and the ABS sensor needs fixed.
The word around town when you talk to transmission mechanics is that the 2007, 2008 Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute are bad news!
Others who work at Ford plants say the Escape is called a parts car, aka they make it knowing that parts are going to need to be repaired quickly
If you have this problem please call Ford

Inside is very roomy and spacey. Great for having kids! The inside is perfectly designed, except it can be difficult to clean with all the small spaces. I love the CD player etc.

Ford is supposed to be making a car for the middle class, it should be made much more sturdy.