2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Better than her Mercedes V8 SUV..by far!
By fordz4evr on 01/30/12 11:55 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife had a 2000 Mercedes SUV...430 something or other. Nothing but problems. Accelerator module,seat problems, sunroof stuck open on vacation, check engine light etc, etc... One day I said "this is it...we're going to the Ford dealer and trading this piece of junk" We walked into the showroom and I told her to pick any model she wanted...she wanted the Escape for it's size and maneuverability in traffic. Now, please understand that my wife was no Ford fan...she had a 58' which was junk and swore she'd never own another. She is now in love with her Escape. It's reliable, fun to drive and has incredible acceleration with the V6. When we get a new car, I'm taking hers.

Dangerous & Defective Transmission!
By tdd281 on 01/27/12 11:09 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first and LAST FORD. Ever. I was so in love with my new spunky Ford Escape, I got all the bells and whistles, paid 24 grand for this model.. I noticed that my car was rusting prematurely...not on on the outside, but the inside as well underneath my seats. In fact the bars that hold my seats to the car are rusting. At 107k miles, my transmission malfunctioned causing my car to shake violently, and accelerate on its own, now I have to buy a new trans at 3 grand. On top of it I could of been seriously hurt, since my car seat is rusting away from the base of the care. FORD DID NOTHING. SO I launched a complaint against them. LAST FORD I EVER BUY. EVER>

Transmission Cooler - Again!
By lacynic on 01/17/12 07:23 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Ford Escape in Jan 2009 used. I never had a problem with it until Nov 2011 when I had to pay $900 for a new transmission cooler. Come to find out Ford had a recall on this until Aug 2010 and I was never notified! After calling Ford repeatedly they were no help at all! Today is Jan 17, 2012 - my car is back in the shop for the same problem! Way to go Ford for backing up their customers! Last Ford I will own. Getting it fixed and selling it for a different brand!

Transmission cooler
By jackdk on 01/12/12 09:23 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After doing tons of research on line about the trans cooler defect, I see this has happened to 100's if not 1000's of people that owned 2008 Escapes. I was told Ford did do some repairs on these cars that where built early 2008, and that the CSP (Customer Satisfaction Program) expired in August 2010. My Escape was built in Sept. 2007, which should have covered it. Ford sent a CSP #09B10 to owners for a replacement because of the know defect to the cooler. Since I didn't not own the vehicle until November 2010, I had no idea of the problem, and since the original owner never took it in, I have to pay the price. Called Ford Customer Care, and both them, and the Ford dealer acknowledge the defect, but would not cover it. Since there is no recall, and the CSP is over, I had to pay $644.41 out of my pocket. This is ridicules I am paying for a defect that Ford knows about. They both told me to hold on to my receipt in case there is a recall I can get reimbursed I think this is the last Ford I will own.... Ford's GREAT idea of making the transmission cooler, and the A/C condenser all one piece. This adds a big price for the part. When your cooler needs changed the A/C Freon needs to be emptied, then fill again, which adds to the labor cost. Good thinking Ford! Even though this is connected to the drive train, and keeps your transmission from failing, its not a drive train part, and not cover cause its not internal. ...

2008 FORD ESCAPE TRANSMISSION LEAK
By mjk13 on 12/30/11 12:32 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Ford has changed and the corporation is focused on $$$$$ and NOT the consumer. Read reviews on the internet- they are EVERYWHERE. I just got screwed by Ford on a recall that they will no longer honor. Called Customer Service and they said to will cost $800.00! READ before you buy. I never would have said this before today, but I'm now looking at a Toyota or Nissan. It's too bad Ford has gone the way and we are forced to buy non-American products. FORD you should be ashamed of what you have turned into.

Best car I've ever owned!
By winters87 on 08/30/11 20:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was NOT a ford fan, at all! After bad experiences with my mustang & f250, my husband & I swore we would never buy another ford again...we were both Chevy fans & still am. But once I test drove my escape, I had to have it Although I wasnt a fan of the automatic computer controlled 4x4, it does awesome in the snow! I've had a mustang, camaro, chevy tahoe, multiple chevy trucks, ford f250, multiple saturn cars & multiple honda accords & i would MUCH rather drive my escape than any vehicle I've ever owned!!

Ford Escape Issues
By cmclove3 on 08/12/11 19:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

First and Foremost...the seats are horrible with just water they stain right away..had to buy seat covers because the backseat looked horrible..I had to bring it on on a Recall and sure enough I had nothing wrong with it...within a week the actuator of one of the Door locks was not working and now the Cruise Control is not working and it is not the Fuse because I replaced that..from an insider who I know works for the Service Dept at the same Ford Dealership advised me that when you bring your suv/car in for repair..they do things so that you have to bring it in again...I can not confirm that they deactivated my cruise control and it is now out of warranty..Soo sad they can't be trusted

Failed Transmission
By cjutte on 08/01/11 13:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I used to love my Ford Escape. It was a great value and the perfect size for my family of 3 1/2. BUT after my transmission failed at 62,000 miles (just 2,000 miles out of warranty) I will never again purchase another Ford. I was originally looking at Honda and Toyota and wish I had spent the extra money on one of those brands. Not happy with my experience.

love it!
By h2hummer679 on 07/27/11 17:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i own a limited 08 escape and i am very pleased with it so far. It is surprisingly more roomy than you would think. the ride is a little rough but thats understandable with a suv. navigation works waaay better than any tomtom or garmin i've used. haven't tested it out in the snow with the 4wd but im expecting great things from it. the gas milage is great for a vehicle this size and with a v6.

disgusted with 2008 escape
By fedupwithit on 07/20/11 15:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2008 Escape in June 2007, really loved the vehicle with no complaints until this year. At 84,000 miles the headliner is falling down in front and on side in cargo area, the bearings went out, the tire pressure sensor kept coming on for 2 months, the seats stain easily after turning over a vase of roses in just water and the stain wont come out. I have owned 8 new Fords with no complaints but I have become completely disgusted with this 2008 Escape and I wouldnt recommend it to anyone...it has made me consider buying a foreign vehicle for the first time in my life as my co-workers love their Hyundai Suvs

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.