Used 2008 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 217 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love my Escape, but has issues!
By JLF

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 08 Escape since June 07. On average it gets 20 MPG, which is suitable for me. Now, for the issues... first problem was at 24,000 miles, the tires needed to be replaced due to cupping noise despite the fact that I rotated them 3 times. Next, the water pump went at 27,000 miles. At 30,000 miles it was in the shop again for a transmission coolant leak. Also had to replace the black trim by the door windows, coating peels off. Other issues: seat fabric spots--like they've been spilled on a lot, but haven't!-looks nasty and old. Also, annoying rattle somewhere in back. I think that covers it!! Still, overall I love it! Lease is up in a year and I don't want to give it back!

It is really fun to drive, walks through tons of snow without flinching- cool intelligent 4WD-no buttons to push!.. has a great sound system, moon roof, etc. The exterior is very attractive! Love that it has an ipod jack. Sirius radio:)

Change the seat fabric, it stinks! Wish the headrests tilted forward more.

window woes
By tom burns

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

the intermittent rear wiper is inadequate on wet highway driving, the delay is too long between wipes causing rear window to get too dirty, causing poor rear visibility. the windsheild on my current vehicle has been hit and chipped by flying rocks no fewer than 10 times in 18 months, that is 10 times more than my previous 40 years of driving, coincidence or aerodynamics? the interior is too noisy on the highway and makes listening to the very good sound system a frustrating experience.

seat folding arrangement and heated front seats

better sound proofing. a constant mode for rear wiper or make a change to to rear end to deflect road spray.

Transmission issue while towing
By NICHOLAS

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Last week, I was carrying 1100 lbs of household goods from Vandenberg AFB, Lompoc, CA to Malstrom AFB, Great Falls, MT, when I experienced major transmission problems. The Transmission Cooler sprung a leak, causing 5 qts of tran. fluid to leak out. The gears wouldn't shift correctly from first to second gear and the car was stalling at every stop light. After a $900 bill, I thought the issue was the weight, but the car could tow over 3500 lbs, according to the manual. If I were you, I wouldn't buy this car or you will eventually have the same problems. The car is under powered and Ford's manufacturing quality is still poor.

I like three things. The dash is well organized and the overall structure seems very robust for hard use. The interior is appealing, though the seats are cheap. The best part is the exterior, it looks good from the outside to fool you how poor the engine on the inside.

Well, I think the biggest problem is the quality. The Ford Escape can't tow more then 900 lbs, when Ford says it can tow 3500 lbs. Don't buy this car.

Great Car!
By Sarah

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely LOVE my new Ford Escape. I've had it for about 6 months now, and I love it just as much today as the first day I bought it. The design is so gorgeous inside and out. The V6 has a lot of get up. It's extremely comfortable. I see other Escapes on the road and smile because it really is a GREAT looking car. Everyone who rides in it is surprised by how nice it really is. In fact, a friend of mine went out and bought one last week. I definitely recommend this to everyone.

The sound system is great! The Sun roof, Comfortable ride, the look, AND the key pad on the door for if I lock my keys in the car...THAT is wonderful!

I love my ESCAPE!!!
By Fernando, Canada

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my ESCAPE in 08/2008 and I simply love this vehicle. For a V6, fuel economy is great. I have the FWD version and it is great in the snow. So far the only issue I've noticed is that sometimes the temperature indicator switches C to F, but you can correct it manually, no big deal.

Security, size, fuel economy, exterior design, sound system, cargo space.