Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Beware of Ford Escape, Beware!
By ahwilson

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2008 Ford Escape in August 2007, and about 8 days after purchase the accelerator cable line broke. The dealer chose to repair the care, even though I expressed concern and worry about keeping the car. I immediately notified National Highway Safety. The dealer could not explain the malfunction. Cable line broke again at about 15,000 miles. This car has multiple problems. Windows freeze, and won't roll up..even in summer. The fabric seats stains very quickly and car offered cleaning of seats and carpet for additional. Every time I presented it for cleaning, the dealer never had appropriate staff. This add-on cost is a rip off. The keys to car wear down. I hate it!

56k miles on Escape XLT and blown head gasket!!
By mariposa7684

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Between last oil change/inspection @dealership (everything looked good), and the one this week, car developed an oil leak. No oil on driveway to tip me off. Leakage seen when car on lift-oil was being sprayed on underside. Since source of leak not readily obvious, had dye test done. When car seen yesterday, quite a bit of oil had leaked out. Test points to blown head gasket. Aside from leak, had absolutely no indication there was a problem: no heavy exhaust, no idiot lights on. The bright side is that it was caught before I broke down, killed the engine, etc. I'm posting this mainly to vent. One thing is for absolute sure: I will never, ever buy another Ford.

97K miles, 2nd Escape & it's a great car
By christofferson

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2008 is my 2nd Escape, previous 2003 that transmission went out at 119K. This one I have 97K miles on it today, and have had no major failures or problems. I like it and it was an excellent buy and value. Mileage is good for a 4X4 and it has handled very well in water, mud and sand (Rocky Point, MX--not 4-wheeling, just the circumstances--rare). I am buying a 2012 right now. I don't like 2013 body style 3.0-V6 This Escape & all small SUVs, have lot of road noise. Seats get tiring when you driving long. That's the nature of what you get and what you pay. Buy good Michelin tires. People complain about seats staining--very easy--use carpet cleaner or expecially Oxyclean---works!

Favorite Features

Power, look, reliability, safety features--that stability control is excellent. Fold down flat back seats. If you use 4x4, it's very good. Rides decently high for a mini-SUV and has excellent visibility out of windows--no blind spots--big windows. Tinting keeps it private what's in back. Like rear wiper when it rains or gets mud or dust. Excellent cargo space. Good room for 5 people and luggage. I drive this car 25K a year and I drive it all over--it's been great.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise. Hate that CD player--it sticks allt he time, always has--cheap. Brakes need replaced too often. Why the heck do those seats seem to stain? I figured it out early thanks to a hotel manager tip on a matress--but most people seem not to have done so. If you have a car cleaned professionally, same deal--even water drops look like stains (but it comes righ tup. Tinny horn. I sure hope the transmission doesn't fail in mine--it's going to a family member. My 2003 failed too soon and had wiring harness and alternator replaced before 100K--I hope this 2012 holds up and doesn't fall apart like these posts say it wil. Mine has been excellent so far.

Do Not Buy
By jennifer56

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since July 2008, I bought it brand new off the lot. It has been the worst car I have ever owned. It has had major problems with the door locks, the back hatch window opening randomly while driving, tie rods, breaks- 4 sets in 4 years, air conditioning, doors not locking then locking me in randomly. Loud noises while driving which supossedly can be fixed with a hot oil flush. I can't wait til it is paid off, I plan to sell it and never buy another ford again. Dealing with Fords incompitant employees is another problem I will not miss. Problem after problem after problem.

LOVE MY FORD ESCAPE!!!!
By pumpkin2008

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased an 08 ford escape limited used. I love this SUV, it drives so smooth for a 4WD and handles very well. It is very roomy. I can't wait to try it out in the snow this winter. Gas milage isn't bad for a 4WD, very happy with my purchase.

Favorite Features

Sound system,6 disc CD player.